PRO BOWL CENTER Ben Jones AVAILABLE!

1 hour ago, derp said:

Unless I’m wrong it’s really an $8.7M hit over their current cap situation ($24M in space) versus $15.8M savings so a difference of $24.5M. The thing is, what are they going to do with $16M in new cap space post June 1? They could sign somebody, but at that point most guys have picked their spot.

Given this is a transition year for them anyway  since Rodgers isn’t coming back, I’d argue it’s better to just take the hit - which they’re pretty much prepared to do given their FA activity - get draft capital sooner, and have the cap space in future years when they’re better able to assess their overall roster situation and know what they’re doing at QB.

I think they can posture about wanting to wait until June 1, but realistically I think not trading for capital this year to open up cap space really late is actually a negative for the Packers and a benefit for the Jets - as they can hang onto all their 2023 picks to improve this roster and still get Rodgers in for TC.

If I’m in Douglas’ shoes I have a 2023 draft offer I feel is fair (and doesn’t include pick 13) on the table and if the Packers wait that’s fine. Really think it’s better for GB to get this done pre-draft and it’s a tick better for the Jets to do it post draft.

I don’t see brinkmanship negotiations happening. The contract is what it is. There is no competition, no fear of loss. Nobody is walking away from the table. The only plausible explanation for the delay is the June 1 issue. This would have been hammered out with conditional picks while Rodgers was hallucinating if not for the June 1 issue. The packers will need the cap room for loves 5th year option alone. The basic point I’m making is I don’t think anyone should be checking their phone for news until it’s 90 degrees out and the sun sets at 8:00 lol

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Larz said:

They only get to split the money over 2 years after June 1   It’s a 25 million dollar difference before and after June 1. That’s a lot of cap space. I don’t think it’s done before then. They would need a huge offer to justify taking a 40 million dollar hit this year especially if they plan to do the 20 million dollar 5th year option for love. 
settle in for a long wait. 

Other deals can be restructured to spread that same $25mm over to next year.  It's just paperwork and cash flow (which is the only real concern here that I can see)  

They signed Wes Schweitzer, another guy who has had concussions, but does not have the pedigree to be a top lineman, more of a backup G/C. I think Jones could come inexpensive and be a bridge to a young center. Rodgers will likely prefer a veteran, but who knows at this point. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Larz said:

I don’t see brinkmanship negotiations happening. The contract is what it is. There is no competition, no fear of loss. Nobody is walking away from the table. The only plausible explanation for the delay is the June 1 issue. This would have been hammered out with conditional picks while Rodgers was hallucinating if not for the June 1 issue. The packers will need the cap room for loves 5th year option alone. The basic point I’m making is I don’t think anyone should be checking their phone for news until it’s 90 degrees out and the sun sets at 8:00 lol

Love’s fifth year option is in 2024, no? He’s already under contract in 2023. They could take the savings and roll it over or they could have less dead money on the books for Rodgers next year…I’m not quite sure I see how the two contract situations are related.

20 minutes ago, Larz said:

imo the plausible reason is GM self-preservation. By waiting, their fans won't scream as loudly when they don't get anywhere near the multiple 1st rounders they claim to want.  

If they made a deal last week & merely got a couple day 2 or 3 picks (not all this year either), then they didn't hold out for more.

if they wait a decent amount longer - whether it's 3 weeks or 3 months - then no matter what they end up with, it's easier for the fanbase to accept the reality that this was the most anyone was ever going to offer, and they didn't simply cave immediately. 

That is more of a reason to let this drag out. His $38MM is hitting their cap no matter what, and since they've already restructured so many to make it fit, it really makes no difference if it's all in '23 or if it's spread between '23 and '24.

They are $24-25MM under right now. It'll clear $24MM more this year to wait, except that extra amount won't be used so late after FA. Rather, the $24MM cleared will just forward to '24 when Rodgers will have $24MM in dead cap, for a $0 net change; it's the same either way.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

imo the plausible reason is GM self-preservation. By waiting, their fans won't scream as loudly when they don't get anywhere near the multiple 1st rounders they claim to want.  

If they made a deal last week & merely got a couple day 2 or 3 picks (not all this year either), then they didn't hold out for more.

if they wait a decent amount longer - whether it's 3 weeks or 3 months - then no matter what they end up with, it's easier for the fanbase to accept the reality that this was the most anyone was ever going to offer, and they didn't simply cave immediately. 

That is more of a reason to let this drag out. His $38MM is hitting their cap no matter what, and since they've already restructured so many to make it fit, it really makes no difference if it's all in '23 or if it's spread between '23 and '24.

They are $24-25MM under right now. It'll clear $24MM more this year to wait, except that extra amount won't be used so late after FA. Rather, the $24MM cleared will just forward to '24 when Rodgers will have $24MM in dead cap, for a $0 net change; it's the same either way.

It gets split over 2 years if the trade is post June 1. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, JETS SB said:

He was due $8.2 MM when Tennessee decided to cut him with a designation of Failed Physical.

