The Jets Targeting Stop Gap Players

YJF

Jets fans are seeing many veteran free agents being named as possibilities for The Jets in free agency and it's leaving alot of Jets fans puzzled.

This is a team that is expected to start over, rebuild and go into a youth movement. So when fans see a 40 year old DT in Ted Washington and a 35 year old DE in Kimo Von Oehlhoffen being considered. Fans start to question the real direction of the team. They shouldn't. Here's why.

After all the player cuts and The jets players on the open market. The Jets have a total of 51 players signed to contracts right now on their roster. If you take a deep look at the roster. There are about only 30 players that are pretty much locks to make the roster. The rest of the players are 1 and 2 year players with very little NFL playing experience. These are longshots to make the roster.

22 of the players have only been in The NFL for one year. These players were practice squad guys and late season pickups due to injuries, many of them were players who were cut in camp last year and were signed after The 2005 season to future contracts.

The Jets have only 5 players that are 30 or older on their entire roster. 41 of their 51 contracted players have 4 years or less experience in The NFL... So why are The Jets targeting veteran players. It's simple.

When new regimes take over teams, They can't address every single area through the draft. They have to fortify their roster with veterans who fit their formula of player. These guys are brought in as stop gap and hold the forte type players until young players are developed underneath them to take over.

Parcells has done this everywhere he has gone. He'd bring in his type of guys regardless of age. Belichick has done this in New England, bringing in stop gap players to fortify positions. See Otis Smith, Anthony Pleasant, Bryan Cox etc when BB went to The Pats. Just because they bring in older and experienced players, It doesn't mean that those positions don't get addressed in the draft. Belichick in New England, signed Keith Traylor before he drafted Vince Wilfork. Traylor was with the team for just one season before Vince took over as the teams NT.

So when you see names like Washington, Kimo, Ashworth,Hopkins, Ramsey etc... These are guys that the new staff likes that are stop gap players and not neccesarily long term answers.....

The Jets need stop gap players and hold the forte guys at QB, OT and on defense. The Jets could very well pass on some of these guys. But if The Jets trade for Patrick Ramsey. They are still going to draft a QB...If The Jets sign a Ted Washington, They are still going to look for a NT for the future in the draft, If The Jets sign a Brad Hopkins or Tom Ashworth, They are still going to draft a young OT and groom him to start in the future.

When you look at The Jets roster and depth. These type of moves are needed. Keep in mind, though that Mangini and Tannenbaum come from a training program that will stick to it's formula of the types of players, they will target and they will not break the bank for many guys. Despite having good cap room and more to come with Abraham's trade. The Jets are going to be a cost effective team that doesn't throw money away into just one player but rather may different areas at manageable costs.

At some point doesn't anyone think that you are giving these guys too much credit? they have proven nothing in the NFL and it is hard to assume all of these theories based on what their "mentors" have done. Just because BB or Parcells do things one way does not mean that Mangini and Mike T think the same way. It is possible yes but I am not handing out any awards yet.

But how cheap are these veterans gonna come?

I can understand signing an old NT, but then signing another old Dlineman to play defensive end?

I understand your post well, but I hope the Jets dont overspend on these old vets and have it come back to bite them in the a** with the cap in 2 years all over again. I mean, we should look to be major players in free agency in the upcoming seasons, so why bother signing alot of old vets right now? Guys like Hopkins, Kimo arent going to accept really cheap deals if they feel they can go to a better team and make more money.

At some point doesn't anyone think that you are giving these guys too much credit? they have proven nothing in the NFL and it is hard to assume all of these theories based on what their "mentors" have done. Just because BB or Parcells do things one way does not mean that Mangini and Mike T think the same way. It is possible yes but I am not handing out any awards yet.

Neither am I but I have listened to them in interviews. They have already told people what their philosophy is. You need stop gap and hold the forte players.

It's not just about age. It's about getting players who fit what you want and who are capable of doing what the new operation requires of it's players. That's the real key here.

Any regime regardless of what their origin and training has been, brings in familiar veterans to hold down the forte. I don't care if you come from The Walsh tree, The Dungy tree or The Vermeil tree. It doesn't matter.

