The Bye-Bye JAbe editon of POTW - March 22, 2006

GreenBeans

Welcome to POTW, the post that all of the Legume haters love to bash. This episode of POTW will be spread over 4 posts - there is a lot of good stuff in here. First, though, I must digress. Here's a sample of the impact that POTW has on some of our esteemed posters:

Originally Posted by stormshadow19

What? I don't get a freakin POTW nomination? It's freakin biased! Biased I say!

Originally Posted by PatsFanTX

Wow, I think this is the 1st time I have ever agreed with stormy.

-----------------

Originally Posted by Barton

Good point.

The JN POTW honor is a sham. Vanilla Ice has more credibility than GreenBeans.

--------------------

Originally Posted by Garb

Okay, it has to be said. These POTW nominations suck.

I totally agree Garb.

Really, how seriously can people take POTW when I never won?

You? How about ME???!!!!!!!!!

----------------------

It seems to me that the institution that is POTW is doing its job well. The POTW staff sends a heart-felt "Thank you!" for caring about us. ;)

Now to the honors for the week. There were seveal great posts this week, so we had a tough time picking a winner. The dedicated, crack crew here at POTW has made a decision, though. Congratulations go out to Sperm Edwards for the following post:

Originally Posted by Sperm Edwards

The new regime cut $40M off the salary cap in about a month.

We have two first-round draft picks. And if we take Minnesota's offer, we'll still have two first rounders to go with three 2nd-rounders.

I don't have to endure another season of giving Curtis Martin 12-15 carries to get "warmed up" - if he's running good he'll get more; if he's stinking it up he'll get pulled for Blaylock/Houston.

The 29 DB's we drafted may yield a secondary that can stop someone on 3rd down.

Rookies will be given a chance even if the incumbent veteran is healthy.

The starting QB will be annointed after beating out the other in training camp rather than starting b/c he has the higher contract.

Players will learn more than one position so a couple of injuries won't end the season immediately. Looking forward to, now & then, seeing Trevor Johnson line up at TE & Kimo von Oelhoffen at FB.

Our players will be in shape.

Our players will have an interest in the team as well as their contracts - didn't Mangini have the players watch game film of the draft prospects this year?

Our opponents will not know our gameplans on the Tuesday before kickoff.

We actually wait for the best offer for a commodity (Abraham) instead of giving it away for nothing to a buddy (Herm).

We will fill the roster with future need positions before we actually need them. Then play these young guys before the veteran is ready for the glue factory.

No more insane contracts/trades for players who haven't proven worthy yet (Chad, DRob), or who have shown that their ceiling/attitude doesn't warrant all that cap space (Abe) so we can use it on other players.

I haven't been this excited about a Jets off-season in a long time. AND that's with expecting them to suck badly. Sucking would somehow be watchable if you know you're on the rise & building something; if losing is because you simply don't have the (mature) talent to compete yet & not because your coach can't count, plan ahead, do something other than smile/clap after a brutal call by officials, or assist in the gameplan at all during a game.

Great post, there is nothing else to say - nice work Sperm (and I'll never get used to typing that - ever.)

This weeks "Second Best Award sponsored by PatsFanTX" goes to none other than, PatsFanTX for his best post to date on ANY opposing fansite. The "Seond Best" post was:

This is, by far, the smartest thing TX has ever posted. :cheers:

Here were the other great posts considered this week:

I nominate this thread as one of the very worst EVER.

Math.....are you kidding me? I think I'd rather read posts about sheep

Originally Posted by greengal

i dont know about anybody else... but that statement answers a lot of questions i have had about garb!

---------------------------

In reference to "Jets Nation"

Originally Posted by Smizzy

lol...Somewhere on LI there is fat guy having a stroke.

Originally Posted by Scott Dierking

For the record, I consider Southernjet a fine, upstanding individual.

Thank you.

None of this is tinged with sarcasm, whatsoever.

----------------------------

(An "almost" POTW NOM)

Originally Posted by Instant Karma

Check out this gem over there...wow.

http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/ind...owtopic=148167

Tx should troll over there for awhile - very fertile soil.

Almost got into an accident...

...during my drive into work this a.m. after hearing on WEEI Boston Sports Radio: Troy Brown scheduled to visit the New York Jets today.

Originally Posted by jetheelz

Bingo, anyone?

------------------------------

Originally Posted by SouthernJet

So how many of you want to navigate our way so we can snare Bush?

Originally Posted by Boozer76

I try every day.

Is Bush over-rated?

Depends on who's it is.

Do you think Bush will make it through the tough pounding of a full season?

Not when I get through with it.

