Teams potentially looking for QBs in 2024

I wonder if part of the reason why Levis slid is because some teams are doing the Jets-2018 move; rolling the dice and banking on next year's QB class.  Right now it looks pretty appealing, so I was curious to see which teams are shaping up to be in the market for a rookie QB next year:

1.  Cardinals - this is probably the last chance for Murray.  Most mocks have ARI finishing near the bottom of the standings again, and if that happens you know for a fact they will take one of the big names.  They took Tune late in this draft but that's clearly more of a project pick.

2.  Raiders - they signed Jimmy G but that shouldn't stop them from taking one of these top prospects if they have the opportunity.  Jimmy would be a good mentor for a franchise QB anyway I'd think.  They took Haener this year but again, that's not going to stop them from taking an elite prospect next year.

3.  Rams - I doubt they'll finish low enough for one of the big guys, but they could finish low enough to realistically move up.

4.  Bucs - there's a glaring hole here.  Brady still hasn't been replaced.  They drafted Trask in the 2nd in 2021 but he's still a pretty big question-mark.  It's doubtful that Mayfield is the answer either.  

5.  Commanders - that NFC East is probably going to beat up on Washington a lot next year, so there's a good chance they'll be in a position to take one of these kids.  It would be a no brainer if one is on the board.

6.  Packers - if Love really struggles in year one - bad enough to where Green Bay is picking towards the top of the draft - I don't see how they don't at least consider starting fresh.  He'll be going into year 5 in 2024.  That's a pretty big risk to pass on one of these studs in favor of a guy who still hasn't cemented himself after that much time(if it plays out that way).

7.  Broncos - less likely, but if Wilson has another year that's THIS bad and the Broncos have one of these kids staring them in the face at the time of the draft, I don't see how they don't at least consider it.  Wilson carries a ton of dead cap next year but not nearly as much as if they tried to cut him right now.  They could conceivably hang onto him for another year after drafting their new QB and then cut him in 2025.

8.  Patriots - this is the one to watch for me.  I think this is Mac Jones' last year.  I know Belichick isn't one to move up in the draft or make a big splash, but I wouldn't put it past him to make a move like this after seeing how difficult life after Brady has been for the Pats.  Again, it probably only works if the Pats have a bad year, and looking at the strength of the division I'd say that's a pretty safe bet.  Granted, with Belichick there is always the chance they surprise and somehow win the division, with Mac Jones turning into a stud.....but probably not.  

Honorable Mention:

9.  Seahawks - it's possibly Seattle would love to add a young stud QB to eventually take over for Geno.  As good as Geno was last year, people will want to see him do it again.  Even if he does, he only signed a 3 year deal and is 32 years old.  Not THAT old for a QB, but you'd assume he doesn't have that many years left at a high level.  Still though, Seattle should be too good to be picking in that range.  More than likely if they do look QB, it'll be that 2nd tier with a guy like Nix or Hartman.    

10. Dolphins - I'll admit this revolves solely on Tua's health, but it's a possibility.  If Tua goes down again, Miami HAS to replace him.  They can not rely on this kid anymore after that(nor should he continue risking his health).  Even then, it's possible they'll prefer going after a veteran, much like us this offseason, since they are a team ready to win.  Question is whether or not they can even afford that with their cap situation.

11. Jets???  - I had to put them in.  Obviously we won't have a 1st(most likely), and even if we did it should be nowhere near high enough to even consider moving up for one of the top talents, but QB could still be a position the Jets look to target in 2024.  Either Rodgers will be gone or he'll be going into his last year(most likely).  If Zach doesn't look encouraging in practice, this would be a no-brainer.  Honestly, even if he does look like he takes some strides in 2023, it would still be a smart play to bring in a backup plan/competition.  Another kid who could learn a bit under a future 1st ballot HOFer for a year and then look to take the job in 2025.  I'd look for the Jets to target that next tier QB as well.  Anyone in rounds 2-4 I'd say.  Any later and it seems a little too high-risk/low-reward.

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Could also be that Levis is a big ole weirdo. Didn’t this draft tie a record for most QBs picked top 5???

