2024 Yankees Off-Season Thread

Barton

13 hours ago, maury77 said:

Cashman needs to give strong consideration to trading Gleyber for a top end starting pitcher. Yankees have some depth in the infield and can survive a trade of Gleyber. 

Totally agree.  Way better option than Cashman sitting around and waiting for gleyber to hit the open market and then overpaying like crazy to resign him

Jays just signed IKF to 2 years $15 mil.  Cashman could have kept IKF at a similar or even cheaper contract made him 2B and traded Gleyber but he’s in full Isiah-mode now

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, maury77 said:

Cashman needs to give strong consideration to trading Gleyber for a top end starting pitcher. Yankees have some depth in the infield and can survive a trade of Gleyber. 

Yes, he should. But Cashman has almost no creativity. 

Trade Gleyber for assets. Use those newly acquired assets + current assets = get a top flight starting pitcher. Start Peraza or Durbin at 2b or get another 2nd baseman. 

They can also consider trading Verdugo, who will be a FA in 12 months. 

This team still needs a massive overhaul. Massive. 

• Upvote 2

On 12/30/2023 at 2:09 PM, Barton said:

Trade Gleyber for assets. Use those newly acquired assets + current assets = get a top flight starting pitcher. Start Peraza or Durbin at 2b or get another 2nd baseman. 

Cashman can’t execute an overhaul because he was the architect of the pile-up in the first place.  He owns all these lousy contracts - DJ, Stanton, Rizzo and now Rodon.  Rodon is going to make you guys miss AJ Burnett

23 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Cashman can’t execute an overhaul because he was the architect of the pile-up in the first place.  He owns all these lousy contracts - DJ, Stanton, Rizzo and now Rodon.  Rodon is going to make you guys miss AJ Burnett

Yup. He would be admitting his garbage roster building the last 10 years if he did a massive overhaul right now.

Stanton is coming back next year? Really? The guy misses 100 games a year and he's hit .210 the last 2 years. He has NO BUSINESS being on the team in 2024. None. Steve Cohen would eat the money and cut/trade him w/o thinking twice. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Barton said:

Yup. He would be admitting his garbage roster building the last 10 years if he did a massive overhaul right now.

Stanton is coming back next year? Really? The guy misses 100 games a year and he's hit .210 the last 2 years. He has NO BUSINESS being on the team in 2024. None. Steve Cohen would eat the money and cut/trade him w/o thinking twice. 

I would just bench Stanton permanently the rest of his contract.  Nobody wants Stanton and his asinine contract and Judge needs to be the full-time DH or we might not win 80 games next season 

Bench DJ too.  He isn’t cooked he’s a Goddamned hockey puck at this point

23 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

AJ at least had a decent 1st year and really helped win a World Series when they went to a short playoff rotation 

• Upvote 2

On 12/30/2023 at 8:09 AM, Barton said:

Season 1 Window Closing GIF by Law & OrderThe Judge window is closing quickly!

Latest rumor is the Yankees are pursuing Marcus Stroman. As a middle of the rotation option, I think I'm ok with it. 

It’s a done deal. I’m fine with it but not as “the” guy.
  • Upvote 3

Stroman can be a #3 or 4. 

But if this is the Yankees big starting rotation acquisition this offseason then its going to be another losing season.

And reports are saying they lowballed Blake Snell. He asked for more/denied their offer and they pivoted back to Stroman.

This franchise, man. Hal offers 300 mill for Yamamoto but wouldnt increase it to 325 to match the Dodgers/Mets? Why is that?

He's not willing to spend the extra dollars. 

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Barton said:

But if this is the Yankees big starting rotation acquisition this offseason then its going to be another losing season.

And reports are saying they lowballed Blake Snell. He asked for more/denied their offer and they pivoted back to Stroman.

This franchise, man. Hal offers 300 mill for Yamamoto but wouldnt increase it to 325 to match the Dodgers/Mets? Why is that?

By all accounts, the Yanks offered more early money and an earlier opt out for Yamamoto.  He wanted LA.

I'd rather a 2 year deal for Stroman than if Snell is wanting a 6 or 8 year deal.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Barton said:

Agree. Stroman is a good 4 or a decent 3. We really need Rodon to get his S together.

Thank God Severino is finally gone

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, chirorob said:

By all accounts, the Yanks offered more early money and an earlier opt out for Yamamoto.  He wanted LA.

I'd rather a 2 year deal for Stroman than if Snell is wanting a 6 or 8 year deal.

Yankees can’t keep settling for the B class of free agents. They haven’t signed an A type since Cole 4 years ago. It’s bullspit. 

On 1/12/2024 at 8:26 PM, Barton said:

Yankees can’t keep settling for the B class of free agents. They haven’t signed an A type since Cole 4 years ago. It’s bullspit. 

They need a decent innings eater which stroman is.  Our rotation next season depends very heavily on Rodon.  If Rodon can’t get his act together it’s gonna be a long summer 

• Upvote 1

On 1/14/2024 at 9:59 AM, Rich Thornburgh said:

They need a decent innings eater which stroman is.  Our rotation next season depends very heavily on Rodon.  If Rodon can’t get his act together it’s gonna be a long summer 

I am still hoping for one more huge addition to the rotation. F it Hal. Do it and let's start a new dynasty.

Could you imagine Rodon being the # 3 guy, Stroman being the # 4 and Nestor the # 5? That would be great.

I still want another closer though. But with that rotation they would be eating up innings, especially if Rodon rebounds.

