What Was Darnold's #1 Shortcoming/Flaw?

2 minutes ago, phill1c said:

I wouldn't agree. He's not very good AT ALL for making plays after a play has broken down.

• He takes unnecessary sacks (that's just after the play has broken down).
  • He often throws when he should run and runs when he should throw.
  • And he's inaccurate: I saw a couple of throws where, unpressured, he just threw high and wide.

When I stated "While I think Darnold wants to be a great QB, he got to be the 3d pick in the whole draft just being Sam Darnold, an athlete who goes through the motions at practice with a freaky good knack for making plays after a play has broken down" it was meant to describe his play in college, not in the pros. 

1 minute ago, Sonny Werblin said:

When I stated "While I think Darnold wants to be a great QB, he got to be the 3d pick in the whole draft just being Sam Darnold, an athlete who goes through the motions at practice with a freaky good knack for making plays after a play has broken down" it was meant to describe his play in college, not in the pros. 

gotcha...

Make no mistake, I really wanted Darnold to be good. But it really hurt to see Josh Allen this year being all that he can be while Our Guy just plain sucks. I kinda had a suspicion when Baker Mayfield upstaged him in their first contest. Mayfield came out smoking. Our Guy just looked sorry and lost.

40 minutes ago, phill1c said:

gotcha...

Make no mistake, I really wanted Darnold to be good. But it really hurt to see Josh Allen this year being all that he can be while Our Guy just plain sucks. I kinda had a suspicion when Baker Mayfield upstaged him in their first contest. Mayfield came out smoking. Our Guy just looked sorry and lost.

I agree. I now wonder if everyone had his evaluation wrong because of his Rose Bowl game. Take away the Rose Bowl and is he still the second QB taken? 

I'd like to look for film of that Rose Bowl because my recollection was that Darnold was very vocal and animated in that game. Do I just remember it wrong? He seems so "not into the game" now. Was he that way in his rookie season?