Have you seen him eat a banana?  It's criminal.

Not sure on the record but I wouldn't be surprised.  I can't remember the last time I saw 3 QBs go in the top-4.  I know 2018 had a bunch go early, which was expected.  Seems most drafts in the past would have two big QB prospects going 1-2, and then there was a big dropoff.  Richardson's meteoric rise + a bunch of teams being in the market for a franchise QB made this draft a little unique in that regard.  Only guy I'm sold on though is Young.  We'll see how the others develop.

• Haha 1

Just realized I missed another pretty obvious one in the Falcons.  I know people were looking at them as an option this year for Richardson if he was there, or for a potential Lamar trade.  I'd imagine they will also be in the market next year as well depending on how Ridder performs.

Good list. Definitely agree with the addition of the Falcons. Could be a lot of teams.

Cowboys would be a sneaky one. Quarterbacks are playing for a while now, but Dak expires in 2024. They may want to get moving on a succession plan if they don't think he's going to get them where they want to go.

It's a bit of a long shot but I bet the Steelers could work their way in there. Pickett's not awesome - that is my own bias - and they didn't invest that much in him.

Would throw in the Lions as another long shot - they may be hanging on to Goff but I think he'll limit them (my bias creeps in again) and they really didn't invest any more in Hooker than Carolina or Tennessee did in Corrall or Willis last year. I thought they were sneaky for Richardson but obviously he didn't make it there.

Bears as well. Fields was awesome running but not so great throwing. They've tried to support him but may need to cut bait if he doesn't progress as a passer.

The 49ers may be another sneaky one. They have three QB's but they might actually have no QB's. I'm not really a believer in Purdy though so I admittedly have a bias there.

• Upvote 1

Vegas odds has Arizona as the favorite to have the worst record, but right behind them is a group tied at 6.5 in the Texans, Raiders, Rams, Commanders, and Colts. Conspiracy theory floating around is that the Cardinals are going to find a way to keep Kyler out for the entirety of 2023, but if he comes back at midseason, there‘s a chance he wills them to some wins. I think the Raiders and Rams are too competent at QB to fully pull off the tank, but Washington, Texans, and the Colts—presuming they all start their young QBs—are going to be in a sprint to the bottom. Dark horse candidate for worst record is the Packers, who will be very bad if Love isn’t legit. I think it’ll be an historic year for second-half tanking. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Vegas odds has Arizona as the favorite to have the worst record, but right behind them is a group tied at 6.5 in the Texans, Raiders, Rams, Commanders, and Colts. Conspiracy theory floating around is that the Cardinals are going to find a way to keep Kyler out for the entirety of 2023, but if he comes back at midseason, there‘s a chance he wills them to some wins. I think the Raiders and Rams are too competent at QB to fully pull off the tank, but Washington, Texans, and the Colts—presuming they all start their young QBs—are going to be in a sprint to the bottom. Dark horse candidate for worst record is the Packers, who will be very bad if Love isn’t legit. I think it’ll be an historic year for second-half tanking. 

As happy as I am to have Rodgers, it really stinks to not have our 1st rounder next year.  We're absolutely out of the Caleb Williams sweepstakes.

7 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

As happy as I am to have Rodgers, it really stinks to not have our 1st rounder next year.  We're absolutely out of the Caleb Williams sweepstakes.

The only way we’d end up in those sweepstakes is if Rodgers gets hurt very early in the season, in which case he wouldn’t hit the 65% threshold and we’d keep the first rounder.

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Even if we did have our first, this team is not bad enough to get the first overall. It would take a lot of injuries. I mean they had historically bad QB play last year and still ended up at 13. 

On 5/3/2023 at 6:38 PM, derp said:

Good list. Definitely agree with the addition of the Falcons. Could be a lot of teams.

Cowboys would be a sneaky one. Quarterbacks are playing for a while now, but Dak expires in 2024. They may want to get moving on a succession plan if they don't think he's going to get them where they want to go.

It's a bit of a long shot but I bet the Steelers could work their way in there. Pickett's not awesome - that is my own bias - and they didn't invest that much in him.

