“HipDrop” Tackle being Discussed

NYJCAP2

HipDrop” Tackle Being Discussed in League  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Should the NFL make it illegal?

2. 2. Is it any different than the horse collar tackle?

7 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Football is a violent game. You'll never be able to legislate injuries out of it.

Yea but if one singular tackle is causing a lot of injuries and removing it will very much decrease it there has to be thought towards that

Unfortunately though it seems that has been the case with many types of tackles and it's unlikely any of these have any major effect on the overall injury count when banned.

On 2/7/2023 at 12:58 AM, Hex said:

Yea but if one singular tackle is causing a lot of injuries and removing it will very much decrease it there has to be thought towards that

Unfortunately though it seems that has been the case with many types of tackles and it's unlikely any of these have any major effect on the overall injury count when banned.

Right. Like, I get the horsecollar thing (even if the way it's officiated is seemingly a bit inconsistent.) But football is football. It's a tackle sport. Can't hit guys high, can't hit guys low, can't grab his jersey, can't drop your hips... If you want to play flag football play flag football.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Right. Like, I get the horsecollar thing (even if the way it's officiated is seemingly a bit inconsistent.) But football is football. It's a tackle sport. Can't hit guys high, can't hit guys low, can't grab his jersey, can't drop your hips... If you want to play flag football play flag football.

Yep - and I honestly believe that is where the sport is heading as T approaches infinity. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Curious to know why people think this is any different than the horse collar?

5 minutes ago, NYJCAP2 said:

Curious to know why people think this is any different than the horse collar?

I think the leverage of the horsecollar -- having the jersey/shoulderpads from that high up and pulling backwards -- does disproportionately cause injury relative to other types of tackles.

The "hipdrop tackle" as far as I can tell us just dropping your weight once you've got a guy wrapped up. It's just... a tackle. I don't see how you can outlaw something like that. How are these dudes supposed to tackle Derrick Henry if they can't drop their weight?

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I think the leverage of the horsecollar -- having the jersey/shoulderpads from that high up and pulling backwards -- does disproportionately cause injury relative to other types of tackles.

The "hipdrop tackle" as far as I can tell us just dropping your weight once you've got a guy wrapped up. It's just... a tackle. I don't see how you can outlaw something like that. How are these dudes supposed to tackle Derrick Henry if they can't drop their weight?

Defenders can still grab a runner around the shoulders and ride him down, same injury, but it’s not a horse collar.

On 2/4/2023 at 6:43 PM, Beerfish said:

flag football.

It’s coming. Within 10 years - NFL is dying a slow death. These elites don’t care about keeping the game authentic- whatever makes them $$$ they will market. They will keep making these rule changes until the product starts failing- if it ever does

• Upvote 1