Vince Young answers his Wonderlic score critics

faba

ung calls Wonderlic reports 'disrespectful'ESPN.com news services

[url=http://log.go.com/log?srvc=sz&guid=9422B621-05EB-4D5E-8C3D-2A1209C4FA7D&drop=0&addata=1332:275:218152:65&a=1&goto=http://www.mobileespn.com?campaign=mobile&source=insider_ah]

ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. -- For nearly a week, University of Texas quarterback Vince Young has had his intelligence discussed, dissected and demeaned in the wake of reported Wonderlic test scores at the NFL scouting combine.

Young

Young, who was honored Friday at the 69th annual Maxwell Award ceremonies, would not answer specific questions about the Wonderlic test but did acknowledge how upsetting the reports have been.

"It hurts a little bit, and I think it's very disrespectful. But it's cool, it's cool," Young said. "I know what I can do, and I'm going to continue doing what I'm doing."

Young's agent, Major Adams, brushed off criticism of Young, saying some of it was expected.

"People are going to try to bring him down between the Rose Bowl and the draft day," Adams said. "They will try to take shots at him, and he hasn't done anything wrong, so we just take it with a grain of salt."

The 6-foot-5, 230-pound Young led Texas to a 41-38 Rose Bowl victory over USC in college football's national championship game. He could be a potential No. 1 overall pick by the Houston Texans in next month's NFL draft.

"A rumor is a rumor to me, it's just like high school, they say you kissed some girl, but you really didn't, so that's how I feel about it," said Young, referring to the reported Wonderlic test scores.

Young has kept his sense of humor, and relied on advice from players like Steve McNair, who also faced his share of doubters coming out of college. He's also gotten the support of reigning NFL MVP Shaun Alexander, a fellow honoree at Friday's Maxwell Awards.

"Tests are tests to me," Alexander said. "The key thing with any football player is, what can he do when he gets on the field."

Scouting directors around the league have emphasized the Wonderlic is just a small part of their overall evaluation of Young, and are giving him plenty of tests of their own. "I don't really care about the criticism, because I'm pretty much used to it," young said. "There's always something about Vince. ... I feel like I've overcome all of that, turned out pretty good, so I want to continue to do that in the NFL as well."

I didn't see any answers in those statements at all. Basically, he said he's doing his best to ignore the whole thing. He really does need an experienced agent.... this guy is killin him.

Hmm, maybe. But I do like his mentality. This kid is going to be good a lot sooner than people think...never underestimate the abilities of someone that thinks they have something to prove to the world. Vince Young, we already know, isn't someone that crumbles under pressure. That's the one thing I've always liked about this kid than anything else, I do not think anyone has as much heart as he does. I love rooting for an underdog. I'd still like to have him, but I guess we will see what happens.

Yes Vince, we know, we know, you are the greatest because you beat USC in the Rose Bowl and now everybody loves you. Guess what? You're not all that. Infact, you blow. You can't run as well as Michael Vick and you can't throw as accurate either. Michael F'n Vick is a better QB then Vince Young. If Vick had a #1 playmaking WR then you would see actually how accurate Vick would become...he could launch himself into the Top 15, possibly Top 10 of QB rankings in the NFL. Vince Young will never even sniff that list wheter it be with Houston, New Orleans, Tennessee or Arizona. Young blows. Face the facts. Too many people have made too much because of his Rose Bowl play. Now people will say, "No, no, no! I've liked him for 2 years at Texas and thought he was the greatest!"...oh yeah? Bull****. Young blows and when he hits the NFL scene it will be as bad as Ryan Leaf. Except Young will actually stay in the league for a bit longer, maybe even for 10-12 years...as a career back-up after a couple of years of failure as the lead QB in New Orleans, Tennessee or Arizona.

200 words.... that just might be his entire vocabulary! :bag:

I doubt that. I've heard a few of his interviews. He's actually very well spoken compared to some of the yahoos who wind up in the NFL. "Can't nobody block me."

I doubt that. I've heard a few of his interviews. He's actually very well spoken compared to some of the yahoos who wind up in the NFL. "Can't nobody block me."

Husker,

Who is the complete idiot who uttered those words?

Must be one real dumb son of a bit*ch.

Not too bad for a thug/rapper.

Not very good for a college grad.

Hey Alk, if the wonderlic test holds no water, why do the teams insist that their multi-million-dollar-investments-to-be take it?

a) a silly hoax

B) nothing better to do at combine time

c) payola & kickbacks from the wonderlick people

d) all of the above

I would think it has nothing to do with the teams themselves and alot more to do with the NFL themselves.