I like the Stroman deal. He wants to be here. Has an attitude and brings swagger.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

I am still hoping for one more huge addition to the rotation. F it Hal. Do it and let's start a new dynasty.

Could you imagine Rodon being the # 3 guy, Stroman being the # 4 and Nestor the # 5? That would be great.

I still want another closer though. But with that rotation they would be eating up innings, especially if Rodon rebounds.

I like the Stroman deal. He wants to be here. Has an attitude and brings swagger.

You’re right we need a closer.  Clay is better as an 8th inning guy

On 1/14/2024 at 9:59 AM, Rich Thornburgh said:

Strohman, an innings eater? Not in the recent seasons. 

• 2 weeks later...

Reports from coaches and players say Soto is likely batting 2nd.

Man, this team is dumb. He's 1 of the great RBI hitters in the game. You dont bat him 2nd. Jesus. 

Surprised tho? Same team that had Donaldson bat 4th/5 for 2 years. 

On 1/28/2024 at 7:16 AM, Barton said:

Reports from coaches and players say Soto is likely batting 2nd.

Man, this team is dumb. He's 1 of the great RBI hitters in the game. You dont bat him 2nd. Jesus. 

Surprised tho? Same team that had Donaldson bat 4th/5 for 2 years. 

They've had Judge hitting 2 for years.

DJ 1, Soto 2, Judge 3, Rizzo 4, Gleyber 5,

Soto will walk a little less with Judge hitting behind him, giving him more pitches to hit.

20 hours ago, chirorob said:

They've had Judge hitting 2 for years.

DJ 1, Soto 2, Judge 3, Rizzo 4, Gleyber 5,

Soto will walk a little less with Judge hitting behind him, giving him more pitches to hit.

Of course they had Judge batting 2nd. They are morons. And DJ is not a lead off hitter type. He’s slow and his obp/batting avg numbers keep declining. He’s a 2 hole skill set, even if he was still in his prime. They should get a true lead off hitter in here. Last resort is Verdugo. Soto will be hitting with nobody on base too often, mark my words. This lineup will struggle offensively again unless Rizzo, Stanton and DJ invest in a Time Machine. This team is so poorly constructed it’s not even funny. Cash has no clue. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Barton said:

Of course they had Judge batting 2nd. They are morons. And DJ is not a lead off hitter type. He’s slow and his obp/batting avg numbers keep declining. He’s a 2 hole skill set, even if he was still in his prime. They should get a true lead off hitter in here. Last resort is Verdugo. Soto will be hitting with nobody on base too often, mark my words. This lineup will struggle offensively again unless Rizzo, Stanton and DJ invest in a Time Machine. This team is so poorly constructed it’s not even funny. Cash has no clue. 

Even lacking the speed I liked DJ as the leadoff guy when he was hitting .300+. Now I agree he's useless in that spot.

• Upvote 1

Orioles get Burnes for middling prospects. Meanwhile the Yankees refuses to give up their prospects who are usually overrated duds and won’t cough up the money for Snell, pissing away the primes of Cole and Judge. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Barton said:

Orioles get Burnes for middling prospects. Meanwhile the Yankees refuses to give up their prospects who are usually overrated duds and won’t cough up the money for Snell, pissing away the primes of Cole and Judge. 

Key to the deal for Orioles is they get Brewers competitive balance pick in the 2024 draft, #34. Picks were not their top guys but they have a deep system. Also, Burnes is a FA and has said he won’t sign an extension if traded. Wants to be a FA.

On 2/2/2024 at 7:18 AM, section314 said:

Key to the deal for Orioles is they get Brewers competitive balance pick in the 2024 draft, #34. Picks were not their top guys but they have a deep system. Also, Burnes is a FA and has said he won’t sign an extension if traded. Wants to be a FA.

Better hope the Yanks have another big move or 2 before the season because ths current roster is going nowhere. 

And unless the Yankees want to re-sign Gleyber long term, why the hell is he still on the team? 

• Upvote 2

Boone said Burnes on the orioles could be “a bit of a problem”. Seriously, get this moosh out of here. Microcosm of why this team never has any confidence. 
You are definitely the "Jets fan" of Yankees fans.
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, bicketybam said:
2 hours ago, Barton said:
Boone said Burnes on the orioles could be “a bit of a problem”. Seriously, get this moosh out of here. Microcosm of why this team never has any confidence. 

You are definitely the "Jets fan" of Yankees fans.

I dunno about that. I'm the realist. I see what I see and say it. Just like I said last March the Yankees might not make the playoffs with their current roster and their offense would be bad by Yankees standard - and they didnt make the playoffs and the offense essentially sucked. 

This franchise hasnt even been to a world series since freakin 2009. 

I dunno about that. I'm the realist. I see what I see and say it. Just like I said last March the Yankees might not make the playoffs with their current roster and their offense would be bad by Yankees standard - and they didnt make the playoffs and the offense essentially sucked. 
I've seen them win 7 championships, so it's hard for me to get too worked up. They are almost always competitive. Out of all the sports teams that I follow they have by far given me the most enjoyment.

3 hours ago, bicketybam said:
4 hours ago, Barton said:

I've seen them win 7 championships, so it's hard for me to get too worked up. They are almost always competitive. Out of all the sports teams that I follow they have by far given me the most enjoyment.

None of that means jack to a certain extent. This team is run by morons. 

• Sympathy 1

33 minutes ago, bicketybam said:
1 hour ago, Barton said:
None of that means jack to a certain extent. This team is run by morons. 

You have my sympathies.

Thanks. 1 World Series appearance in the last 21 years.