What was the thinking back in the 2017 draft?

A couple things. Ya, we had Hackenburg, but the real reason is the 1st round QBs weren't graded very highly. Mahomes had a losing record Texas Teck and was more of a scatter-shot backyard QB. Opposite of a tall, stand in the pocket Hackenburg type QB. Even if the Jets weren't all in lock-step with Hack, there didn't seem to be a sure fire QB available worth a 6th overall. Where Jamal Adams was rated as the best player in the nation (coming out).

Taking Jamal wasn't really all that shocking at the time.

• Upvote 1

The same people who are bagging on us for taking Zach over Jamar Chase are the ones out there bagging on us not taking Mahomes and the same ones who don't want us to draft another QB this year because "boom or bust".  Mahomes was arguably a bigger question mark coming out of college than Zach.  

Meanwhile you can make the argument that Jamal Adams is the best draft pick we've made since Revis.  Got 3 years of pro-bowl/all pro level play then traded him for 2 1st round picks.  Meanwhile people talk about him like he's Darron Lee or Calvin Pryor.  

I just want to say although he sucked dogsh*t Christian Hackenberg was the most legit looking NFL QB who ended up sucking in the history of the NFL. Never has somebody looked the part more while sucking so bad  than Christian Hackenberg. Just the complete looking package. Wow. What a sight he was

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

There are just some awful takes in this thread.  And now a few of you are even justifying the Adams pick.  

Time sure does make people idiots.  Similar to those pining for the Rex Ryan days 13 years later.

So you think taking Zach #2 was the correct move at the time?  Because a lot of people out there don't.

1 minute ago, Dax89 said:

So you think taking Zach #2 was the correct move at the time?  Because a lot of people out there don't.

Taking Zach Wilson at 2 in 2021 =/= taking Pat Mahomes at 6 in 2017.

It's a really dumb comparison.

And no, I didn't want Wilson in 2021.  Has nothing to do with Maccagnan botching the pick in '17 and doubling down by taking ANOTHER Safety in Round 2.

2 minutes ago, Dax89 said:

Pat Mahomes was more of a question mark coming out of college than Zach, but thanks Captain Hindsight.  

You just called the Adams pick a good one because of the return we got in draft capital (with the trade being made by a different regime), and you're calling ME Captain Hindsight?

GTFOH.   It's a GM's entire job to have foresight.  Mike Maccagnan had none.  Zero.  And he had no feel for the draft or how it works.  Clowned by other GM's in the league time and time again.

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Similar to those pining for the Rex Ryan days 13 years later.

That one is easy to understand from just how people think - they are swayed by nostalgia. It's a powerful emotion. 

It's why people always dream about getting back together with their exes. But, how many times do couples who get back together actually end up happily ever after? I'd wager FAR less than 50% of the time. And in Rex's case, we are talking about a chick who hasn't been in the dating game for 7 years ("she let herself go"). Doesn't make much sense. But Nostalgia is a powerful feeling. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

You just called the Adams pick a good one because of the return we got in draft capital, and you're calling ME Captain Hindsight?

GTFOH.   It's a GM's entire job to have foresight.

Ragging on the best player we've had since Nick Mangold left the team is asinine.  And if you rag on the decision to not draft Mahomes cause QB but think drafting Darnold or Zach was a mistake cause bust that does indeed make you Captain Hindsight.  

7 hours ago, bonkertons said:

Ah yes, Hackenburg....honestly completely forgot about him.  What's weird is, if that's true and that's the reason why we thought QB wasn't a need yet, he must have looked biblically bad in TC that year considering I don't even think he dressed in the 2017 season.  From what I can see it was McCown and Petty(unless they still thought Petty could be the guy?).

....but yeah that at least makes more sense.  Even if they knew they ****ed up the Hack pick that early, they probably thought the optics of taking a QB that soon would look pretty terrible.  Probably just crossed their fingers that Mahomes and Watson would bust....and in typical Jets fashion, they both became stars.  One of which looks like a future first ballot HOFer.  

They certainly should have known they ****ed up the Hack pick that early.  I am firmly convinced that Maccagnan expected Hackenberg to stat 2016.  It was only after they saw how bad he sucked that they caved to Fitzpatrick.  Prior to that they were sticking to their line in the sand.  They supposedly loved the 2018 draft and that was obviously a huge mistake.  Bad as it looks now, the correct pick certainly seems to have been Watson.  Mahomes is awesome, but way too ceiling/floor for this team to expect him to turn out. 

5 minutes ago, Dax89 said:

Ragging on the best player we've had since Nick Mangold left the team is asinine.  And if you rag on the decision to not draft Mahomes cause QB but think drafting Darnold or Zach was a mistake cause bust that does indeed make you Captain Hindsight.  

Jamal Adams is an overrated POS and we were very lucky to get the return we got there.  Be thankful for Joe Douglas, not Jamal Adams there.

I don't care if you think its hindsight to call drafting Darnold or Wilson mistakes.  They ended up mistakes for a plethora of good reasons that a good GM should have seen in advance.  Darnold leading FBS in fumbles his final year of school and only having one truly great game on his resume, as a freshman.  Wilson never seeing pressure at the collegiate ranks and being a late riser in a COVID year.  These are red flags that were pointed out by posters here.

And a QB-needy team like the Jets had no business on passing on a QB in 2017, so Darnold and Wilson have absolutely nothing to do with that.