Euro 2020

19 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

The analogies are to decide an NFL game with a FG kicking contest, or an NBA game with a free throw shooting contest, or use a HR derby to decide a baseball game.

I have used that FGs analogy for a long time now.  I know it's exciting.  But PKs do not represent the game or a fair way to determine a winner.  

In the old FA Cup, teams tied after regulation would play the next day.  That's not possible now.  But I think they should just keep playing with "golden goal" after the extra 30.  Plus, let coaches substitute more players.

Italy played to win it more than England did so at the end of the day you have to question the conservative approach from Southgate.

Munch I am not sure i understood your rants against the Ref. I thought Italy were hacking at anything that moved in the last half hour and were probably lucky to get "only" the number of yellow cards that they actually did get.  In any event there no red cards and the hacking was not the difference in the game no matter which team was doing more of it.

Congrats on being Euro 2020 champions to Italy!!!

Sitting on a lead from the 46th minute on is totally stupid and we deserved what we got.

Oh, and penalties suck.

• Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, EM31 said:

Italy played to win it more than England did so at the end of the day you have to question the conservative approach from Southgate.

Munch I am not sure i understood your rants against the Ref. I thought Italy were hacking at anything that moved in the last half hour and were probably lucky to get "only" the number of yellow cards that they actually did get.  In any event there no red cards and the hacking was not the difference in the game no matter which team was doing more of it.

Congrats on being Euro 2020 champions to Italy!!!

Sitting on a lead from the 46th minute on is totally stupid and we deserved what we got.

Oh, and penalties suck.

I want to end this thread with us being the friends we were before the final.  

Not the game I expected, Especially with the once vaunted Italian defense getting burned badly off England's goal at two minutes in.  Wide open Luke Shaw for a gorgeous shot and goal.  As the Italy coach, I would have flipped.  If England kept attacking?  Think it would have been a differnt outcome.

Again, sorry for the loss.

8 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

South Gate blew it 25years ago and again tonight. Why didn’t Grealish or Henderson take the kick instead of these young kids?

I'm not that close to it. I watch a few games during the World Cup and I watched a few of these as well. I am just shocked that a sport can be so popular with so few scoring chances in 118 minutes of play.  It was clear to me that England was trying to protect a 1-0 lead for 58 minutes after scoring and that such a strategy is viable in a sport that has few scoring chances- and that teams play/hope to get the game to penalty shots where the overall talent is equalized and luck becomes important.  The amazing June 28th games - Spain/ Croatia and France- Switzerland - were an aberration.   I am partial to US sports such as football, but also hockey and lacrosse ,both of which I find much more exciting because of the many multiples of more scoring chances and action and because neither have the ridiculous skills competition to end a meaningful tie game (hockey's shootout is comparable, but it is not used - thankfully- in the playoffs). 

• Upvote 1