Becton has a message

Bronx

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Shocking that anyone should express a desire to be paid well in their occupation. I for one have always told my supervisor that I demand reasonably modest pay, not a penny more, and that he should hold some money back to insure that i do not become complacent.

Of all the players exiting the field after the game, he was the only one thinking about money at the moment.

Tag him.  No big contract.  Fk him.  He is all about himself.  Fat Revis.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

I'm going to beg to differ on DT.  Normally I would agree but you have to give credit to JD that he's had success finding quality in FA (first Rankins, and now Jefferson).  I don't think he needs to spend a high pick on DT, maybe a Day 2-3 pipeline pick...

We're really not in disagreement.  I agree that he doesn't "need" to spend a high pick on a DT, but they may think differently. I wasn't saying that he had to spend a #1 pick on a DT.  I was just saying that I think that's where the Jets may go.  I believe that they want a stud DT to pair with Q in the middle who is adept both at pressuring the QB and stopping the run.  The problem is that the Jets have quite a few FAs next offseason and not a lot of cap space. I think both Woods and Jefferson signed one-year deals, and maybe Solomon Thomas as well.  Fortunately, they're all relatively cheap and they may be able to re-sign them all.  I think they've taken enough DTs in the 1st round to last a while, but the Jets may not think the same way.  JD really tends to draft by BPA rather than need.  They like it when BPA and need match, so the pick could be a DT, but I hope that it will be an OT, WR, or S.

I think that OT, WR. and S are all higher priorities, but I could see them taking a DT if there is one whom they have rated very highly at their pick and not an OT, WR or S. 

10 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

If Zach falls flat or doesn't improve enough, then you have an option taking a QB round 1 and sitting him for a year or 2 behind Rodgers.  Cannot assume a first rounder will be ready to start season 1.

In the meantime, you re-sign or franchise Becton depending on his progress and team him up with Tippmann and AVT moving forward.  Hopefully, there are quality Right Tackles and either a Center or Guard in free agency.  Depth will remain critical given AVT and Becton's injury histories so agree we need to continue fixing the line.

I personally believe all options should be on the table.  While I was a supporter of trading for Rodgers, I have not been happy about the players he brought with him.  At the end of the day, the Jets need to do what is best for 2024 and moving forward.  Has to be the message to Rodgers after this year and a retrospective look at the suspect 'Rodgers' signings such as Cook, Cobb, and others. 

I don't like to say never.  QB should always be on the table until we get it right.  I wanted a capable back-up this year (jury is still out on Zach) and for them to draft a mid rounder.  They chose not to go that route and we'll see what happens next.  But if Zach proves not to be the guy, then we need to continue that search for a franchise QB ... and in doing so, nothing should be off the table.  

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.  I think the Jets believe in Zach and further will not make the same mistake that GB did in drafting AR's replacement, especially when their OL isn't settled and they have other holes/needs.

I agree with you that just because a team take a QB in the 1st round doesn't mean that they have to start day one or at least by mid-season of their rookie year, but we are in the minority.  Most Jets fans think that a rookie QB taken in the 1st round HAS to start by mid-season of his rookie year or he is a bust and shouldn't have been drafted.

Becton definitely needs to be re-signed, but Mitchell is a huge question mark and Carter Warren is an unknown.  The Jets simply cannot go into next season counting on Becton and Mitchell and then having them struggle or go down with injury and having no sound backup.  I think they have to keep AVT at OG.  He seems to get injured when he plays OT.  They need to upgrade their depth at OG and hopefully, Tomlinson's eventual replacement as well, but fortunately, one doesn't have to draft an OG in round 1.  I believe that Tippman will be the starting C next year and McGovern will be the backup.  The Jets aren't going to be big players in FA, because they will have around 20 some FAs and not a lot of cap space.  They can create more cap space by cutting a player or two, but then will have to replace those players (who are starters) with FAs, and they need to re-sign both Becton and Huff.

I don't think the Jets are going to send any message to Rodgers, especially after he took a big pay cut to help the team improve.  He is paying for the salaries of Cobb and Cook, and then some.  Cobb will probably retire and Cook won't be back, unless he really turns it on in the last half of the season.  Rodgers has done a LOT to make this team better, and I think the Jets are going to do everything they can to make Rodgers happy in 2024, which I think will be his last season.

If Zach reverts to earlier form (which I don't think he will), then they may look to draft a QB in the 3rd or 4th round, but I think that they may draft a developmental QB who will hold the clipboard in 2024 and who can possibly be Zach's backup in 2025.

In general, I agree with the philosophy that QB should always be on the table until the Jets get it right, but I think Zach is going to develop into their QB of the future, so in this instance, I don't think they need to draft a QB except a developmental one.  Now if Zach were to revert to his previous level of play, then all best are off, and I think they would look to draft another QB, but again, I don't see that happening.

