Which of the following statements regarding Mekhi Becton will turn out to be true?

Alka

It's interesting that many responses are saying that #6 will not be true.  #6 says that Becton will never again play right tackle.

If we look at the early first depth chart of the Jets, Becton is currently listed as Left Tackle #2 behind Billy Turner.  Duane Brown hasn't played yet, but my strong feeling is that he will be moved up to left tackle #1 when he is back on the field, moving Billy Turner down to left tackle #2, and Becton to left tackle #3.

So, why isn't Becton vying for right tackle right now?  Max Mitchell is listed as the #1 right tackle, and others behind him not named Becton.

I know it is very early yet, but still, it is interesting.

It's interesting that many responses are saying that #6 will not be true.  #6 says that Becton will never again play right tackle.

If we look at the early first depth chart of the Jets, Becton is currently listed as Left Tackle #2 behind Billy Turner.  Duane Brown hasn't played yet, but my strong feeling is that he will be moved up to left tackle #1 when he is back on the field, moving Billy Turner down to left tackle #2, and Becton to left tackle #3.

So, why isn't Becton vying for right tackle right now?  Max Mitchell is listed as the #1 right tackle, and others behind him not named Becton.

42 minutes ago, Alka said:

Dude we get it.  No need to repeat yourself five times

10 hours ago, Alka said:

Which statements will turn out to be true regarding Mekhi Becton:

1. Becton will never in his future ever be healthy enough to play in at least 14 games in a season.

2. Becton will be retired by the age of 30, due to his knee injury and other ailments.

3. Becton will not be a NY Jet in 2024.

4.  Becton will not play in more than 8 games in 2023.

5. Becton will not be a starter in 2023, and will backup Duane Brown at left tackle. 

6.  Becton will not play at right tackle, ever again.

7. Becton will go on IR at some point in 2023, if he does see the field in any extended action.

I think all of the above statements have an excellent chance of turning out true.  This knee "day to day" thing has really got me worried.  I refuse to continue to get "sucked in" by Mekhi Becton.

As a Jets fan, of course I would hope I am wrong, and he turns out to have a wonderful season and career, but I may have lost hope after this latest hiccup.  Remember, D'Brick Ferguson missed an entire one play from one game his entire career at left tackle.  Try to digest that, and compare it to Mekhi Becton.

I hope that none are true,  Sadly, #1-#3 could wind up being true.  Comparing him with Brick, is a little silly, however.  Brick was a freak, an anomaly.  There aren't many players in NFL history who have only missed one play in their career.  It's sucked that Becton has missed the last 2 years, but if he could get fully healthy and play anywhere near his potential, he could still have a great 10-year career or longer.

10 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

What? This is one of the most ridiculous things you've ever said, and you've said some sh*t, dude. 

Brown wasn't a colossal bust of a first round pick that, literally, hasn't contributed a thing since he was drafted. You want to talk about JD's epic mismanagement of the tackle position and the fact that we went into this season relying on two players that never see the field - That's completely valid, but a different conversation. 

A 38 year old (desperation) FA signing and a 1st round draft selection not working out are not even remotely comparable. 

Two players that never see the field?  In 8 of Brown's 15 seasons, he never missed a game. The fewest games he ever played in one season was 10.  That hardly fits him.

Becton could help that GVR rolled up on him, and then he got rushed back last season.  He is not a colossal bust.  That's absurd.  He played at a very high level his rookie season. 

I just don't understand "fans" of a team who are so quick to write them off or turn on players for that team.  They act like all players come out of a mold or cookie cutter and their path is the same.  Nothing could be farther from the truth.  Players learn at different speeds.  Some are late bloomers.  Some struggle with injuries initially. Some are immediately stars.  Some have great rookie season then tail off.  Some are busts.  iMO with very talented players, fans should not be so quick to give up on them.

1 hour ago, Alka said:

Becton wants to play LT.  IMO that's why he's not listed at RT or moved to RT yet.  Turner will not be #2.  In an ideal world, Turner will not see the field this year.  He has not looked good at all so far in TC.  While I expect that to improve, he doesn't have a fraction of the talent of Becton.  IMO it will be between Brown and Becton for the LT spot.  Once Brown comes back, if he beats out Becton for the starting job, Becton would probably get moved over to RT.  With his 5th year option not getting picked up, it would not be to his advantage to sit on the bench all season.  Saleh had said earlier that the best 5 players will start.  IMO Brown and Becton would give us a better pair of OTs than Brown and Mitchell.  Mitchell could be the RT backup.  If Brown got re-injured, Becton would swing to the left side and Mitchell would take over RT.