Will Bush be worth all that will be required to aquire Bush and keep Bush happy?

It usually never is, though it never stopped me in the past.

And finally, we know we want Bush, but will Bush want to come?

With me, again and again.

----------

Originally Posted by YoungJetsFan

LOL

Here's my sample question to Rich Cimini.

"Hello Rich, Thanks for joining us this evening. This weather sure has been crazy. This change of weather effects me. Has it effected you?... Because I've got a cold...Anyway, Do you think that The Jets are done cutting players?..... It would seem to me that there are still several on the bubble players on the roster who may not fit the new offensive and defensive systems... like for example, It looks like Victor Hobson and Eric Barton are going to need to compete for playing time in The 3-4, What do you see their roles as being?, and what roles do you see for Bryan Thomas and DeWayne Robertson in The Jets new versatile defensive schemes? The latter two seem like square pegs in this scenario and for this team in 2006. Thanks once again for joining us Mr. Cimini and thanks for answering my questions. Also do you get a sense of what the new staff wants to do at WR and TE...Looks like Baker may be gone and Jolley is a one sided player,, Why didn't The Jets send Corey Lamkin to NFLE and will The Jets draft a WR or TE high in april?

LOL

----------

Way to go dickhead, good luck trying to ever gain an interview in NE again. Total mularkey.

Originally Posted by Fo_Block

i don't believe any rumors until verified by jetstv

--------------

Originally Posted by afosomf

I have a better shot at getting in Garb's pants than Mumbles signing TO!

you want a map?

---------------

Originally Posted by The Troll

I like Putzier.

He is what Doug Jolley would have been like if Doug Jolley had talent.

-----------------

Originally Posted by joewilly

happy st paddy's day all! my wife told me she wanted to sport some green today & proceeded to empty my wallet!!!

-------------------

Originally Posted by smizzy

Ive never been one to turn the other cheek and @ 28....It's pretty hard to start now.

Originally Posted by Thor99

That's only because it takes too much energy to move those giant cheeks, fatass.

Yea, you'd rather use a 2nd rounder on a friggn' kicker.

POTW RUNNER UP NOM

I went over to check out the Phins site and got this message when I logged on:

PatsFanTX:

You have been banned for the following reason: None

Date the ban will be lifted: Never

WTF, why would anyone ever want to ban me?

Originally Posted by blackout806

damn i was hoping they'd announce you got banned here

-------------------------

See, that's the thing that get me Stiller, I never mock opposing teams at all.

Originally Posted by The Fat Man

Jay Cutler see ya and wouldn't wanna be ya. It looks like you will be playing for Oakland.

Hello D Brick!

Originally Posted by YJF

Finally The Fat Man is not acting like a D' Ick.

Just kidding. I still think that The Jets are going to draft a QB in the first 3 rounds to groom behind Chad and Patrick.

--------------------------

Originally Posted by Warfish

I am VERY Happy with this move.

A 6th is, frankly, a very low draft pick. For example, what are our past 6th round picks doing today?

2005: Joel Dressen is buried at #3 and sinking on the Depth Chart, with the Jets actively looking to get a TE as we speak, behind Jolly and Baker last season. He might still turn out okay, but it's far from a sure thing.

2004: Marko Cavka, gone off to NFL Europe I believe, and not even a starter there.....

2003: Our very own Brooks Bollinger. If you think Bollinger is better than Ramsey, you should stop posting right this very second. I was a big Bollinger backer last season, and even I know Ramsey's potential and upside dwarfs that of Bollywood, no question.

2002: No 6th Round Pick

2001: No 6th Round Pick

2000: Tony Scott CB North Carolina State. Who? Right.

1999: Marc Megna LB Richmond & J.P. Machado C Illinois Big Stars today, right? Ah, no.

1998: Eric Ogbogu DE Maryland, Chris Brazzell WR Angelo State & Dustin Johnson RB Brigham Young. Ogbogu played okay if I recall, although mostly not for us. The others? Lol.

1997: Tim Scharf LB Northwestern & Chuck Clements QB Houston. I think we ALL remember the glorious Clements Era of Jets football. Right?

1996: Hugh Hunter DE Hampton. Zzzzz....

1995: Eddie Mason OLB North Carolina. Zzzzzz.....

1994: Fred Lester RB Alabama A&M. Zzzzz.......

1993: Richie Anderson FB Penn State! YaY! finally, over 13 years ago, we snagged a winner in the 6th. Great selection, and very solid NY Jet.

Going back farther there's a few others that turned out pretty decent, like Jeff Blake (1992) & Terance Mathis (1990), but way more no-name never-was players than even role-players in the group of Jets 6th rounders. and frankly, Blake was never a good Jet, or even a very good QB, and Mathis is best remembered (in my mind) as a Falcon.

