Trey Lance

2 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Yup.I'm not a Trey Lance fan, but seriously? One pass in a drill is how to evaluate a QB?  🙄

I mean he’s been in the league for 3 years now. You think Lance will develop into a legitimate QB? 

• WTF? 1
  • More Ugh 1

28 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

I mean he’s been in the league for 3 years now. You think Lance will develop into a legitimate QB? 

I don't think so, but that opinion has nothing to do with a video of one single pass in shorts in a drill in June.  I can find a video of a similar horrible pass by Rodgers.  Are the Jets screwed?

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The post-mortem on the Lance pick will be fascinating. Rumor is that Shanahan wanted Mac Jones but got vetoed by Lynch, and Lance was the end result. 

Id be curious as to the source of those rumors.  Can you elaborate?

Picking Jones at 3 would have been a higher floor lower ceiling choice.   Not the guy Im taking at 3 if I have confidence my staff could develop the superior athlete.  Lance has been as disappointing as Wilson, do you have any insight into what exactly the issue is?  With his physical skills and the coaching at San Fran, he should be better.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

The post-mortem on the Lance pick will be fascinating. Rumor is that Shanahan wanted Mac Jones but got vetoed by Lynch, and Lance was the end result. 

And it’ll turn out that aside from Lawrence at the top of the draft the move was one of the many elite position players. Who ever could have possibly predicted?

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

48 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Ah… so you’re Stanning for Sam and Zach? Gotcha.

btw Zach ain’t “cookin”. He sucks.

I’m not “stanning” for anyone? Lol just interested in the niners QB situation and of course that 2021 Qb class.  

It’s becoming clear Trey Lance is pretty much just as big of a bust as Zach Wilson — difference is the 9ers are such a well run org that it hasn’t impacted them on the field. Incredible, really. That nobody will lose their jobs over that horrific trade up and the 9ers are still Super Bowl contenders year in year out.

• Upvote 3

39 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

It’s becoming clear Trey Lance is pretty much just as big of a bust as Zach Wilson — difference is the 9ers are such a well run org that it hasn’t impacted them on the field. Incredible, really. That nobody will lose their jobs over that horrific trade up and the 9ers are still Super Bowl contenders year in year out.

People here jump all over JD for the Wilson pick, but the Lance pick was arguably much much worse.  The 49ers traded up to 3 slot and had a championship roster already.  They gave up the 12th pick in the 2021 draft, plus a first and 3rd in 2022 and a first in 2023.  When that is considered, the Lance pick was far worse than the Wilson pick.  That's 3 firsts and third wasted on a bust.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I'm not sure what's true and what isn't but there was tons of rumors SF moved up for Jones and then got destroyed in the media for a month straight...if Lynch or Shanahan backed off because of media dipsh*ts and public pressure that's pretty pathetic.  Who knows what's tru tho wasn't it also rumored they wanted to trade that first for Darnold?

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

When the jets choose wrong on a QB they end up missing out on Marino and mahomes.  When other teams choose wrong on a QB they end up missing out freaking mac jones..

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, derp said:

And it’ll turn out that aside from Lawrence at the top of the draft the move was one of the many elite position players. Who ever could have possibly predicted?

I get the logic of “reaching” for the QB even if you’re not 100% sold on him, but I couldn’t do that as a GM. I would keep my powder dry as long as possible while building up the rest of the team and only throw in on a QB I was ~65% sold on. No way would I pull the trigger on one of the massive projections.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

Id be curious as to the source of those rumors.  Can you elaborate?

Picking Jones at 3 would have been a higher floor lower ceiling choice.   Not the guy Im taking at 3 if I have confidence my staff could develop the superior athlete.  Lance has been as disappointing as Wilson, do you have any insight into what exactly the issue is?  With his physical skills and the coaching at San Fran, he should be better.

It was a rumor that was floating around the draft space in 2021 when everyone was trying to figure out who the Niners came up for. Because Shanahan’s platonic ideal QB was Kirk Cousins (and he allegedly wanted nothing to do with RGIII), most presumed it was for Mac Jones. My presumption was that they moved to three with the belief that Steve Young and Team Wilson would pressure Douglas to either pass on Zach or trade the 2 pick to San Fran for 3 and some change. This rumor gets revisited every time Lynch has to go on camera and justify the pick of Lance. 

20 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I get the logic of “reaching” for the QB even if you’re not 100% sold on him, but I couldn’t do that as a GM. I would keep my powder dry as long as possible while building up the rest of the team and only throw in on a QB I was ~65% sold on. No way would I pull the trigger on one of the massive projections.

I think if you look back, drafting a quarterback that high as the second or third guy off the board is a little new. Crucial position for sure, but forcing it that high hasn’t worked out well the majority of the time. Gets harder and harder to be prudent and draft and develop later when those guys fly off the board so much earlier than they should though.

Still think it’s best to have pieces in place to be a fringe playoff team and then move up into the 6-10 range to take somebody. Next best strategy is to be awful and hope you’re the most awful team the year a truly elite player comes out, but that’s only probably every 3 years or so.

• Post of the Week 1

Reminds me of everyone making fun of Josh Allen when he missed the net from 10 yards away in the predraft process.
You cant project a player off one pass.
Where have you been ... This is SOP at 1JD.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, GreenFish said:

Reminds me of everyone making fun of Josh Allen when he missed the net from 10 yards away in the predraft process.

You cant project a player off one pass.

This isn’t the pre draft process tho this is year 3 for him. In the last 5 years (including college) he’s only played in 20 games. Very strange career arc for him so far