if the jets go to a 3-4

jets rooter

with all this abraham trade talk. I look at what the jets are offered for an all pro like abraham.the jets will go to a 3-4 defense and abraham would fit in nicely.their linebackers would be as folllows

abraham-outside linebacker

barton-outsidelinebacker

vilma-inside linebacker

hobson-insidelinebacker

to me that looks like a very impressive line up.they all are fast and they can tackle with the best of them. so let's hear about my point of view.

with all this abraham trade talk. I look at what the jets are offered for an all pro like abraham.the jets will go to a 3-4 defense and abraham would fit in nicely.their linebackers would be as folllows

barton-outsidelinebacker

vilma-inside linebacker

hobson-insidelinebacker

to me that looks like a very impressive line up.they all are fast and they can tackle with the best of them. so let's hear about my point of view.

It looks good on paper, but again, Abe has had 2 chances to make it as an LB in a 3-4 scheme, and he has never done well.

He is strictly a 4-3 weakside DE.

the jets will go to a 3-4 defense and abraham would fit in nicely.

Dude,

Johnny Jack Daniels can't defense the run in a 4-3.

What makes you think he can drop back in pass coverage and cover a TE or a WR in a 5-WR set?:eek:

Abe is strictly a one-dimensional player in a 4-3 set.

If Abe is 1 dimensional Bruschi is healthy.Patsfantx you are so pathetic its a sin.

He's right.

Abe is completely one dimensional. He's a top 5 pass rusher but a completely average run defender who can easily be overpowered.

W/ that said, his value is still very high b/c the "dimension" that he possesses, happens to be thought very highly of by front offices across the board and typically commands a first round pick to acquire.

He's right.

Abe is completely one dimensional. He's a top 5 pass rusher but a completely average run defender who can easily be overpowered.

W/ that said, his value is still very high b/c the "dimension" that he possesses, happens to be thought very highly of by front offices across the board and typically commands a first round pick to acquire.

Dude,

You need to post more often.

Your objectivity is a breath of fresh air.

ABE used to be one dimensional. Over the past two years, his ability to play the run and contribute there has significantly improved. His penchance causing FF also is not merely on quarterbacks alone.

The big game in Foxboro couple years back he had a HUGE tackle for loss and FF that gave us the ball in a tie {or 3 point} game in NE territory {or close}.

The guy is a flat out beast. The only way to beat him is to run straight at him, because the DC usually has him pushing straight up the field in a pass rush, as opposed to holding his lane vs the run...

One thing is almost certain. If you guys switch to a 3-4, Vilma is going to struggle big time, especially if he's in the middle. He's not going to have 2 DTs keeping the guards off of him. He's going to find himself on his back alot.

This may sound crazy but I've always wanted to see how a 2-5 D would work.

................DT Robertson DT Pouha.............

OLB Myers ILB Barton CLB Vilma ILB Hobson OLB Abe

This innovative defence would keep them guessing...also virtually undefendable double linebaker blitz. I dream these things up in my sleep.

ABE used to be one dimensional. Over the past two years, his ability to play the run and contribute there has significantly improved. His penchance causing FF also is not merely on quarterbacks alone.

The big game in Foxboro couple years back he had a HUGE tackle for loss and FF that gave us the ball in a tie {or 3 point} game in NE territory {or close}.

The guy is a flat out beast. The only way to beat him is to run straight at him, because the DC usually has him pushing straight up the field in a pass rush, as opposed to holding his lane vs the run...

I have to agree with you,Abe has improved against the run to the point where he is no longer one dimensional.He is pretty good at breaking free off his block and moving down the line or into the flat to make the tackle.You can run right at him and he'll have problems but thats going to happen to most weak side pass rushers.I'd say Abe is a better run stopper than the likes of Freeney and Rice.

This innovative defence would keep them guessing...also virtually undefendable double linebaker blitz. I dream these things up in my sleep.

Why not go with a 0-7 package while you're at it? It'll be even harder to defend a QUADRUPLE linebacker blitz, no? How about 11 linebackers & blitz 6 or 7 of them?

Keep dreaming, but dreams that have Pouha starting on our DL are called nightmares.

barton-outsidelinebacker

vilma-inside linebacker

hobson-insidelinebacker

The only reason Abe couldn't "make it" as an OLB before was because Herman Edwards was his coach and herminator was in love with the 4-3 scheme even though the Jets' players weren't suited for it.

No one on this site kills Abe more than me but I think he can do a lot better as an OLB. First off, it's his natural position. He has the right size for it and he's certainly quick enough to do it.

Second, as an OLB Abe would endure a lot less physical abuse because he wouldn't be lining up directly in front of OT's that usually outweigh him by 70-80 lbs. He could still rush the qb but he wouldn't endure as much damage as he did before. If Abe keeps trying to play as a DE I do't see him lasting in the nfl past the age of 31.

Third, with an undersized MLB like Vilma you would have to kind of compensate for it with a much larger OLB right beside him.

The only problem is that the Jets have no NT's on their roster. Robertson is hurt most of the time and too small for the position. Maybe you could trade down to get Haloti Ngata or take Mario Williams at #4 and hope that he could help fill some gaps on the line that Robertson can't.