(Source NFL.com)

Commentary: Look, this is THE single best move the Jets can make, for MANY reasons, not the least of which is utter flexabillity.

We now have two Veteran QB's on the roster, both face falling out of the league to Tim Couch-dom), both with something to prove, chips on their shoulders, and plenty of physical abillity and talent.

But what is that? Now we cannot draft a QB you say, so you hate the deal? Bolderdash I say. If the Jets truly want a Matt Leainrt, they CAN get him, if they want. Pennington and Ramsey are both short-timers who must prove themselves or they WILL be cut next offseason, period. If they fail, they are gone, cap-friedly cuts, and whomever gets drafted this draft can step right in at #1 if the warrant that.

But now we don't NEED to draft a QB. We are no longer DESPERATE, as we were pre-Ramsey, to get a QB in round #1 this draft, or maybe even worse, make a poor value trade with Atlanta to get Schaub.

But if we want, we still CAN trade Abe to Atlanta for Schaub. Or not.

Move up to #2 for Leinart. Or Not.

Stay at #4 and get Young or Cutler. Or not.

Or draft the Brick at #4 and draft a QB like Croyle in round 2 or 3. Or Not.

Flexabillity my friends. It means never having to overpay and say your sorry about it later.

Look, I hope Chad succeeds But if he doesn't, we have Ramsey's big Gun to try out. I hope Ramsey succeeds, but if he doesn't, I'm betting we have a draft pick to try out. Depth, flexabillity, chips-on-shoulders and potential. We have it all now (or soon will post draft).

This my friends was a VALUE trade. Ramsey is FAR above a 6th round potential, evan at his worst he's a 4th round potential and 3rd round physical talent and arm.

I know many Jets fans hate Ramsey, but please, read this, see the flexabillity this deal brings us, and understand. There will be no 2005 Jets now at QB. Be it Chad, Ramsey or a draft pick, ONE will step up and lead our Jets in 2006.

Today is a good day.

----------------------

I wasn't saying thats how you feel. It's just the general feeling over there.

They think they are "better" Jets fans. The whole thing is a joke in my book and We don't really care what they do over there.

You are one of my all time favorite posters. Im not gonna complain about where and when you post. Sure I wish you would post here more but what can you do.

All I know is our NYJ/Football forum is better. Ive seen that crap thats posted there and I would have quit by now If I wasn't already banned.

Originally Posted by Remarkable

I like how the mods delete posts that completely show them up.

Hate to burst your bubble but no posts were deleted form this thread and we don't ban people here for speaking their minds.

You must have us confused with someone else. We have tons of fans from other teams who are regular posters here. We can handle anything you throw at us.

So if you want to " show us up" your gonna actually have to post something to do it. Telling fairy tales about some mysterious post is not gonna get it done.

Pull your head out of Mike Vicks ass before you post.

Abraham has a singular talent: putting pressure on the passer. In all other aspects, on and off the field, he's lousy:

off the field:

* is one incident away from a 4-game suspension

* puts himself above the team: when it suits his personal needs he just sits the games out (even in the playoffs)

* sat out all training camp after getting franchised in what was not expected to be a down-year

* he stupidly & arrogantly announces his "new move" that is identical to someone else's instead of using any type of surprise element & just doing it.

on the field:

* in the 4-3, he outstanding at getting to the QB & even strips the ball away now & then. That is where the accolades stop.

* He is a total liability against the run. There are undrafted rookies that stop the run more effectively.

* Since teams run the ball more as much as they pass against us, he's a liability on 50% of the snaps. And it's not like he provides pressure on every single passing down either.

* in the 3-4, he cannot cover a TE; he cannot cover a HB; he cannot cover a FB; he cannot wrap-up a RB unless they drag him for 4-5 yards first. While physically, he looks like the prototypical 3-4 OLB, in reality he stinks at it. His best use is as a grossly undersized 4-3 DE.

Abe is a pro-bowler because he is above average in accruing a stat deemed by voters as a "sexy" one: sacks.

But is he "elite" at that?

Elite is like 15 sacks, or even more. Once, back in 2001, he had 13 sacks. Before or since then he's never reached 11.

He has 53.5 sacks in 6 years, which is VERY good. But that's an average of 8.9 sacks/year. You can't use the excuse that he would've gotten more if he was in more games, because that brings me to my final point....