14 hours ago, JKlecko said:

Becton wants to play LT.  IMO that's why he's not listed at RT or moved to RT yet.  Turner will not be #2.  In an ideal world, Turner will not see the field this year.  He has not looked good at all so far in TC.  While I expect that to improve, he doesn't have a fraction of the talent of Becton.  IMO it will be between Brown and Becton for the LT spot.  Once Brown comes back, if he beats out Becton for the starting job, Becton would probably get moved over to RT.  With his 5th year option not getting picked up, it would not be to his advantage to sit on the bench all season.  Saleh had said earlier that the best 5 players will start.  IMO Brown and Becton would give us a better pair of OTs than Brown and Mitchell.  Mitchell could be the RT backup.  If Brown got re-injured, Becton would swing to the left side and Mitchell would take over RT.

Everything you said makes complete sense.  But will Becton agree to slide over to right tackle?  He claims in the past that the right side is not good for his injured knee, if I read it correctly.  I realize that Becton would increase his value for next season if he agreed to move to right tackle, assuming Brown wins the job at left tackle, but my gut tells me that Becton is not interested in moving to right tackle.  

We will see!

On 7/30/2023 at 9:37 AM, Alka said:

Which statements will turn out to be true regarding Mekhi Becton:

1. Becton will never in his future ever be healthy enough to play in at least 14 games in a season.

2. Becton will be retired by the age of 30, due to his knee injury and other ailments.

3. Becton will not be a NY Jet in 2024.

4.  Becton will not play in more than 8 games in 2023.

5. Becton will not be a starter in 2023, and will backup Duane Brown at left tackle. 

6.  Becton will not play at right tackle, ever again.

7. Becton will go on IR at some point in 2023, if he does see the field in any extended action.

I think all of the above statements have an excellent chance of turning out true.  This knee "day to day" thing has really got me worried.  I refuse to continue to get "sucked in" by Mekhi Becton.

As a Jets fan, of course I would hope I am wrong, and he turns out to have a wonderful season and career, but I may have lost hope after this latest hiccup.  Remember, D'Brick Ferguson missed an entire one play from one game his entire career at left tackle.  Try to digest that, and compare it to Mekhi Becton.

In the United States today, we have more than our share of the nattering nabobs of negativism. They have formed their own 4-H Club - the 'hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history.'

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Mecki is in his 4th camp and he still stinks.  Hes the Denzel mims of offenive lineman.  And he does not want to be here.

Bait will be cut shortly.

Sometimes it's hard to read the tea leaves.  Sometimes it's easy.  Mekhi has been luke warm at best in his words for the coaching staff, has stated quite adamantly that "I am a left tackle", and now is "day to day" with his injured knee, not too far into training camp.

As you stated, he clearly does not want to be here.  

My question is: "Is Mekhi thinking about this being a contract year, and that for him to maximize his money for the future, he needs to be open to playing right tackle, and doing everything he can to get on the field?"

He certainly got himself into good shape, that much I will give him. I believe I read somewhere after his injury last year, that his knee will never be the same as before his injury.  If that is true, then he needs to be in tune with his own body, and with the help of his doctors, understand what the "new normal" will be for his knee going forward.  Maybe he is "day to day" with his knee, because it doesn't feel the way it used to feel before the injury?  

I don't know the answer, but I would love to hear from his doctors and provide some clarity about his knee issues, and what he is currently experiencing.

5 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

big day from Becton. Will earn that starting LT spot

All real Jets fans want this to be true!  And yes, if this turns out to be true, then I will have egg on my face!  I got no problem with that! 

Mekhi, please prove me wrong!!!  

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Alka said:

All real Jets fans want this to be true!  And yes, if this turns out to be true, then I will have egg on my face!  I got no problem with that! 

Mekhi, please prove me wrong!!!  

Exactly, I hope he becomes the best LT of all time.  But as of now, Hes Denzel Mims w/ one nice practice.

• Upvote 1

On 7/30/2023 at 9:51 AM, bitonti said:

Everyone is relentlessly bashing Becton, meanwhile it's Duane Brown who is no where to be found, hasn't played a single snap in camp, the oldest lineman in the league 

At least Becton is out there working his way back 

Put it another way Duane Brown at 38 is more concerning than becton at 25 

Brown will slide off the training table,  throw his sh*t on, and play better for this year than Becton.

Season 4 Episode 3 GIF by The Office

On 7/30/2023 at 9:51 AM, bitonti said:

Everyone is relentlessly bashing Becton, meanwhile it's Duane Brown who is no where to be found, hasn't played a single snap in camp, the oldest lineman in the league 

At least Becton is out there working his way back 

Put it another way Duane Brown at 38 is more concerning than becton at 25 

If there is any player on the roster who is less in need of training camp minutes than Duane brown then I cannot think of his name.

• Upvote 1