If he is healthy, I think it would be a smart move.  Starting a rookie center in front of Rodgers could be risky.  I would draft a center in the 2nd or third round, to be there if Jones gets hurt or as a backup guard.  Then, the rookie can take over in 2024.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Larz said:

It gets split over 2 years if the trade is post June 1. 

I'm aware of that.

I'm saying it doesn't matter. They need to carry his cap # through June 1st anyway, so the cap relief wouldn't occur until they're done shopping around for FAs. 

What'll happen is the cap relief they clear in June/July will go unused (i.e. the same result as not having it in the first place). It'll just get carried over to 2024 in the form of a higher ceiling, but then the 2nd year of Rodgers dead money would hit in that same amount ($0 additional used this year and $0 additional cleared/hit next year).

The net effect will be that there is no net effect.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I'm aware of that.

I'm saying it doesn't matter. They need to carry his cap # through June 1st anyway, so the cap relief wouldn't occur until they're done shopping around for FAs. 

What'll happen is the cap relief they clear in June/July will go unused (i.e. the same result as not having it in the first place). It'll just get carried over to 2024 in the form of a higher ceiling, but then the 2nd year of Rodgers dead money would hit in that same amount ($0 additional used this year and $0 additional cleared/hit next year).

The net effect will be that there is no net effect.

You stole the face saving idea from otc lol. 

There are some benefits to waiting if you are Green Bay and I’ve discussed those in the past. From a salary cap standpoint the Packers can split his dead money up as $15,833,770 this year and $24,480,000 in 2024. So rather than losing salary cap space in 2023 they would actually gain some room.

a benefit is a benefit. Losing is different than gaining. You’re wrong 

5 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

So again though - they'e willing to wait to get nothing for him - just out of spite.  They'll be no trade value at that point. 

The cap issue isn't really a thing .  They owe the same amount of money - just spend over two years instead of one, other contracts can be restructured to achieve the same results as waiting. It really is a non-issue.

So they take less value in a trade for Rodgers - so they can save some time in restructuring other contracts.

The longer this goes on the more pressure will be on the Packers.

Ultimately this will get done before the draft - because GB knows it's a net negative to wait.

That's what I hope as well but if Douglas is trying to get them to eat some of that $60m bonus, the cap space this year would help.

I understand restructuring and overall cap shifting of money, idk the logistics of eating part of that bonus and if it cN be pushed to a future year or not. I was under the impression it would accelerate to this year

5 hours ago, slimjasi said:

I hear you, but I would think the Packers would want draft capital in this draft. 

Depends, Packers have 10 draft picks this year. I could absolutely see them opting for 2024 picks, especially if they think they can get a 1st if they eat some of that bonus.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Larz said:

You stole the face saving idea from otc lol. 

There are some benefits to waiting if you are Green Bay and I’ve discussed those in the past. From a salary cap standpoint the Packers can split his dead money up as $15,833,770 this year and $24,480,000 in 2024. So rather than losing salary cap space in 2023 they would actually gain some room.

a benefit is a benefit. Losing is different than gaining. You’re wrong 

I did no such thing "lol" and posted the same opinion last week -- I appreciate & like Jason but haven't watched his video. I don't take others' opinions as my own, let alone from someone I respect. If he also said this in his video then we both came upon the same idea, and it's a reasonable take for a GM who's always in the self-PR business (particularly with something as sensitive as a Rodgers transaction).

That aside, you're touting a benefit they don't need and won't use. 

They don't need it since they're already comfortably under the cap as it is for this year -- they've already made enough moves specifically to absorb it all before 6/1 and are some $25MM under right now.

They won't use it because the gain in cap space will be an influx after 95% of the FAs have signed in June. That's not a benefit. Bumping their $25MM today to $50MM under after 6/1 doesn't provide them with any tangible, needed breathing room to do anything they otherwise couldn't. 

Unless a team simply is unable to make the restructure moves the Packers have already made, beneficial post-6/1 cuts are typically done in March anyway, with a post-6/1 designation, unless the team needs to do so with >1 such player (I think they're limited to one per season). The benefit is to get (a) the extra spending room while there are still so many FAs still available, and/or (b) to do so before a 5th day of league year bonus kicks in. Waiting until after 6/1 for a trade accomplishes neither.

For a team already comfortably under the cap, providing a mountain of additional space in June after expensive FAs have already found their '23 homes would be like providing someone with $50K to go on a shopping spree in a dollar store. And if they DID use it up then it's $25MM less next year, which they'll feel after they've already pushed so many '23 cap hits off to then. If they did it after 6/1, it'd go as unused space they'll carry over to '24 anyway.

So what you're suggesting defeats what they've spent this month trying to accomplish. It makes no sense at all.

24 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Report: The #Jets have extended a multi-year deal to former #Titans center Ben Jones. Full details of the offer are unknown, but New York is attempting to lock up its center. #NFL

Shouldn't be too much in theory -- his last 2 contracts were at $7MM per, and this time around he'll be 34 before camp even starts.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1