THE NEW STADIUM: The latest news...

BaumerJet

Giants, Jets face double rent

Officials are re-evaluating agreement on a new Meadowlands stadium

Thursday, March 09, 2006 BY MATTHEW FUTTERMAN

Star-Ledger Staff

State officials say they want to double the amount of money the Jets and Giants will pay New Jersey each year to build a stadium in the Meadowlands and may try to eliminate the state's planned $30million contribution to the project.

Those positions represent a substantial departure from an agreement former Gov. Richard Codey reached with the football teams last year and could ultimately jeopardize the project.

Carl Goldberg, chairman of the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority, and George Zoffinger, the agency's chief executive, outlined the new stance during a meeting with The Star-Ledger's editorial board Tuesday.

Goldberg and Zoffinger said that given the state's $5billion budget shortfall, Gov. Jon Corzine is right to re-evaluate last year's "memorandum of understanding," or MOU, with the Jets and Giants as the two sides attempt to reach a final development agreement on the project.

Under the MOU, the state is to receive $5million a year in rent. On Tuesday, Zoffinger said state officials now believe the teams should pay twice that amount.

"It doesn't make sense that the teams are going to make, according to their own calculations, $185million on this stadium and the state gets $5million," he said.

Zoffinger later said a combined payment of $8million might be acceptable.

Goldberg, meanwhile, said he was considering trying to negotiate away the state's $30million obligation to improve the infrastructure of the sports complex.

"It would take me five minutes to renegotiate and remove the $30million," Goldberg said. "They are spending nearly $1billion. At that level, $30million becomes a rounding error."

Until now, the football teams have said they were open to minor adjustments in the MOU, but believe the state should stick by the deal Codey made last year. If the two sides can't finalize a deal, the Giants can force the state to spend an estimated $350million to renovate the current stadium.

Yesterday, Alice McGillion, a spokesman for the Jets and Giants stadium venture, made it clear that without a deal for a new stadium, the state would be on the hook for a very expensive renovation of the teams' current home.

"Not only is the new stadium agreement a win for taxpayers, it also places the NJSEA in a much better position than the status quo," McGillion said. "The agreement relieves the NJSEA of an obligation to spend as much as $500million for its state-of-the-art obligation, provides for $1billion of private investment and generates $35million in annual tax revenue."

Last year's deal, reached initially with the Giants in April and then extended to the Jets in September, called for the tenants of the new stadium to pay $5million each year to lease 75 acres at the Meadowlands Sports Complex. In addition, the teams would make a $1.3million tax payment to East Rutherford and cover the costs of building the $900million stadium. In return, the state agreed to spend $30million to fix roads and utilities to accommodate the new stadium.

Zoffinger has insisted for months that the teams were not spending enough money. The argument fell on deaf ears with Codey, for whom a new football stadium was a top priority, but has gained a more sympathetic audience with Corzine.

Anthony Coley, a spokesman for Corzine, said the governor wants the teams in New Jersey, but he is evaluating last year's deal and considering changes.

"The governor wants to make sure that the interests of the public are served," Coley said. "He has directed our new treasurer, Bradley Abelow, to review the deal to make sure the state is getting the full economic value from the deal."

For their part, the teams want to wrap up a deal as soon as possible, break ground early next year, and open the new stadium for the 2010 season.

Corzine wants the project to happen, but has been insistent that it include a roof so the stadium could be used for the Super Bowl, the NCAA Final Four, conventions and other major events.

A roof would cost an extra $180million, and the teams have expressed little interest in paying for it. Also, they say an open-air stadium gives them a distinct home-field advantage during the second half of their season.

http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/jersey/index.ssf?/base/news-2/114188600267860.xml&coll=1&thispage=1

Looks to me like Zoffinger is puting his fingers in our deal again. He wants a dome so the NJSEA can get a piece of the NON-NFL events & for the 1st time I have to agree. If Corzine pushes this too much, I say we force them into the $250 million in upgrades & consider another site a few years from now for a new COMBINED STADIUM!

That should let Trenton & the schmuck who was more happy to see ZANADU (Zoffinger) than letting both NFL teams remain in NJ know how much money the state will really lose if they move!

I think the Jets should just stop playing football. It just isn't working out. Sometimes these things happen. Not everything is meant to be.

They lose consistently. NY doesn't want them. NJ doesn't want them. The last four coaches all wanted to leave.

Seriously let's just call it a day and say that we gave it a try. They can give the franchise a new name and move it to the West Coast.

A big giant do-over. The Jets simply put, were not meant to be!

Seems like a bait and switch by New Jersey. Void the deal and come on home!

What he said.

Seriously, bring the Green and White back to Flushing, which is close to Hofstra, and get the heck out of the swamp/garbage dump that is jersey.

If NJ is complaining about the deal now because they have a

5 billion dollars budget shortfall, the Jets should relocate to

Florida. We have 5 billion more than we need this year.

Looking for ways to spend it.

Plus since I've been down here I think there are more jet fans

than Miami fans in Florida or at least dedicated and not fly by night.

Build it in central florida to make it accessible for the whole state

and it will be filled up every game.

If NJ is complaining about the deal now because they have a

5 billion dollars budget shortfall, the Jets should relocate to

Florida. We have 5 billion more than we need this year.

Looking for ways to spend it.

Plus since I've been down here I think there are more jet fans

than Miami fans in Florida or at least dedicated and not fly by night.

Build it in central florida to make it accessible for the whole state

and it will be filled up every game.

I agree with building in south fla ,i also believe that there are more jet fans here, just so we can get on the dolfags nevers. I'am dedicated brother and i live here now J.E.T.S GO JETS:cheers:

Guys, wake me when the Jets actually get their own stadium built. Until then, I'll just go back to sleep.

This is tiresome.

Agreed.

Whether it's high school, college, or the pros, having your own stadium makes a difference a the team's success. Hey, the Mets don't play in "Yankee" stadium. Why should the Jets play in "Giants" stadium?

Archived