I can understand signing an old NT, but then signing another old Dlineman to play defensive end?

I understand your post well, but I hope the Jets dont overspend on these old vets and have it come back to bite them in the a** with the cap in 2 years all over again. I mean, we should look to be major players in free agency in the upcoming seasons, so why bother signing alot of old vets right now? Guys like Hopkins, Kimo arent going to accept really cheap deals if they feel they can go to a better team and make more money.

Considering how young The Jets roster is, The Jets have weathered the cap storm already. With an infuison of perhaps double digit draft picks. The Jets are going to have alot of young players locked for the long term.

These older vets that come in are just 1 and 2 year solutions. The signings make sense. It gives you team flexibility and more options going into the draft. Fans should not be fooled, free agency is the base of your team, You are just laying the groundwork. The draft is where the real team bulding begins.

i just dont get it...............in a sense we are going to sign a bunch of old guys just to fulfill specific needs for the time being.instead of locking up a young guy Abe who is proven and will be a monster under the mangini defense.seems to me a bad philosphy

I agree with your point of view. There is little indication that these types of moves signal that the Jets won't try to address these weaknesses in the draft. Answer me this--why did they not just re-sign Kevin Mawae again. This guy has the heart of a Lion, stays in great shape and is a tireless worker. These guys they are loking at are just re-treads in my book.:confused:

i just dont get it...............in a sense we are going to sign a bunch of old guys just to fulfill specific needs for the time being.instead of locking up a young guy Abe who is proven and will be a monster under the mangini defense.seems to me a bad philosphy

Not so sure about the monster theory and here's why.

John Abraham would be a very good outside edge rusher on passing downs in The 3-4 but he provides very little else. He can't drop back and cover.

He's really just a pass rusher. He's improved against the run since he came out as a rookie but he's really just mediocre against the run.

The potential landing spots for Abraham are all 4-3 teams. John's best spot is at 4-3 DE. So you are commiting a huge portion of your cap for the next 5 years to a premiere pass rusher who isn't really premiere in other areas plus he has a history of injuries.

As for the old guys theory. It's irrelevant. Mangini is going after players who fit his formula. Regardless of age. It seems obvious to me. Maybe I'm alone.

Free Agency- Short Term

The Draft- Long Term

It's that simple.

I agree with your point of view. There is little indication that these types of moves signal that the Jets won't try to address these weaknesses in the draft. Answer me this--why did they not just re-sign Kevin Mawae again. This guy has the heart of a Lion, stays in great shape and is a tireless worker. These guys they are loking at are just re-treads in my book.:confused:

I don't like getting into this because I don't want to dog a player like Mawae.

Again, Mawae's issue had more to do with other things than money or age. It had to do with the way he was behind the scenes. Bit of a locker room lawyer who feels too entitled. As a leader, That stuff spreads throughout your roster.

I think that moving forward, A young head coach like Eric Mangini didn't want a power broker on his roster that could undermine him, the way that Mawae undermined Al Groh. Intentionally or not. There's no question that Mawae is a heck of a center but I think that was a real factor in why he was let go.

this is really the central question and as a general rule the longer a team waits in the free agency period the more affordable the player will become. The fact that the Jets haven't signed anyone backs YJF's theory.

YJF, you are a voice of reason. I agree, with one exception that just gets me PO'd. Kemoeatu. Carolina signed him, and didn't overpay. As far as I know, the Jets never perused him at all, and that is the first big mistake I see these two making. Good, under 30 3-4 NT's are hard to find. Maybe something happened, like his agent said he wanted to stay in a 4-3, but without knowing that, they blew it on Ma'ake.

I really wish this Fat Turd man would vanish though.... he's like a skid mark. Just won't go away, no matter how many times you wash those undies, no matter how much bleach. Once a skid mark makes a home, it's very difficult to remove or ignore.

This is crap and started on this forum. There is no stop gap player. A 40 year old DT and 35+ year old lineman show Mangini and Tannenbaums inexperience with dealing the freeg agent process.

