Chris Simms: Deshaun Watson prepared to sit out 2021

21 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Interesting question.  I think it's harder for the acquiring team because they are six weeks in and making a switch while getting him used to a new system is probably another 1-2 weeks of learning curve.  Just guessing on that, but it seems likely.  At that point of the season, it might also lower the number of teams that are interested in making the mid-season switch.  Say you are 5-3 and your starting QB (e.g. Tua or Sam) is playing well.  Can you really do that as easily then?  Would you pay as much at that point?  

Also, some of the teams interested now might draft a rookie in the 1st round.  If we took Fields or Wilson, are we really going to go all-in for Watson at that point?

So I do think some teams would still be all over it, but his value would likely be lower - especially if the Jets and Dolphins have reasons to pass at that point.

I was thinking more along the lines of a team that has a great D and is being held back by their QB. Like, let's say the Bears are a quarter into the season and Trubitsky, or whoever is their QB, is preventing them from being an elite team.

9 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I was thinking more along the lines of a team that has a great D and is being held back by their QB. Like, let's say the Bears are a quarter into the season and Trubisky, or whoever is their QB, is preventing them from being an elite team.

Right.  But at that point, what will CHI have to offer.  Nothing close to what NYJ and MIA could potentially offer now.  It would be harder to trade players back at that point without hurting your team's chances in other ways.  At least in the offseason you can replace them.

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Right.  But at that point, what will CHI have to offer.  Nothing close to what NYJ and MIA could potentially offer now.  It would be harder to trade players back at that point without hurting your team's chances in other ways.  At least in the offseason you can replace them.

I think "potentially" offer is the key. I don't see the JD trading away that much in draft assets and players when the Jets are currently so devoid of talent. Miami? Maybe? But that would mean they are punting on Tua already. So, I am not too sure. 

So, what if the neither the Jets or Fins make the "big" offer? Where does that leave the Texans? Just take the best offer from any team Watson is willing to waive his no trade clause for? I think the odds are long on that. 

A team like the bears has all of their picks in 2022 and 2023. They could certainly put together a bunch of them to trade for Watson when a player of his ilk is the difference between just battling for a playoff spot or a deep playoff run.

I just think if the Texans are resigned to trading Watson, they've also accepted the notion that they will be tearing the whole thing down and starting all over. So, they can afford to be less desperate and more patient.