I would think it has nothing to do with the teams themselves and alot more to do with the NFL themselves.

ooo im sorry alk, as with every jetstone question, the answer was actually...

e) ALL HAIL BOLLYWOOD

terry bradshaw couldnt tie his own shoes and he won four superbowls...but i guess we're supposed to ignore stuff like that when it comes to discussing vince young, right?

Vince's reputation came by way of a test. Bradshaw's no Norman Einstein, but his reputation for stupidity was a creation of Hollywood Henderson trying to break his balls.

"Terry Bradshaw couldn't spell "cat" if you spotted him the "c" and the "t"."

Keep in mind-Bradway had as good a cast around him on both sides of the ball as you could imagine. If the jets had traded Joe Namath straight up for Bradshaw in 1972, Namath wins 5 more Super Bowls and extends his career a year or 2. heck give Vince Young or ANYONE that cast-2 WRs(Swann and Stallworth), RB(Harris), 1 Center(Webster) all in HoF; solid OL play; a great blocking RB in Bleier who could run himself; 4 or 5 HoF guys(Ham, Lambert, Greene, Bount, Greenwood) on defense and solid cast all around-and damn near any QB would win. Bradshaw also was yanked for Terry Hanratty and Joe Gilliam at various times during his career. Just because they gave him a Canton bust for 4 Lombardis he was part of doesn't make him a great QB. If your big argument is Bradshaw was so dumb, so it's no big deal, look at the whole picture. In fact, Bradshaw was always at odds with the HC, his teammates and fans because he was such a dumba$$. If anything, it's less of a reason to draft an idiot.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/qbindex.htm

Keep in mind-Bradway had as good a cast around him on both sides of the ball as you could imagine. If the jets had traded Joe Namath straight up for Bradshaw in 1972, Namath wins 5 more Super Bowls and extends his career a year or 2. heck give Vince Young or ANYONE that cast-2 WRs(Swann and Stallworth), RB(Harris), 1 Center(Webster) all in HoF; solid OL play; a great blocking RB in Bleier who could run himself; 4 or 5 HoF guys(Ham, Lambert, Greene, Bount, Greenwood) on defense and solid cast all around-and damn near any QB would win. Bradshaw also was yanked for Terry Hanratty and Joe Gilliam at various times during his career. Just because they gave him a Canton bust for 4 Lombardis he was part of doesn't make him a great QB. If your big argument is Bradshaw was so dumb, so it's no big deal, look at the whole picture. In fact, Bradshaw was always at odds with the HC, his teammates and fans because he was such a dumba$$. If anything, it's less of a reason to draft an idiot.

I think you're undervaluing how important Bradshaw was to the team. I mean recent history to me seems to prove this: Dilfer was merely an adequate QB, but after he was released the Ravens were nowhere near prominence again, Peyton Manning has had a supremely talented offense for years, and this year he had the defense, but he still failed, and those aren't the only examples. You have to have a certain degree of ability in order to win even 1 SB, no matter how good the rest of your team is, and you've certainly got to have it for 4. Obviously Namath had that ability since he won 1. But you can't just take a non-SB winning QB and plug him in. Tommy Maddox wasn't going to win the SB if he was the Steelers QB this year.

Yes Vince, we know, we know, you are the greatest because you beat USC in the Rose Bowl and now everybody loves you. Guess what? You're not all that. Infact, you blow. You can't run as well as Michael Vick and you can't throw as accurate either. Michael F'n Vick is a better QB then Vince Young. If Vick had a #1 playmaking WR then you would see actually how accurate Vick would become...he could launch himself into the Top 15, possibly Top 10 of QB rankings in the NFL. Vince Young will never even sniff that list wheter it be with Houston, New Orleans, Tennessee or Arizona. Young blows. Face the facts. Too many people have made too much because of his Rose Bowl play. Now people will say, "No, no, no! I've liked him for 2 years at Texas and thought he was the greatest!"...oh yeah? Bull****. Young blows and when he hits the NFL scene it will be as bad as Ryan Leaf. Except Young will actually stay in the league for a bit longer, maybe even for 10-12 years...as a career back-up after a couple of years of failure as the lead QB in New Orleans, Tennessee or Arizona.

I agree. I can also see him getting injured. A running qb in the nfl doesnt usually hold up too well. To me he seems like a cullpepper

Bradshaw was a great dumb QB as was Namath. All you have to do is look at Namath

Archived