Would throw in the Lions as another long shot - they may be hanging on to Goff but I think he'll limit them (my bias creeps in again) and they really didn't invest any more in Hooker than Carolina or Tennessee did in Corrall or Willis last year. I thought they were sneaky for Richardson but obviously he didn't make it there.

Bears as well. Fields was awesome running but not so great throwing. They've tried to support him but may need to cut bait if he doesn't progress as a passer.

The 49ers may be another sneaky one. They have three QB's but they might actually have no QB's. I'm not really a believer in Purdy though so I admittedly have a bias there.

True, I even had Detroit on my list originally until I remembered they drafted Hooker.  I suppose I view him higher but you're right, he shouldn't stop them from taking an elite QB prospect if they have the opportunity.  I think Detroit is too good to be near that range of the draft though, and I'm not sure they'd feel it is worth drafting one of that next tier(Nix/McCarthy/Penix/Hartman).  Anything is possible though.

I could also see that with the Bears if Fields really struggles.  They have a nice little core outside of him.  They could decide to sell him off for probably a decent pick(thinking something in the Darnold range even if he has a miserable season) and take their replacement.  They'd have to finish near the bottom though for this to be an option I think.

Cowboys could be crazy enough to trade a king's ransom to replace Dak.  I wonder if they consider moving on from Dak, whether they'd prefer to go the route we went, with a vet.  They seem like a win-now team, and while adding a franchise QB is nice, it just might not line up with their window.  Look at Lawrence, it even took him about a year and a half to find his game.  Granted the Jags were a much worse team than what the Cowboys would be next year, but still.  I think if they went this route, they'd probably be selling off other assets as well and kind of retooling.  

Steelers I agree although I think next year might be one year too early, unless Pickett really sh*ts the bed.  But yeah, if he completely flops and they have one of those kids staring them in the face, they'd have to pull the trigger.

As far as the Niners go, I'm hoping they'd be in the market for Zach lol.  I think a full year of "Zach learning a lot from Rodgers", "rejuvenated Wilson looks like a new QB", "Wilson making the most of his time behind a HOFer" in the headlines could potentially go a long way toward rebuilding his stock.  Not to the point where we'd get a 1st, but maybe a 3rd or so?  2nd if we're extremely lucky.  But yeah, if that happens I'd assume SF would be one of the teams who would consider making a move for him.

On 5/4/2023 at 2:55 PM, Zachtomims47 said:

Even if we did have our first, this team is not bad enough to get the first overall. It would take a lot of injuries. I mean they had historically bad QB play last year and still ended up at 13. 

This was my thinking as well.  Not only would Rodgers have to get hurt almost immediately, but so would Becton, Quinnen, Garrett, Breece, Sauce, AVT.  I think you'd have to lose at least 2/3 of that group PLUS Rodgers for us to be anywhere near the bottom of the league in 2023.  

On 5/3/2023 at 11:12 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

I agree.  I've always been addicted to the draft.  Luckily 2nd and 3rd rounders yield you some pretty good talent as well in football.  Could easily get a couple of starters there, or at least guys who will be contributors right away, if you choose right.  

...but yeah, not having a pick night 1 will be a little disappointing.  Will be less disappointing though if we are the reigning champs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/3/2023 at 10:02 PM, T0mShane said:

The cardinals are a mess but if Murray plays next season I have a hard time seeing them being worse than the raiders(if Brady doesn’t unretire) and Bucs.  They also still have marquise brown and Zach ertz. Rams I think are also going to try to tank for the hometown kid Caleb

Commanders will be just mediocre.  I actually think Love will be good for the packers

As always we will have at least two QBs not thought of as franchise guys who will sky rocket up the list.  We have the obvious two in Williams and Maye but it will be interesting to see what other guys vault up into top 10 talk as he season progresses.

On 5/3/2023 at 1:58 PM, bonkertons said:

Just realized I missed another pretty obvious one in the Falcons.  I know people were looking at them as an option this year for Richardson if he was there, or for a potential Lamar trade.  I'd imagine they will also be in the market next year as well depending on how Ridder performs.

I think Ridder does ok this season.  He has a very good supporting cast and good coaching