2024 Yankees Off-Season Thread

Barton

Yankees passed on acquiring Burnes because they didnt want to give up Spencer Jones.

Jones is a flawed prospect. Ya his tools are ridiculous and he might be a superstar but its a longshot.

But its not even about him..... Here is the issue....

This franchise shows no immediate urgency to win. Hell before this current offseason, they did NOTHING the previous 3 offseasons. NOTHING. 

They went from acquiring Cole in 2019 December to acquiring Soto in 2023. 4 years inbetween getting another superstar.

That is ####. 

On 2/10/2024 at 2:06 PM, Barton said:

Yankees passed on acquiring Burnes because they didnt want to give up Spencer Jones.

Jones is a flawed prospect. Ya his tools are ridiculous and he might be a superstar but its a longshot.

But its not even about him..... Here is the issue....

This franchise shows no immediate urgency to win. Hell before this current offseason, they did NOTHING the previous 3 offseasons. NOTHING. 

They went from acquiring Cole in 2019 December to acquiring Soto in 2023. 4 years inbetween getting another superstar.

That is ####. 

I’m all about building from within the minor league that’s how we got the Jeter/Rivera dynasty and that’s why we have had any success at all last 6-7 years

15 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

I’m all about building from within the minor league that’s how we got the Jeter/Rivera dynasty and that’s why we have had any success at all last 6-7 years

Their Minor league system is always overrated though. They are one of the worst teams at drafting in the league over the last 20 years. Horrible results. 

On 2/15/2024 at 1:47 AM, Barton said:

Their Minor league system is always overrated though. They are one of the worst teams at drafting in the league over the last 20 years. Horrible results. 

What about Aaron Judge?  Now I’ll give you that Stick is no longer around making the picks but Cashman is becoming the mlb version of Isiah Thomas going after overpriced has beens

Things seem to be heating up with Snell. Word is the Yankees offered him a new deal that could be more than 35 mil a year. Adding him would be an excellent move. Cole and Snell would be an excellent top of the rotation.

• Upvote 2

Yanks have apparently made an offer to Snell?

Free-agent left-hander Blake Snell, the National League Cy Young winner in 2023 with the San Diego Padres, has an official offer on the table from the New York Yankees, according to a source. However, the Los Angeles Angels and San Francisco Giants remain possibilities for Snell as well. It's a pretty big surprise that Snell remains on the open market with pitchers and catchers having already reported to spring training last week. The 31-year-old southpaw has now won a Cy Young in the NL and AL in his career and had a league-best 2.25 ERA last season despite a league-worst 13.3 percent walk rate. His high walk rate could be one of the biggest reasons interested teams aren't willing to pay Snell's high asking price on a new contract. 

On 2/19/2024 at 10:08 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Yanks have apparently made an offer to Snell?

Free-agent left-hander Blake Snell, the National League Cy Young winner in 2023 with the San Diego Padres, has an official offer on the table from the New York Yankees, according to a source. However, the Los Angeles Angels and San Francisco Giants remain possibilities for Snell as well. It's a pretty big surprise that Snell remains on the open market with pitchers and catchers having already reported to spring training last week. The 31-year-old southpaw has now won a Cy Young in the NL and AL in his career and had a league-best 2.25 ERA last season despite a league-worst 13.3 percent walk rate. His high walk rate could be one of the biggest reasons interested teams aren't willing to pay Snell's high asking price on a new contract. 

Definitely need to get Snell. Mostly because that’s probably the only way we avoid cashman giving Cole an insane 5 year extension next offseason 

Yankees have had Volpe retool his swing this past offseason, to make it "flatter" so he hits for a higher BA and strikes out less.

But for the previous 3+ years they had him add lift to his swing.

This is why this franchise doesnt develop hitters. 

• Upvote 1

Hal pinching his daddies pennies and doesn’t want to pay Snell due to the luxury tax penalty. This is why you get booed when you show your face at the stadium. Didn’t want to match the dodgers bid for Yamamoto etc. I’m not buying this franchise has a real sense of urgency to win. 15 years and counting. 

• Upvote 1

Hal pinching his daddies pennies and doesn’t want to pay Snell due to the luxury tax penalty. This is why you get booed when you show your face at the stadium. Didn’t want to match the dodgers bid for Yamamoto etc. I’m not buying this franchise has a real sense of urgency to win. 15 years and counting. 
Their payroll is over $300 million. Not only would the Snell contract be taxed at 110%, they would also lose two draft picks and $1,000,000 from their international signing pool. I can see why they are hesitant.
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, bicketybam said:
47 minutes ago, Barton said:

Their payroll is over $300 million. Not only would the Snell contract be taxed at 110%, they would also lose two draft picks and $1,000,000 from their international signing pool. I can see why they are hesitant.

