2024 Yankees Off-Season Thread

Barton

1 hour ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

How is it more of an injury risk to play center?  He got injured playing RF

It's not an injury risk, as much as it is just day to day wear and tear on the legs.

He's signed for almost a decade at mega dollars.   Leave him in right

• Sympathy 1

It's not an injury risk, as much as it is just day to day wear and tear on the legs.
He's signed for almost a decade at mega dollars.   Leave him in right
Correct. There is a lot more ground to cover playing CF as opposed to either corner OF position. I hope they don't plan on him playing CF for the majority of the time. I love Judge but he is injury prone.
  • Upvote 1

I'm not a Yankees fan, just the opposite. The Soto trade was a very good deal for them, but he's not the great end all be all generational player being hyped. He's very good. Even on a one year deal. But just look at his numbers throughout his career. I checked them out last year he battered .275 had 35 hrs and 109 rbis. But after he was traded from Wash to SD he had an off half season with them. And those 2023 numbers higher than previous years. So here's his stats: https://www.mlb.com/player/juan-soto-665742

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I'm not a Yankees fan, just the opposite and the Soto trade was a very good deal for them. But he's not the great end all be all generational player being hyped. He's very good. Even on a one year deal. But just look at his numbers throughout his career. I checked them out last year he battered .275 had 35 hrs and 109 rbis. But after he was traded from Wash to SD he had an off half season with them. And those above 2023 numbers higher than previous years. So here's his stats: https://www.mlb.com/player/juan-soto-665742

If I'm the Yankees, I hit him 2, with Judge behind him.

Soto's OBP is excellent, if you put him there, he may walk a little less (Judge) but get better pitches to hit, so his OBP should again be over 400.

That should, in turn, really increase Judge's RBIs, and then with a healthy Rizzo behind Judge, you will have an actual middle of the lineup with a left/right/left combo.

They still gave up a lot of pitching, and if he is wanting a 12-13 year contract (he turned down a 13 year in the past) I let him go after the season.

4 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

I'm not a Yankees fan, just the opposite. The Soto trade was a very good deal for them, but he's not the great end all be all generational player being hyped. He's very good. Even on a one year deal. But just look at his numbers throughout his career. I checked them out last year he battered .275 had 35 hrs and 109 rbis. But after he was traded from Wash to SD he had an off half season with them. And those 2023 numbers higher than previous years. So here's his stats: https://www.mlb.com/player/juan-soto-665742

Soto's a very good player and I think Judge will have a big influence on him realizing his potential. That said, as a Mets fan, I am hopeful he comes cross-town to the Mets next year but we may be hard pressed to sign him. Between Pete and Soto... who are you giving the big contract to?

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, 32EBoozer said:

Soto's a very good player and I think Judge will have a big influence on him realizing his potential. That said, as a Mets fan, I am hopeful he comes cross-town to the Mets next year but we may be hard pressed to sign him. Between Pete and Soto... who are you giving the big contract to?

I give it to Pete.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Soto will have a monster year.  

Supposedly Cashman wants the Yamamoto kid from Japan.  He can more than replace King in the rotation.  Not a bad plan at all.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Ohtani.  10 years.  700 million

The price of every FA just shot up.   That is the worst contract since A Rod and the Rangers

You might be right. Dude just blew out his arm for the 2nd time in the last 5 years. Who knows what he will pitch like anymore. And before his contract year motivation this season, he was a .270ish hitter. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

we should be able to sign both.

we had Scherzer and Verlander making 40 mil each. both will be off the books next year. now most likely Pete and Soto ask for 50 mil but Cohen should be able to handle that.

thing that scare me is this new GM. he built a good team with a low payroll in Mil, i dont think he wants to spend money like that. watch we start acting like the Wilpons still own the team.

• Upvote 1

On 12/10/2023 at 3:58 PM, bicketybam said:
On 12/10/2023 at 10:53 AM, Rich Thornburgh said:
Yeah that contract will look Stanton-like in about 5 years

If he can't pitch effectively in 2025 it will look like the Bobby Bonilla contract.

