Redskins are on the warpath...Abraham next?

NIGHT STALKER

ESPN Insider:

"Redskins hosting Abraham: The Redskins scheduled Jets defensive end John Abraham for a visit Sunday night after 49ers defensive end Andre Carter visited the facility but departed for a trip to Denver.

Abraham is a franchise player but the Jets are willing to trade him, and Abraham wants to be traded. What's interesting is whether the Redskins have enough draft choices to try to appease the Jets. Their No. 1 is with the Broncos. They have only a second, a fifth, two sixths and a seventh. Washington traded its No. 3 to the 49ers for wide receiver Brandon Lloyd along with a No. 4 in 2007.

This is Abraham's first visit. He's talking to four other teams, including the Seahawks and the Broncos. "

I understand, but what if the package includes Ramsey? Not saying I would like it...sucks. But, it might happen and we'll all vomit.

Terry Bradway isn't running the show anymore. We could get Ramsey for a 6th rounder and we can trade Abe for a 1st rounder. A second rounder and a sixth rounder does not equal a first rounder anymore.

I am with you on that Smizzy.

I don't wanna hear any Patrick Ramsey plus a 2nd day pick deal go down for Abe.

I'm with the both of you. I will go ape **** if that happens.

I can not figure this one out at all. WTF could the shins offer the Jets for Abe?

Nothing the new regime has done so far has me concerned about their ability to play hardball. After all the speculation about Ramsey, it turns out the Jets are offering a 7th rounder. Good move there realizing that their trading partner has no leverage. Same with Abraham, you can have him but you gotta pay. No Bradway butt raping anymore, we actually have competence in the Front Office.

What happens if the Skins just sign Abe to a contract? Do they give their 2007, and 2008 first rounders?

If Abe signs an offer sheet form the skins they owe us 2 first rd picks but they don't have one this yr so they can't. I don't think. Im not 100%.

If Abe signs an offer sheet form the skins they owe us 2 first rd picks but they don't have one this yr so they can't. I don't think. Im not 100%.

It would suck if they could and we had to wait that long to cash in.

Redskins | Team to visit with Abraham

Sun, 12 Mar 2006 22:35:39 -0800

ESPN.com's John Clayton reports the Washington Redskins scheduled New York Jets franchise DE John Abraham for a visit Sunday night, March 12. It will be interesting to see if the Redskins have the right draft choices to trade to the Jets for Abraham. The team has only a second, a fifth, two sixths and a seventh in the 2006 NFL Draft.

With all the FA signings Washington has already done, I seriously doubt they will be high bidder for Abraham, and that is what he's shopping for. With the loss of Hutchinson, Seattle now has plenty of cap to work with..... I think they are the dark horse here. Denver just re-signed their DT, and he wasn't cheap. Now Lamal Lewis is visiting them. I'm not sure they have the cap for Abraham either.

The Jets are going to have to do their best to work with Abraham's agents here. They will come back after this week, and try to dictate what team Abraham will go to. I think that will be determined soley on what team gave Abaraham the biggest money offer. Let's just hope that that team isn't Washington, somehow.

the offer would be a minimum of next year's #1 and some change - something like:

abe + 4th for

1st (2007) + 2nd (2006) + Ramsey

This really would be a minimum.

The way trades seem to go, as far as trading picks, is that a pick has the value of 1 lower round for each year in advance: a first-rounder in 2007 has the trade value of a 2nd-rounder in 2006. The logic is that we'd be giving up something now, but not getting something until later. (The only exception is for franchise players where the compensation is two 1st-rounders; not necessarily two first rounders from THIS year. We're not getting two 1st's for Abe from Wash so it doesn't matter).

So this is the equivalent of two 2nd's (2006) + Ramsey; since Ramsey can be had for a 5th (at the most), that's two 2nd's (2006) and a 5th (2006). But since Wash isn't terrible, you're also talking about lower-third picks in each round.

The thing is, since we have two fourths already before the league announces comp picks (where we should get 2 more 4th-rounders for Jordan/KMac), a 5th-round value pick in 2006 doesn't really have that much trade value for us. Add a 6th rounder for Becht & we have 9 day-two picks next month as it now stands. What's the big deal if we "only" have 8 day-two picks?

The trade equivalent of two lower 2nd-round picks is not enough compensation for Abraham while there's a bidding war going on for him, including teams that pick in the top-15 of round one (Cle/Atl) & another team that has two #1's (Den), and a high cap due to the CBA. I don't see a way Washington is a player in the Abraham sweepstakes.

Archived