Great coaches adapt systems to fit great players. If Mangini is incapable of anything but acquiring players to fit 'his' system he doesn't deserve to be a HC. BTW isn't that one of the criticisms levelled at Herm Edwards for five years of the Tampa Bay Cover 2 defense?

Great coaches adapt systems to fit great players. If Mangini is incapable of anything but acquiring players to fit 'his' system he doesn't deserve to be a HC. BTW isn't that one of the criticisms levelled at Herm Edwards for five years of the Tampa Bay Cover 2 defense?

We'll see what Mangini is made of soon enough.

Tampa-2 is idiotic as a base package unless you've got 4-5 defensive pro-bowlers & 2-3 more marginal pro-bowlers. Edwards stupidly & arrogantly thought it was the system that made the players effective & not the other way around, as his mentor is also doing in Indy. You can run on it at will. The only reason it hasn't been exposed even more in Indy is b/c their offense puts away many of their opponents so early that they abandon the run. That "#2 defense" last year was ranked 28th in the league in yards-per-attempt against the run.

Dick Le'beau, is that you? The Steelers already use that variation plenty. Hell, they've even used a 2 linemen, 9 DB package against Cinci and the Colts a few times. Don't ask me where they got 9 DB's from.

The only reason Abe couldn't "make it" as an OLB before was because Herman Edwards was his coach and herminator was in love with the 4-3 scheme even though the Jets' players weren't suited for it.

No one on this site kills Abe more than me but I think he can do a lot better as an OLB. First off, it's his natural position. He has the right size for it and he's certainly quick enough to do it.

Second, as an OLB Abe would endure a lot less physical abuse because he wouldn't be lining up directly in front of OT's that usually outweigh him by 70-80 lbs. He could still rush the qb but he wouldn't endure as much damage as he did before. If Abe keeps trying to play as a DE I do't see him lasting in the nfl past the age of 31.

Third, with an undersized MLB like Vilma you would have to kind of compensate for it with a much larger OLB right beside him.

The only problem is that the Jets have no NT's on their roster. Robertson is hurt most of the time and too small for the position. Maybe you could trade down to get Haloti Ngata or take Mario Williams at #4 and hope that he could help fill some gaps on the line that Robertson can't.

You've got a good bead on this whole Abe situation. ;)

Herm let his players do what ever they wanted, and more often than not, it was to their own detriment. Abe never developed as a football player. He is a one dimensional, glorified 3rd down pass rusher.

Trying to make Abe a linebacker at this point would be like trying to make a pickle back into a cucumber. That said, Abe won't play linebacker either way, since it doesn't command the same salary as a DE.

Dick Le'beau, is that you? The Steelers already use that variation plenty. Hell, they've even used a 2 linemen, 9 DB package against Cinci and the Colts a few times. Don't ask me where they got 9 DB's from.

I had heard that Mangini petitioned Belly to use a 1-10, with one down lineman and 10 DB's...

I'd imagine they played all the CB's on the roster, with every saftey. That's what? Five and four, right?

I had heard that Mangini petitioned Belly to use a 1-10, with one down lineman and 10 DB's...

I'd imagine they played all the CB's on the roster, with every saftey. That's what? Five and four, right?

Hell if i know. I didn't even know we had Tyrone Carter til' that Cinci game. Next thing ya know, he played every single playoff game for us.

I read this morning that they're interested in drafting Chad Greenway or DeMarco Ryans at 15 if Atlanta caves in. Interesting.

Greenway is a great linebacker. If he was available at #15, which I doubt, I would definitely draft him.

A bit smarter than being a Pats fan

stormy,

Let me educate you.

The Pats win 3 out of the last 5 Super Bowls in the era of FA.

The Steelers had the same loaded team back in the 70's (almost as long as a Jets team PLAYED in a friggn' Super Bowl).

And the only reason why the Steelers won this year is because the refs handed them the game.

Right Stiller?;)

stormy,

Let me educate you.

The Steelers had the same loaded team back in the 70's (almost as long as a Jets team PLAYED in a friggn' Super Bowl).

And the only reason why the Steelers won this year is because the refs handed them the game.

Right Stiller?;)

Right on, TX. We paid off the refs after the blown call against Troy P. in the Colts game. Couldn't afford to take any more chances after that close call. ;)

stormy,

Let me educate you.

Right Stiller?;)

Wow... I mean wow.

I guess you could compare eras, but you'd come up with some week ass arguement. But, isn't playing in the Super Bowl, reguardless of eras, a great accomplishment? Leave it to you to try and knock em down ;)

Wow... I mean wow.

I guess you could compare eras, but you'd come up with some week ass arguement. But, isn't playing in the Super Bowl, reguardless of eras, a great accomplishment? Leave it to you to try and knock em down ;)

I think TX was just trying to prove that no one gets a free pass from his smartassery. lol

Wow... I mean wow.

stormy,

Come on buddy, that post was filled with sarcasm.

I have the utmost respect for the Steelers organization and everything they have accomplished over the years.

Archived