I think the OL has to be their #1 offseason priority.  If not, and JD sticks with his BPA philosophy, then I think he probably needs to go, in spite of all the good he has done.  The Jets simply cannot go into another season with the OL in question.  They need to have solid answers/starters at all 5 positions and quality depth.  They have to prioritize need over BPA next offseason, and if at all possible their pick with their #1 pick should be an OT, but they may be drafting too low to get a quality OT. In that scenario, then the pick should go probably to WR, as Cobb won't be back, and they need an upgrade to Lazard as their #2 WR. Gipson and Brownlee have potential, but I don't think they should just assume that they will develop and move up the depth chart. I think they need to add another topnotch WR prospect if they can't get an OT.  If they can't get an OT or WR with their #1, then should probably be the #3 priority on their list, as they only have 1 S (Adams) under contract for next season, and their S corps needs to be upgraded.

6 hours ago, doitny said:

its not just about next year unless you can get those guys to accept 3 yr deals. a 4th year will be 2027 the 1st year of a new contract for the 2022 class. and Hall in 2026. i know RB dont get alot these days but he still will be getting a nice raise.

AVT like Zach will have to be decided on may 1 to give him the 5th year. interesting cause before he was a shoo in for it but now injured 2 years in a row with season ending injuries could make that interesting.

then what do we do with him? how big a contract do you give him. he is great,....when he plays. but thats another possible huge contract that will definetly effect the cap down the road in 26/27.

so its not so much for next year but the contracts we give will last long enough to affect the young stars who we all want to keep. there only 3 years away from a big payday. plus 2026 GW and Sause will get those 5th years. there alot more than there making now.

i know the cap goes up every year but thats for the players to make more. whatever the top WRs are getting this year there going to be much more in 3 years when we pay GW. so that cap raise will break even.

you know the main 4 ...GW, Hall. Sause and AVT will want top dollar at there positions. we are not going to have 4 guys getting paid the most at there respective positions. someone or 2 how to go.

i LOOVVVVVVVVVVVEEEE GW. but let be honest. if we dont have a serious good QB after Rodgers he is not going to resign here to watch Zach Wilson go from 29th best to 26th best. that kid is special and needs a top QB to help him break records. if this team insists on continuing the Zach experiment after Rodgers leaves they better hope he turns into Rodgers right away or GW is gone. better to just trade him in 2025 for two 1st rd picks or we loss him for nothing.

but thats another story lol

They're definitely giving AVT the 5th year option. He didn't get a career-altering injury, and anyway they'll take that risk. They don't need a plan for 3 seasons later. If they want to extend him past that, yeah at this point they probably want to see him make it through a full season, but also the best bet for a discount is doing so before he does. Also the 5th year option can eat up a lot of the guaranteed portion if they do so during or right before next season, making it a bit less risk while getting in a year & a half early before further inflation. Anyway I think they'll take that risk.

GW isn't getting lost for nothing. There's no chance of that, nor losing him for just a 3rd round comp pick either. They can have him re-sign by paying him, and getting that contract in well before he hits FA (which, as it always does, will seem like a crazy amount at the time and will seem not so crazy by the time he hits those meaty cap-hit seasons). Worst case they can tag him and, if he truly wants out & it looks like they'll need to tag him a 2nd time then make a trade. They're nowhere near there yet, though; with one tag after the 5th yr option they already control him for until the 2028 off-season starts. 

Breece is more of a question mark what they'll do, only because it's early yet to see to what degree RBs continue to have difficulties getting elite-money extensions. I'm sympathetic to rationalizations & reasons for both the players and the teams on that front. Nobody wants to lose Hall, but I think he's one they probably wait until that 4th season is fully over, then extend him in mid-February or more likely FT him and negotiate while tagged if he's still injury-free and looking anything near the way he does now. Just remember it's unusual to play out that 2nd contract past the guaranteed portion. The Panthers extended McCaffrey early, but then were rewarded for their efforts by him missing most of the following two seasons.

The reason I noted the cap going up is it really isn't hard to deal with. Yes it going up means player inflation, but so it does for every team, and it's worth noting the Jets won't also have a (by then) $65-70MM/year FQB to lock up. Nobody's paying Wilson that much. It goes without saying that their actions will also be driven by how well they draft in '24 and '25 (and whether those picks start playing at high levels right away).

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Dcat said:

Of all the players exiting the field after the game, he was the only one thinking about money at the moment.

The projected O line franchise tag for 2024 is $22 million.  His rookie deal was $18 million over 4 years. I don’t think he’ll be upset.

14 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

The projected O line franchise tag for 2024 is $22 million.  His rookie deal was $18 million over 4 years. I don’t think he’ll be upset.

good.  Because a t his point any copmmitment for more than one year would be a questionable move by the GM

On 10/18/2023 at 12:16 AM, Dcat said:

It’s professional football.  They all play for the contract. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Larz said:

It’s professional football.  They all play for the contract. 

Did you even read what I wrote?  "As they were exiting the field after an inspiring victory he was the ONLY one to send a message about money".  No extension for you.  

Welcome, Mekhi, to the world of the tag. You'll be paid a lot.  Be happy.  One year at a time for you.

1year-tag-resz.png