Bonilla like.

It's actually 10-450, but he deferring all but 20 million till after the contract is over.   With the interest, he will he paid 680 additionally in the future.

Dodgers actually paying him 2 million cash a year.  On their cap, it counts as 45

Nobody wants to hear it but IMO the lineup is still not very good.

There are only 2 standout guys in the lineup. Thats not enough. 

Lets pick it apart:

Stanton? .200 hitter the last 2 years

Rizzo? .245 hitter the last 2 years and coming off a concussion and nobody knows how he will return

LaMehieu? .260ish hitter the last 2 years and injury prone. Still a decent bat.

Gleyber? league average OBP. Solid bat.

Verdugo? Solid bat. High contact skills. OBP is not high, though.

Catcher? complete unknown. Wells is unproven. Severino coming off a wrist injury.

Guys, this is not a good lineup. Sorry. Additions and subtractions need to be made or its gonna be same ol same ol again. 

A legit speedy, fairly high OBP leadoff hitter or another high end bat (bellinger) is still needed. 

• Upvote 3

52 minutes ago, Barton said:

Lets pick it apart:

Rizzo? .245 hitter the last 2 years and coming off a concussion and nobody knows how he will return

Catcher? complete unknown. Wells is unproven. Severino coming off a wrist injury.

Guys, this is not a good lineup. Sorry. Additions and subtractions need to be made or its gonna be same ol same ol again. 

A legit speedy, fairly high OBP leadoff hitter or another high end bat (bellinger) is still needed. 

Forgot Volpe. I will wager he will make a big jump in his 2nd year.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, section314 said:

Forgot Volpe. I will wager he will make a big jump in his 2nd year.

Better hope so. Another question mark though.

How you pass on a Trea Turner in free agency is beyond me. Could have put Volpe at 2nd or 3rd if he pans out. 

On 12/16/2023 at 2:17 PM, Barton said:

Lets pick it apart:

Soto was a very good move but yeah I generally agree this lineup still has problems.  DJ and Stanton are both beyond done.  Ditto for Rizzo.  Judge I don’t think will ever play 140+ games in a season ever again

Volpe on the bright side is a future 30/30 guy

4 hours ago, Barton said:

Seems unlikely the Yankees will sign Gleyber Torres to a long term deal. Might want to trade him asap. 

Cashman’s MO recently has been wait until last second when player hits the open market and he has zero leverage then overpay like crazy.  I fully expect Gleyber to get a $300+ million extension next winter only to turn into a giant fat slob who plays 80-100 games a year and bats .200

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Barton said:

Seems unlikely the Yankees will sign Gleyber Torres to a long term deal. Might want to trade him asap. 

Just let him leave in FA, collect the draft pic.

You have kids who will be ready in another year.   No way I give Gleyber 25 million a year for 6-8 years.

Throwing a big contract at Jordan Montgomery would be risky. He's never been that great. Yea he can pitch but overall he's just not that good.

Corbin Burnes would be a really good target. They will have to trade. Odds are Cashman doesnt have the creativity to make it happen. We shall see.

3 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Cashman whiffed on trying to sign Yamamoto and he traded away King so now to fix the starting rotation he’s going to sign more guys for the bullpen

next summer is gonna be rough 

I was so high on King as a starter. Having Soto is great, but having the left field position be mistreated the way Cashman did in years past, that is just terrible.

• Upvote 1

On 12/24/2023 at 9:54 AM, Barton said:

Throwing a big contract at Jordan Montgomery would be risky. He's never been that great. Yea he can pitch but overall he's just not that good.

Corbin Burnes would be a really good target. They will have to trade. Odds are Cashman doesnt have the creativity to make it happen. We shall see.

I like Jordan but damn I hope he doesn't get paid big money by the Yankees. He is a # 4, can eat up some innings. I know he pitched well in the postseason but if you want to win a championship you shouldn't be paying him a huge deal.

• Upvote 1