RIP Bob Gibson

Sorry Crimson.  I did not see your post and started one about Gibson on the baseball board.   

What a phenomenal pitcher, right?   Just masterful.   RIP, Bob Gibson.   Will never forget how he turned my Yankees during the World Series into guys who had never seen a baseball before.  True legend.

• Upvote 3

RIP.

First World Series that I ever remember watching was Cards v Red Sox in 1967.  Gibson was dominant.  3 starts.  3 complete games.  3 Wins.  He even hit a home run in the game 7 win.  One of my earliest non NY Met baseball memories was Gibson vs the Sox in that Series.  Followed it up with the 1.12 ERA for the 1968 season.  One of the greats.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Lith said:

RIP.

First World Series that I ever remember watching was Cards v Red Sox in 1967.  Gibson was dominant.  3 starts.  3 complete games.  3 Wins.  He even hit a home run in the game 7 win.  One of my earliest non NY Met baseball memories was Gibson vs the Sox in that Series.  Followed it up with the 1.12 ERA for the 1968 season.  One of the greats.

and while we are at it..Fukk the SOX!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Age 84

One the greatest pitchers I ever saw. 

RIP Bob

He was before my time but I've heard occasional stories about his greatness on baseball telecasts.  Also, I did know he had a 1.12 ERA one season.  Absolutely remarkable!

• Upvote 1

Bib Uecker told a wonderful story. One day, he found himself catching Gibson with the Cardinals.Gibson gave up a homer, and Uecker took a few steps toward the mound to "calm" the HoFer.. Gibson told him"Get your fat drunk f__in' ass back behind the plate. The only thing you know about pitching, Uecker, is you cant f__in' hit it". End of mound conference.  RIP

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Bib Uecker told a wonderful story. One day, he found himself catching Gibson with the Cardinals.Gibson gave up a homer, and Uecker took a few steps toward the mound to "calm" the HoFer.. Gibson told him"Get your fat drunk f__in' ass back behind the plate. The only thing you know about pitching, Uecker, is you cant f__in' hit it". End of mound conference.  RIP

I remember hearing that story too

• Upvote 1