As we move into the next phase of the offseason, I have 2 question marks that still gnaw at me.

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

To your first question which is basically, have the Jets done enough on D given the LB situation and no real replacement for Fatukasi?

The answer is no... but that's okay.  It's clear in Zach's second year that JD is sill focused on building the offense around him.  For the first time in team history the Jets drafted all three skill positions - WR, RB, TE, in the first 3 rounds of an NFL Draft.  That tells you where JD's priorities continue to be (as they should IMO)

Run defense will likely continue to be weak but I feel that 2023 will be the year to truly address D a bit better.  After adding ZW, Becton, AVT, Elijah Moore, Garrett Wilson, Ruckert, Breece Hall, Michael Carter and even Denzel Mims ALL via the Draft since JD got here, the Jets will finally pour themselves into D in 2023.  Sauce and Johnson were big adds, but as you said there continue to be some holes that particularly hurt run D.  I think LB and DT are the big focus in 2023 via FA and/or the Draft.  We should see better D in 2022, but it still won't be fantastic.

I agree 100% with everything you said.  I also have no problem with the way JD drafted, and focusing on vastly improving the offense, to give Zach Wilson the opportunity to succeed. 

As far as drafting Ruckert, I am very torn.  Ultimately, I am thrilled that JD drafted him, and love the fact that he and hif family are die-hard Jets fans.  I have been a die-hard Jets fan for over 53 years now, and am psyched that we have "one of our own" on the team.  But we could have drafted a defensive tackle or linebacker with that pick, but like I said, I am torn by the pick.  

If you read any of my other threads or posts, I wanted the Jets to draft Ecky with the #4 pick.  Well, I'm glad JD didn't do that, because I was wrong, and JD made the correct choice in drafting Sauce.  He will ultimately be a much bigger win for the Jets than Ecky would have been.  Sauce is a difference maker, and will help transform the defense, which desperately needs to be transformed.  And if Becton plays anywhere near as good as he looks right now, he will dominate in my humble opinion.

• Upvote 1

On 5/5/2022 at 8:29 AM, Alka said:

Yes, the Jets had a great draft.  Let's get that out of the way.  Still, the Jets had the worst defense against the run last season, and I don't see how the Jets significantly addressed that thus far in the offseason.  In fact, we lost our best run defender in Fatukasi, and did nothing to replace him.  Yes, Sauce and the 2 back end backs that we got in free agency will help a little, but we didn't pick up a d tackle, and we picked up a total of zero linebackers to combat the front lines of the running attack.  This alone will assure that the Jets will still be a team in need.

My second question mark is of course Zach Wilson.  Will he take a step forward?  For me, if he is just average, the Jets will take a leap forward this year.  I think 8 or 9 wins is possible if he plays well, and 6 or 7 wins if he plays no better than he did last year.

Let't face it, the Jets are still not a playoff team, but if Zack takes a step up, the Jets will be playing significant football games going into December. 

image.png.07aaf28ca53f5342cc56ee9e855cc620.png

The staff/front office now have 5-6 weeks to analyze the run defense.  If it
appears shaky I'm sure Douglas will pick up a DT before camp starts.  The
easiest player to find is a "run stuffing" DT.  I'm just glad that we don't
have to find a pass rusher anymore, for the first time ever it seems like we
have plenty 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, KRL said:

have plenty 

I couldn't agree with you more.  Hey, if push comes to shove, I'm sure JD would give away next years 6th round draft pick for a competent run stuffing defensive tackle if he needs to.  After all, Joe loves trading away his 6th round draft picks. lol

On 5/5/2022 at 8:29 AM, Alka said:

Yes, the Jets had a great draft.  Let's get that out of the way.  Still, the Jets had the worst defense against the run last season, and I don't see how the Jets significantly addressed that thus far in the offseason.  In fact, we lost our best run defender in Fatukasi, and did nothing to replace him.  Yes, Sauce and the 2 back end backs that we got in free agency will help a little, but we didn't pick up a d tackle, and we picked up a total of zero linebackers to combat the front lines of the running attack.  This alone will assure that the Jets will still be a team in need.

My second question mark is of course Zach Wilson.  Will he take a step forward?  For me, if he is just average, the Jets will take a leap forward this year.  I think 8 or 9 wins is possible if he plays well, and 6 or 7 wins if he plays no better than he did last year.

Let't face it, the Jets are still not a playoff team, but if Zack takes a step up, the Jets will be playing significant football games going into December. 

The defense I saw last season was by far the softest jets D I have seen my entire life.  Saleh is running a 4-3 with slow 3-4 Linebackers who are suited to fill gaps on LOS not play in space

20 hours ago, KRL said:

have plenty 

DT isn’t the issue though QW is painfully miscast in a 4-3.  The real issue is LB

On 5/5/2022 at 10:08 AM, JiFapono said:

I dont think I'd say they "did nothing" to address stopping the run.  Both JJ and Clemons play the run well and they signed Whitehead who plays the run very well from the safety position, something they were severely lacking.  Also, I think the emergence of Pinnock and Quincy Williams will help, both having a full year in the system.

But also, like @Bungaman said, players are going to shake loose if they're concerned with it but also, there are a few FA's available right now, that could be a 1 year stop gap ie; Star Lotulelei, Eddie Goldman, Brandon Williams, Danny Shelton.  

And I dont know what's going on with Larry Ogunjobi but dude had 7 sacks last year for the Bengals and is a FA. 

Didn't Ogunjobi get hurt pretty bad at the end of the season? Maybe not progressing well in rehab?

I mean, yea. We'll be absoutely smoked in run defenes especially since Quincy Williams can't read screen plays. We will suck defensively. What we're looking for is Zach to make that jump at QB. Honestly? I'd rather lose 45-40 than win 10-7. That'd show progress for the Jets

1 minute ago, talisaynon said:

I mean, yea. We'll be absoutely smoked in run defenes especially since Quincy Williams can't read screen plays. We will suck defensively. What we're looking for is Zach to make that jump at QB. Honestly? I'd rather lose 45-40 than win 10-7. That'd show progress for the Jets

I get the point you're making here, but I'd take winning every time, regardless of how or score.