Urban Meyer & Trent Baalke subpoenaed in Iowa Football Federal Lawsuit

Urban Meyer, Baalke subpoenaed in Iowa football lawsuit (audacy.com)

Jaguars officials subpoenaed in lawsuit accusing coach of racist bullying

By Dan Mennella, Audacy Sports

13 hours ago

The head coach and general manager of the Jacksonville Jaguars have been subpoenaed in a federal lawsuit involving a former strength coach who left the team amid backlash earlier this year.

Jaguars coach Urban Meyer and GM Trent Baalke were subpoenaed in a federal lawsuit filed in Iowa over allegations of racial discrimination in the Iowa Hawkeyes football program.

RELATED

In February, former Iowa strength coach Chris Doyle resigned from the Jaguars, only days after he was hired, amid accusations by several Black former Iowa players that he had tried to motivate players through racist bullying, frequently criticizing their hairstyles and clothes, and threatening to send players who couldn't meet his demanding workout goals "back to the ghetto." The lawsuit also claims those who spoke out against Doyle were punished with retaliation.

Doyle reportedly left Iowa with a separation payout of roughly $1.1M before landing his short-lived gig in Jacksonville.

The subpoena seeks testimony from the Jaguars officials about Doyle's abrupt exit.

Baalke and Meyer submitted written responses rather than appearing at court proceedings in person, the team said.

"We respect and will cooperate with the legal process as required," the team said. "However, the Jaguars have no information that would be relevant to the lawsuit between student-athletes and the University of Iowa."

An investigation by an outside law firm found that the program "perpetuated racial and culture biases and diminished the value of cultural diversity," and permitted coaches to belittle players with impunity, ESPN reported.

At the time of his hire, Meyer said he had known Doyle for a long time and personally vetted him for the Jaguars job.

"I feel great about the hire," Meyer said.

Days later, Doyle was gone.

I literally think Meyer is a total pussy forcing this guy to resign. I don't care about character issues or if someone says some sh*tty things. Can you help us score touchdowns and win games? Cool then commit felony speeding, flee from the cops, resist arrest, then threaten to **** a cops wife and nut in her eye.

This post may piss some people off but whatever. This is the stance of most coaches and GMs in football and one look at any roster confirms this. It's also the stance of most fan bases in regards to their own players and personell.

• Thumb Down 2

53 minutes ago, Ajjets10 said:

I literally think Meyer is a total pussy forcing this guy to resign. I don't care about character issues or if someone says some sh*tty things. Can you help us score touchdowns and win games? Cool then commit felony speeding, flee from the cops, resist arrest, then threaten to **** a cops wife and nut in her eye.

This post may piss some people off but whatever. This is the stance of most coaches and GMs in football and one look at any roster confirms this. It's also the stance of most fan bases in regards to their own players and personell.

Urban Meyer chucks headset after refs call unsatisfactory ...