Trey Lance

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

It was a rumor that was floating around the draft space in 2021 when everyone was trying to figure out who the Niners came up for. Because Shanahan’s platonic ideal QB was Kirk Cousins (and he allegedly wanted nothing to do with RGIII), most presumed it was for Mac Jones. My presumption was that they moved to three with the belief that Steve Young and Team Wilson would pressure Douglas to either pass on Zach or trade the 2 pick to San Fran for 3 and some change. This rumor gets revisited every time Lynch has to go on camera and justify the pick of Lance. 

This isn’t rumor, this is conjecture.   Pure speculation with nothing of substance to support it as even a theory.    That nobody would put their name to it isn’t surprising.

And from a logical point of view it seems lacking.  Why would any organization, never mind one as well run as San Fran, expend massive resources and box itself into a corner for no apparent reason.   This would be far worse than MacCagnan trading up to the third spot hoping a QB fell that he liked - you’re suggesting that they gave up three number 1 s hoping they’d be able to trade up again ( with what?) and get the second pick, not even knowing if the Jets would be interested?   If there’s even a thread of truth to that the GM should have been fired immediately.    But wait, there’s more-  when they couldn’t get the guy they really wanted, they took a guy the coach didn’t want?   Does that make any sense at all?  

I think it’s much more likely they liked Lances raw skill set and their collective egos felt Shanahan could mold him into a better version of Kaepernick, a dual threat player that would challenge defenses both running and passing.    

So why has he failed to this point?

• Upvote 1

This isn’t rumor, this is conjecture.   Pure speculation with nothing of substance to support it as even a theory.    That nobody would put their name to it isn’t surprising.

And from a logical point of view it seems lacking.  Why would any organization, never mind one as well run as San Fran, expend massive resources and box itself into a corner for no apparent reason.   This would be far worse than MacCagnan trading up to the third spot hoping a QB fell that he liked - you’re suggesting that they gave up three number 1 s hoping they’d be able to trade up again ( with what?) and get the second pick, not even knowing if the Jets would be interested?   If there’s even a thread of truth to that the GM should have been fired immediately.    But wait, there’s more-  when they couldn’t get the guy they really wanted, they took a guy the coach didn’t want?   Does that make any sense at all?  

I think it’s much more likely they liked Lances raw skill set and their collective egos felt Shanahan could mold him into a better version of Kaepernick, a dual threat player that would challenge defenses both running and passing.    

But why trade all the way to 3 if they liked Lance? No one had him going that high. To me that's what doesn't make sense.

3 minutes ago, bicketybam said:
1 hour ago, Bowles Movement said:

But why trade all the way to 3 if they liked Lance? No one had him going that high. To me that's what doesn't make sense.

Jeremiah had him ranked 11 th best prospect, Field's 12th, Mac Jones 33.  QBs get over drafted.  Zac Wilson was ranked 4th best overall

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

Well, he failed to this point because he sat his rookie year, and then broke his ankle 15 minutes into his second season.

Don't get me wrong, I thought he was a huge reach, the fact that SF could give up that much and still not miss a beat is impressive.

15 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

People here jump all over JD for the Wilson pick, but the Lance pick was arguably much much worse.  The 49ers traded up to 3 slot and had a championship roster already.  They gave up the 12th pick in the 2021 draft, plus a first and 3rd in 2022 and a first in 2023.  When that is considered, the Lance pick was far worse than the Wilson pick.  That's 3 firsts and third wasted on a bust.  

True.

Of course, the flip side is that the Jets theoretically could have been on the other side of that trade with the 9ers which would have been incredible. But it is what it is.

21 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

cant wait to see our boy Sammy in the Kyle Shannhan offense

My two cents here.  I've heard a handful of pundits say that the KS offense will be good for Darnold.   I dont think so at all.  Going back to the days when the Jets were still trying to get Darnold to work out, I felt that the correct fit would be a modernized version of the Joe Bugel offense.  The stuff we saw with the old Redskins when Joe T. was the QB.  

With Darnold, you want an aggressive, man blocking offensive line.  Not outside zone.  You want backs that rUn run both smash mouth between the tackles, but are also good at taking advantage of misdirection from the line blocking.  Counter, trey, counter gap and so on.  You want to pair that with a QB that can move with the line laterally and is also a good ball handler, and has a strong enough arm to take shots down the field with play action when the running game does its job and affords you a defense that has come up close.  

Zone blocking and or a passing game that relies on timing and sharp ball placement is not the answer for Sam.

On 6/5/2023 at 10:22 AM, THE BARON said:

My two cents here.  I've heard a handful of pundits say that the KS offense will be good for Darnold.   I dont think so at all.  Going back to the days when the Jets were still trying to get Darnold to work out, I felt that the correct fit would be a modernized version of the Joe Bugel offense.  The stuff we saw with the old Redskins when Joe T. was the QB.  

With Darnold, you want an aggressive, man blocking offensive line.  Not outside zone.  You want backs that rUn run both smash mouth between the tackles, but are also good at taking advantage of misdirection from the line blocking.  Counter, trey, counter gap and so on.  You want to pair that with a QB that can move with the line laterally and is also a good ball handler, and has a strong enough arm to take shots down the field with play action when the running game does its job and affords you a defense that has come up close.  

Zone blocking and or a passing game that relies on timing and sharp ball placement is not the answer for Sam.

Sam Darnold will be starting regular season games for the 49ers this fall