Question About USA Vs England Match (0-0 Final)

TuscanyTile2

Every four years, I try to watch this sport. I really do.  I tried again yesterday.  It was one of the most boring sporting events I have ever watched.  90 minutes of play with a handful of scoring opportunities and 5 shots on goal.  I'm sorry, but it is boring.  I was literally dozing off.  A 0-0 tie or a 1-0 game can be exciting if there are scoring chances, great saves, etc. This game took place mostly in the middle of the field with very few scoring chances. I just don't get the attraction to the sport. The World Cup gets a boost because of nationalism and it taking place once every four years ( after all, how much track and field and gymnastics does anyone watch outside the Olympics).  For me, it's a snooze fest. And then you get to knock out rounds when tie games are settled by the one of the biggest travesties in sports - penalty kicks - a test of luck and overcoming the yips.  

Imagine a tie game in the NFL playoffs being decided by a FG kicking contest or an NBA Final game being decided by a free throw contest. That's what penalty kicks are.  It's moronic.  

• Upvote 1

England reverted to their worst instincts/history and they played scared.  The result was a predictably unwatchable game from which they were lucky to get a point.

What a disappointment

USA on the other hand showed youthful moxie and energy.  There is a decent future for this squad if not at this World cup then surely the next one.  People can blame the heat but it was the cowardice of Southgate more than anything else.  Last time I checked it was hot for both teams.

Pulisic was the best player on the pitch and 2nd best wasn't even close.

2 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Every four years, I try to watch this sport. I really do.  I tried again yesterday.  It was one of the most boring sporting events I have ever watched.  90 minutes of play with a handful of scoring opportunities and 5 shots on goal.  I'm sorry, but it is boring.  I was literally dozing off.  A 0-0 tie or a 1-0 game can be exciting if there are scoring chances, great saves, etc. This game took place mostly in the middle of the field with very few scoring chances. I just don't get the attraction to the sport. The World Cup gets a boost because of nationalism and it taking place once every four years ( after all, how much track and field and gymnastics does anyone watch outside the Olympics).  For me, it's a snooze fest. And then you get to knock out rounds when tie games are settled by the one of the biggest travesties in sports - penalty kicks - a test of luck and overcoming the yips.  

Imagine a tie game in the NFL playoffs being decided by a FG kicking contest or an NBA Final game being decided by a free throw contest. That's what penalty kicks are.  It's moronic.  

A lot of what you say is true, especially regarding nationalism and PKs.  Unfortunately, 120 minutes is all the body can take before guys start cramping and keeling over.  I suppose they could clear the bench with substitutions after 120?  No other option exists.

A big part of the attraction is recognizing the difficulty of what they are doing.  Similar to seeing a WR snag a great catch and then make the first guy miss… it equates to how remarkable and clever these players are with their first touch.  It often takes a buildup with several clean first touches and a creative final pass to break down a defense.  That, and/or the individual “moment of brilliance.”  The emotion of a goal surpasses most other sports’ scoring plays.

It’s cool that you try it once in a while.

I can’t watch a single inning of baseball…

On 11/26/2022 at 10:18 AM, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Here's Hockey Player vs Soccer Player and the biggest reason I can't get into soccer. sh*t is ridiculous. Some offense would be cool too but that seems to be blasphemy for some. Anyway, here ya go...

https://m.facebook.com/100076654609326/videos/1143695792890304/