So if Ted Washington and Kimo are signed by other teams. Are those teams idiots or inexperienced too?

The Browns are a young team building for the future and they just signed a 40 year old stop gap player in Ted Washington. I wonder why they signed him. Maybe because he fills a short term need immediately while The Browns look for someone to groom for that position in the future.

That's what a stop gap player is.

New Head Coach usually deals with what he has for a year before starting to spend some $$$ on FA... I understand that but I certainly DONT UNDERSTAND why Jets are working on a trade for Ramsey?....Is he our stopgap at QB or what?

Ramsey is a cheap, viable insurance policy if Pennington cannot perform. You cannot expect Vinny to come out of retirement again or Brooksie to be anything more than a 3rd stringer.

Ramsey is a cheap, viable insurance policy if Pennington cannot perform. You cannot expect Vinny to come out of retirement again or Brooksie to be anything more than a 3rd stringer.

But you have to give up 5th rounder this year and as high as 3rd rounder in 2007 for Ramsey... Jets may need those picks to build around the team..

This year draft is rich which that means we can get a good and solid player in 5th round..

I think Jets should hold on this trade until April 30th to see whoever is available leftover for 5th round.

Besides, I dont think Jets are working on Ramsey because he is cheap. They think Ramsey will be a solvent to their qb crap.

Should get Gray for 6th rounder if not 7th rounder...

But you have to give up 5th rounder this year and as high as 3rd rounder in 2007 for Ramsey... Jets may need those picks to build around the team..

This year draft is rich which that means we can get a good and solid player in 5th round..

I think Jets should hold on this trade until April 30th to see whoever is available leftover for 5th round.

Besides, I dont think Jets are working on Ramsey because he is cheap. They think Ramsey will be a solvent to their qb crap.

Should get Gray for 6th rounder if not 7th rounder...

The latset rumor is that the Jets have only offered a 7th.... smart move. maybe it will only be a 6th once it's all said and done, and ramsey for a 6th, I'm all in.

Certain people want to rush out and sign any available player out there-the more sensible strategy is to see what shapes up as the draft approaches and see what shakes out further along in free agency-

Realistically what free agent out there alone is going to turn the Jets into champions next year

teams.

but whos kicking for new england is the question?

See, that's the difference between the Pats and the Jets.

The Pats could give a crap about who is the kicker, but the Jets waste a 2nd rounder on one.

The Pats will find a great UDFA kicker that will put Nugent to shame.

That's the difference between a winning organization, such as the Pats, and a losing organization, such as the Jets.

Well, in all honesty, Miami will win the AFC East this year, not doubt about it. New England might still take the wildcard however cause Buffalo and their QB situation is something that will not be fixed this year. Jets are rebuilding....

I think that Mangini and Tannenbaum will pick up FA's that are inexpensive, temporary need fillers, and stay far enough under the cap to keep the guys that they consider the "core" players.

NE keeps guys like Wolfork, Seymour, Bruschi and Brady. Guys like Milloy and Law who aren't core players and demand to be over paid are allowed to leave. They will build through the draft, with an eye towards the long term success of the team. Teams that run out and continue to sign FA's like Washigton will always struggle from year to year. These guys will use FA's as gap fillers, temporay players to fill needs, at relatively low cost.

So, in this respect, I agree with that PatTex fan (sounds like a feminine hygene product), but he also thinks that someone like Billy Cundif will be better than Nugent..... that's pretty funny.

That should be required reading for any Jet fan out there.

Agreed.

I'll bet there are folks out there wondering why we didn't break the bank and go after Edge. He would have solved our RB woes, in theory.

Jets need to take it slow, and go with what can help a bit. Not that Splashy type of move.

I think that Mangini and Tannenbaum will pick up FA's that are inexpensive, temporary need fillers, and stay far enough under the cap to keep the guys that they consider the "core" players.

NE keeps guys like Wolfork, Seymour, Bruschi and Brady. Guys like Milloy and Law who aren't core players and demand to be over paid are allowed to leave.

Same logic is being applied to Abe this season.

Archived