The man is totally unreliable. Jet fans generally wonder when, not if, he's going to get injured & miss at least 25% of the season (including playoffs if reached). He's been in the league 6 seasons & played 16 regular-season games 3 times. And two of those were in his first 3 seasons. Even with a complete season last year, he's still missed 13 games (not including 2 playoff games) in the last 3 seasons.

ABE is like an egg out there.

Dump him. Dump his surly attitude. Dump his I'm an unappreciated millionaire garbage. Dump his one-dimensional play. And dump the lack of flexibility with defensive schemes, that retaining him would lead to.

Right, the sophmore got a BJ and got laid and you got $20 bucks for driving him.

Sounds like a move the Jets would make.

Originally Posted by JETSFAN5180

Sounds to me like you met the sophmore and have a sore butt and bad breath.

Originally Posted by jetheelz

You'll come around eventually 5180. I did.

Tx isn't so bad.

Originally Posted by Alk

TX, you are how old and you don't even know what a vagina is yet?

-------------------------------

Originally Posted by Jet Moses

allabo2.jpg

Hawk's another Boz.

-------------------------------

Originally Posted by kelly

i think it might have somethin' to do with " . . . entering the open showers. . . "

Originally Posted by Alk

I'm going to nominate this as POTW for the sole reason that I had always thought Kelly was nothing more than a bot that posted football topics on random NFL boards.

Come on man, you know I was just busting your chops.

After going back and forth with you for over a year, I know where you work.

BTW, I have the utmost respect for anyone that is still in HS and working a job.

I owe you an apology for my poor taste post.

-------------------------------------

Originally Posted by BZ

Do you think Max will care? Who's nipple do you think it is?

BZ

Originally Posted by Green DNA

I heard that Max's nipples were a lot bigger, like manhole covers

------------------------------------

Sure. He "spent several hours with him last week" to go over nuclear physics theories.

Ham could not have put it any more aptly:

Atlanta expects to go into the 2006 season with their #15 pick, Matt Schaub, and John Abraham.

Seattle has offered the #31 pick in round one, and Atlanta expects us to trade with them instead for the #47 pick and another lower pick, citing "point values" as though all drafts, every year, are equal.

A truly accurate point system is impossible, since it would require tailoring the point values (at least for the first 2 rounds, or even the first 3 rounds) based on the talent coming out in a particular year. All drafts are not equal, but the value chart treats them all the same. The #31 pick this year is more valuable than it was last year, frankly is more valuable than a pick in the late teens/early 20's was last year, and probably will be more valuable than (at least) the #25 pick next year. And it's certainly more valuable than a mid #2 and a mid #3.

Not to mention, according to the new CBA, a first-rounder can be signed to a 5-year contract but a 2nd-rounder can only be signed to a 4-year deal. I'm not sure about 3rd-rounders, but they're usually only signed to 3-year deals.

So we're looking at...

From Seattle:

a first-round talent for 5 years

or

From Atlanta:

a 2nd-round talent for 4 years, plus

a 3rd-round talent for 3 years (or a third-tier RB for 2 years)

Between the two offers on the table, there's nothing for us to think about.

Originally Posted by James Hasty

Why the hell would we trade Abe for a low first rounder (or less) and use the # 4 pick in the whole draft to replace him?

We may as well just keep Abe and wait at the podium until 20+ teams pick to use our first rounder.

Originally Posted by MiamiJet

The options are pretty simple. The Falcons need a pass rusher like Abe. The problem is that there isn't anyone in the draft as good as Abe is right now. Abe is a proven vet, in his prime and has 3 Pro Bowls under his belt.

Given your draft position, the Falcons will have to reach for a tweener, or the next best DE option. There is no guarantee that the pick will pan out. What is guaranteed, is that Abe can get to the QB and, if healthy, will chock up 10+ sacks, a few FFs and be a terror on that fast inside track of yours. He makes you better. Abraham makes you better, far better than your #1 pick will make you, yet you're unwilling to part with it. This is unreasonable.

Why isn't Abraham worthy of a #1 pick? No one has been able to debate this with me. Aside from Freeney, Peppers and Kearse, no other DE has as many sacks as Abraham since '99. Abe has more than Kearse in the last 5 years. Historically, Top Ten, Top Five DE's HAVE been traded for #1 picks.

How quickly you forget Kevin Carter being traded to Tennessee for a #1. Carter had very similar stats to Abe and was 28 when the deal was made.

So what if Abraham is unhappy? You can try to take advantage of the Jets and acquire him for less than his market value, but you must also understand that the jets may disagree and walk away from the table. Who does this hurt more, Atlanta or NY? NY could simply bring his ass back this season, and force him to replay this charade again.

