Euro 2020

12 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Congratulations @munchmemory it was a great game and while I think Spain were better on the night I think Italy are the better side. Spain were really just a bad matchup for Italy, I felt that way before the game. 

Now hopefully Denmark will do me a favour and let me actually enjoy the final.

:D

14 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Congratulations @munchmemory it was a great game and while I think Spain were better on the night I think Italy are the better side. Spain were really just a bad matchup for Italy, I felt that way before the game. 

Thanks, IJ.  I'm completely drained from that match.  One of the best back & forth games I've seen in a while.

Agree that Spain was the better team today.  Italy looked like they were running on fumes at the end.  And how about the way sports has you as a hero one minute and a goat the next?  Crazy how Morata rode the victory wagon into the abyss.  I hate PK endings.

I did not like Chiesa holding his hamstring when he went out.  That will be a huge loss if he can't play.

15 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

I don't have your life experiences sir but this whole hatred of the English thing is almost William Wallace-esque.  We have been pretty good at stabbing ourselves in the eyeball with a rusty dagger without any help from outside.  Just look no further than 55 years of futility if any proof of that point is needed.

This current team are kids for the most part, many of mixed heritage including Irish and I am not sure what any of them ever did to you.

England has had the best top flight football league in the world for years and finally there are lots of "home-grown" players to play along side the imported foreign talent.  They may not win this tournament and they may not even win tomorrow's game but I think they have foundational players who should be good for years to come.  So if rooting against the English is your thing then you might be in for a rough decade.

23 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

@EM31 Less than three hours away.   You gotta be goin' nuts.

England must make like the mythical Arthur and pull Excalibur (a win) from the stone.  

sword-775x515-6cf4930f-f8c3-49cd-9482-dd

Best of luck.  Hope to see you in the final when we will be in the midst of a blood feud. lol

LOL

Alfred the great might be a more correct reference if you want a king who sent the Vikings back across the sea (for a time)

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, EM31 said:

if the final two games can conclude without the need for penalties I would settle for that right now.

FIFA needs to fix this method.   You see last night's Argentina-Colombia match?  Non-stop action which ended in PKs.  For some odd reason, the Copa America does not go to extra time after regulation (only for the final).  Right to PKs.   Hated to see that fantastic match end with PKs.  Although the Argentina keeper played out of his mind and stopped three.   That was fun to see.

21 hours ago, munchmemory said:

If you have the skill, top corners are the way to go.

Agree, I hate these horrible hop, skip and jump, dance and shuffle runups, followed by a dinky little penalty that more and more players seem to like doing. Always get a little bit of satisfaction when they miss. Just run up and bury it into the top corner. 

Could be interesting, France lose to Switzerland on penos who lose to Spain on penos, who lose to italy on penos who...,

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, EM31 said:

Denmark goal gave England a bit of a kick in the ass.  Before that they were clueless.

Hopefully halftime does not restore their cluelessness.

I love how all these matches are being played end to end.  Nice to see teams looking to score rather than going on defense.

1 minute ago, Irish Jet said:

Garbage decision.

There was a slight foul.  But I agree, bush league call.

Fantastic save by Schmeichel.  Unlucky on the rebound with no defender within a mile.  Great follow up by Kane.

Denmark went all in on defense and deserve to lose.  England out played them.

Well, that wasn't a penalty but I thought the earlier one on Kane should have been a penalty so VAR got it wrong twice IMO.

Sterling and Grealish may be the two biggest floppers in the Premier league.

It has to be said that Denmark sat back completely in OT and the last 5-10 minutes of regulation which was inexplicable.

Long story short I am happy to be there but Italy gonna kill us on Sunday.

39 minutes ago, EM31 said:

Well, that wasn't a penalty but I thought the earlier one on Kane should have been a penalty so VAR got it wrong twice IMO.

It has to be said that Denmark sat back completely in OT and the last 5-10 minutes of regulation which was inexplicable.

Exactly what I said, too.  Just did not understand the coach's move.  Took out anyone who could score and hoped for a miracle.

No question England was the better team.  Except for Schmeichel who is world class, Denmark looked spent and emotionally drained by the end.  But after the Eriksen incident and losing their first two games, no one and their mother thought they would be in the semi-final.  Kudos to them.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, EM31 said:

Sterling was fouled; he got past both Maehle  and Jensen and Schmeichel was playing the cross. If they hadn’t high-lowed Sterling he has a wide open near post and would have scored…Jensen was covering for the center back, number 3 who neither $#@t nor got off the pot…he should have covered when Sterling first got past Maehle and left someone at the far post to fill and cover the cross…

54 minutes ago, Awesumtenor said:

Sterling was fouled; he got past both Maehle  and Jensen and Schmeichel was playing the cross. If they hadn’t high-lowed Sterling he has a wide open near post and would have scored…Jensen was covering for the center back, number 3 who neither $#@t nor got off the pot…he should have covered when Sterling first got past Maehle and left someone at the far post to fill and cover the cross…

Agree to disagree on that.  The earlier non-call on Kane was a far bigger mistake by the Ref IMO.  Maybe he got word at the end of regulation that he had screwed it up and that influenced the Sterling call.