Browns sign McGinest...

Smizzy

Wow.

The only thing surprising is the $$$. 13 mill over 3 years? A lot of money for an oldie. But, not a surprising signing because he's re-united with Crenell and Cleveland just keeps on improving.

The JetNation road trip to Cleveland is going to be fun...the Browns are going to be in the playoff hunt next year if they give Frye time back there.

Browns | McGinest agrees to three-year deal

Wed, 15 Mar 2006 13:20:41 -0800

Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, reports the Cleveland Browns have agreed to terms with free agent LB Willie McGinest (Patriots) on a three-year, $12 million deal.

There's the official text.

Pat fans will downplay this

but Willie was a very good player and made many key plays over the last 3 years.

This hurts them no dount about it!!!!!!!!!!

There is no way Pats fans can downplay this.

Willie was the epitome of a "big-game playmaker".

I was real surprised at the amount of coin he got from the Browns.:eek:

Pat fans will downplay this

but Willie was a very good player and made many key plays over the last 3 years.

This hurts them no dount about it!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not going to downplay it. As a matter of fact, this is the first non-signing by us that downright pisses me off. I have no doubt that he could have been brought back, probably for less than what Cleveland offered. For whatever reason it appears that Belichick has no need for him anymore. I won't question him on that decision but it doesn't change the fact that it pisses me off. Willie was my favorite player on defense and had another year left in him.

Free-agent linebacker reunited with coach Crennel

Posted: Wednesday March 15, 2006 5:10PM; Updated: Wednesday March 15, 2006 6:06PM

CLEVELAND (AP) -- Free agent linebacker Willie McGinest signed a three-year contract with the Cleveland Browns on Wednesday, reuniting him with coach Romeo Crennel.

McGinest visited Cleveland on Tuesday and reached the deal Wednesday without visiting any other teams, said Steve Caric, spokesman for McGinest's agent, Gary Uberstine.

McGinest, cut by New England after 12 seasons in a salary cap move, will earn $12 million with the Browns, including $6 million in guarantees and bonuses. .

The 34-year-old McGinest spent seven seasons with Crennel in New England, including four with Crennel as defensive coordinator.

Recently signed nose tackle Ted Washington, who played with McGinest on the Patriots' 2003 championship team, had said he would encourage his former teammate to come to Cleveland.

The Browns, with nearly $25 million to spend on free agents, have been one of the most active teams this offseason, signing center LeCharles Bentley, wide receiver Joe Jurevicius, offensive lineman Kevin Shaffer, punter Dave Zastudil and Washington.

But they had yet to address their pass rushing, an area general manager Phil Savage listed as a priority, until signing McGinest.

The two-time Pro Bowler would have carried a salary cap figure of more than $7 million for next season in New England.

He has 78 career sacks, including six last season, and is the NFL's postseason sacks leader with 16.

I won't down play it either. McGinest's value is lost not only on the field, but in the lockeroom where he was King. Losing McGinest is worse than losing Givens, imo. That said, I will still beleive that BB knows what he is doing until proven otherwise.

Looks like the Pats players are not buying into anymore sticking there and sacrificing more money to play elsewhere- money rules

$12 mil for 3 years plus a $6 mil signing bonus for a 34-year old LB?

Willie did very well for himself, and good for him.

The Pats wouldn't come close to what the Browns paid.

I won't down play it either. McGinest's value is lost not only on the field, but in the lockeroom where he was King. Losing McGinest is worse than losing Givens, imo. That said, I will still beleive that BB knows what he is doing until proven otherwise.

Life's like a box of chocolate. You never know what you'll get.

darts.jpg

translation: New England is starting to become too cheap to pay its key players (Willie, Vinatieri, Givens, Patten, Law)

You know I was being sarcastic PatsFanTx -Pats made the right decision to pay a 34 year old linebacker that type of money- but they lost one of their leaders on the field-something hard to replace

The Pats aren't going to sign an aging vet to huge dollars, only the Jets do such things. I suspect they are working on extending Seymour and Branch - who WILL demand humongous money next year, there is a reason they are under the cap by 20 million and not making any moves yet.

The Pats aren't going to sign an aging vet to huge dollars, only the Jets do such things. I suspect they are working on extending Seymour and Branch - who WILL demand humongous money next year, there is a reason they are under the cap by 20 million and not making any moves yet.

We heard the same **** last offseason and look how last season turned out for the Pats.

They're done.

The reason:

To re-sign Troy DONE & TIME TO RETIRE Brown.

Exactly - I say give Two-way Troy a three year deal at 2 mil a year with an 8 million dollar signing bonus.....:rolleyes:

How long was he 2-way Troy? It's time to get over that already. He's done. He was a good, not great, player before and now his time is over. It's time to say bye-bye.

....yup, Troy blows. That is precicely why the Pats will sign him to huge money. They, quite frankly, have seen the light and have decided to follow the Jets formula of success.

The Pats will make zero moves this off-season and go into the season with two wide-outs and a cooked RB. Since Jets fans want the Pats to be done, BB (a HUGE Jets fan) will comply with your collective wish.

....yup, Troy blows. That is precicely why the Pats will sign him to huge money. They, quite frankly, have seen the light and have decided to follow the Jets formula of success.

The Pats will make zero moves this off-season and go into the season with two wide-outs and a cooked RB. Since Jets fans want the Pats to be done, BB (a HUGE Jets fan) will comply with your collective wish.

Hey...they never brought in a OC or DC...BB thought he could do it all. Maybe he can play RB & WR for the pats too!!

I pay attention to every team in The NFL and I respect The Pats but the only team, I focus in on is The Jets. I really don't care what The Pats do. Jets fans are always too wrapped up in them.

As for The Browns. Romeo has finally gotten his players. He got a late start last year because of winning the superbowl and there was a bit of a power struggle in The Browns front office. Now Phil Savage has full power.

Because of the late start last year, Romeo had Jason Fisk as his starting NT and Kenard Lang as his OLB/Edge rusher. Two failed experiments. Romeo finally has his veteran anchors that he can build around in McGinest and Ted Washington. Those guys are going to hold down the forte while Romeo and Savage look to find defenders through the draft.

Archived