You are not looking at the big picture. This is more than Abraham vs The Jets, or the Jets vs. Atlanta. This is about a first time head coach in his 30's and a first year GM, staking their claim. If they get abused by Atlanta, it would be a signal to every Poston, Condon, GM, player and coach in the league that they can be taken for granted, and any respect they have would be thrown out the window.

This is about respect. The Jets cannot afford to bow down and trade Abe to the team he wants, for what little comp they want, simply to make a deal. Either the Jets get the deal they want, or something reasonably close, or the deal is off.

----------------------------------

Son? I am old enough to be your father and I'm only 21.

Originally Posted by JETSFAN5180

sure bash a pro bowler most Jets fans wouldnt know a winner if it him them square in the face.How can you guys like losing year after year? Just maybe 1 Super Bowl Sunday we will have a chance to watch our team? Trading Abe just took us further away.

who will replace Abe?

Yeah, because we would be nowhere without all of Abe's terrific postseason efforts.

-------------------------------------

Originally Posted by YJF

I just got in from work, turned on ESPN News and found out about this trade. Got online to read the feedback and here I am.I suggested this scenario in a thread last night on this website and it actually happened. Let's deal with the facts first.

THE FACTS

-Only one NFL team offered a first round pick for John Abraham and that was Seattle with pick #31. The Jets were ready to make that deal late last week. They signed off on it. Jets got an upgrade here and got market value for Abraham. Atlanta's offer went from #47 to #29.

-The landscape of The NFL has changed since The Keyshawn trade in 2000. Ironically enough, engineered by Rich McKay when he was with Tampa. High profile players rarely get traded for first round picks. Especially when it means giving a player the most money at his position in the league. Daunte Culpepper just got dealt for a 2nd round pick.

-Why 29 and not 15?.... It's pretty simple. The Jets were unwilling to part with extra picks in The Abraham deal. The deal was a first rounder for John Abraham. The Jets are not going to trade John Abraham, a 3rd rounder and a 4th rounder for a first round pick. I don't care where the pick is. You are not trading Abraham for a first rounder, if you give up a 3 and 4. By doing that, You are really trading Abraham for a 2nd rounder.

-Denver made out well here. They moved up in the draft 14 spots by giving up 2 picks. Atlanta didn't want to lose their whole draft. By trading away a #1 straight up for only Abraham. The Falcons would have been left with almost no draft picks. Denver helped Atlanta land John Abraham. They helped The Jets get a first rounder from Atlanta.

Could The Jets have gotten more?

NO....not unless a new team came into the fold and convinced Abraham to sign with them. There weren't any other first rounders out there for Abraham.

So for those against this deal.... You couldn't have been for The Seattle deal and then against this one.... If you were against The 31 and now against the 29.... What deal would you have gotten that was better without The Jets having to give up more?

John Abraham was traded for a first round pick. End of story.

I wish him the best. He did a good job for us as a player. It was time to move on.

Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove

Use all three picks to trade up and draft Dwayne Robertson - DT / Kentucky.

"Who's gayer?"

Originally Posted by Thor99

The Mythbusters like to blow things up.

Max and Guns, well, they just like to blow things.

Originally Posted by Warfish

Perhaps it's the part where you ASSUME that Leinart, or Cutler, or Young are no-question, locks as "Franchise QB's".

They are all vastly risky, and all are otential Ryan Leaf's in waiting. Just. Say. No.

Winning starts in the trenches, not at QB. I'll take a D'Brick/Mangold/Best Available as MY First three picks, and YOU can turn your three picks into one QB, and put limp-arm Leinart in the New Jersey winds in front of Kendall and his can't-block cohorts and we'd see whose team plays better.

Originally Posted by GREENSMACKS

vince young's proday is today. to bad it isnt televised. i would lveo to see him do a clarett. any thoughts on what he will do or undo? all 32 teams will be in attendance as michael huff is there as we

Originally Posted by Scott Dierking

Did someone leave him breadcrumbs so he knows the way there?

---------------------------------

Enjoy'em and enjoy life. It ain't easy being Green(Beans). Until next time -

GB

Thanks, thhis was hilarious. My favorite though is from Troll:

I like Putzier.

He is what Doug Jolley would have been like if Doug Jolley had talent.

I still laugh out loud when I read this.

I've been nominated numerous times in the past and have yet to see even one of them up for consideration. It's like you found out I was banging your wife or something................:hump:

Beans has a life partner, not that there is anything wrong with that

I've been nominated numerous times in the past and have yet to see even one of them up for consideration. It's like you found out I was banging your wife or something................:hump:
Booze -

I do a search for POTW NOM over the week. Sorry if I've missed your nominations.

GB

Archived