Draft picks and international dollars lol. Yankees suck in both of those areas and this is a win now team. Also, they should have shedded payroll by dumping Stanton/trading gleyber. This current roster is going nowhere. Soto hitting 2nd? Lol. 

2 minutes ago, Barton said:

Draft picks and international dollars lol. Yankees suck in both of those areas and this is a win now team. Also, they should have shedded payroll by dumping Stanton/trading gleyber. This current roster is going nowhere. Soto hitting 2nd? Lol. 

I love Soto in the 2 hole. Will probably get him one more AB per game, and they won’t pitch around him to get to Judge. Remember, Joe Morgan hit 2nd for the Big Red Machine.😎

• Upvote 1

I didn't realize the Yankees could just designate Stanton for assignment and be free of his salary. What's Cashman waiting for?

I love Soto in the 2 hole. Will probably get him one more AB per game, and they won’t pitch around him to get to Judge. Remember, Joe Morgan hit 2nd for the Big Red Machine.
Totally agree. Not sure what the other guy is complaining about. Soto is a high on base percentage guy who doesn't strike out a ton. I have no issue with him batting 2nd.

Soto is 1 of the great rbi hitters in the league. You don’t bat him 2nd, unless you have one of the best lead off hitters in baseball, which the Yankees do not have. He’s gonna have a lot of ABs in the 1st inning with nobody on base, unless DJ finds the mountain of youth. 

23 minutes ago, Barton said:

Soto is 1 of the great rbi hitters in the league. You don’t bat him 2nd, unless you have one of the best lead off hitters in baseball, which the Yankees do not have. He’s gonna have a lot of ABs in the 1st inning with nobody on base, unless DJ finds the mountain of youth. 

That's the 1st inning.  There will still be another 3 or 4 at bats per game.  Isn't that one of the metrics things?  Get your best hitters more at bats?  I mean, I am more a caveman than most, but even I get that.

Judge drove in 131 runs hitting behind a slew of bad leadoff hitters. Soto will be fine.
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

That's the 1st inning.  There will still be another 3 or 4 at bats per game.  Isn't that one of the metrics things?  Get your best hitters more at bats?  I mean, I am more a caveman than most, but even I get that.

Fair point but I still like my top rbi guy batting 3rd. Table setters bat 1 and 2. I’m also not too sure the Yankees bottom 3rd of the lineup is any good. 

50 minutes ago, bicketybam said:
2 hours ago, Barton said:

Judge drove in 131 runs hitting behind a slew of bad leadoff hitters. Soto will be fine.

Bro he hit 60 home runs that year lol. 

17 hours ago, Barton said:

Soto will also now have the best protection he has ever had, and will get more pitches to hit than he ever has.

19 hours ago, bicketybam said:
20 hours ago, Barton said:

exactly.

35 million this year will cost them almost 80 million in real money, which is a lot to spend on a guy who has thrown 180 innings twice in his career.

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, chirorob said:

exactly.

35 million this year will cost them almost 80 million in real money, which is a lot to spend on a guy who has thrown 180 innings twice in his career.

Hal has plenty of money. He’ll be ok. 

2 hours ago, bicketybam said:
3 hours ago, Barton said:
Hal has plenty of money. He’ll be ok. 

Are you his accountant?

His dad knew that if he spends more, he will make more money, because the team will win. Hal has never won as an owner yet partly because he refuses to go the extra mile financially. Why didn’t he match the dodgers and Mets bid? So the yanks bid 300 and said no to 325. Why bid 300 if you can’t cough up the extra 25? That shows you he’s not serious. Btw the tax hit on signing snell is an extra 30 mill. Hal is a billionaire. Stop making excuses. He doesn’t have a strong sense of urgency to win. Why is Stanton even on the roster? Because Hal won’t eat the $$ to get rid of him. Now Judge has to play centerfield. Idiocy. 

His dad knew that if he spends more, he will make more money, because the team will win. Hal has never won as an owner yet partly because he refuses to go the extra mile financially. Why didn’t he match the dodgers and Mets bid? So the yanks bid 300 and said no to 325. Why bid 300 if you can’t cough up the extra 25? That shows you he’s not serious. Btw the tax hit on signing snell is an extra 30 mill. Hal is a billionaire. Stop making excuses. He doesn’t have a strong sense of urgency to win. Why is Stanton even on the roster? Because Hal won’t eat the $$ to get rid of him. Now Judge has to play centerfield. Idiocy. 
No excuses from me. I've seen them win 7 championships. I'm not getting worked up over them not spending a ridiculous amount of money for a 31 years old pitcher. For years I watched George throw around money like it was confetti and it got him dick.
  • Upvote 1

The Yankees rotation is currently above average at best. It is not an elite rotation. 
Like Texas last year? Was theirs elite? Their team era was 4.28.

P.S. The Diamondbacks were even worse.