Someone offer some hope on the 2024 OL

Maynard13

I assumed Becton would be back on a short deal/tag but there is A LOT of noise he's a goner from credible media.

Frankly, I'd try to work out a short term deal with him, a 1 year prove it. His performance this year hasn't been great but I'm trying not to be too harsh as he's still not 100%. He may be motivated to take a short deal to put better play on tape for the following year. We don't have tons of options which is the reason I'd try to resign Becton. 

Don't expect JD to sign any credible oline, he's wiffed on them all. Guy refuses to spend $1 more than what he thinks the players "value" is. That's exactly how we end up with terrible Free Agent classes like 2023.

2 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

I assumed Becton would be back on a short deal/tag but there is A LOT of noise he's a goner from credible media.

Frankly, I'd try to work out a short term deal with him, a 1 year prove it. His performance this year hasn't been great but I'm trying not to be too harsh as he's still not 100%. He may be motivated to take a short deal to put better play on tape for the following year. We don't have tons of options which is the reason I'd try to resign Becton. 

Don't expect JD to sign any credible oline, he's wiffed on them all. Guy refuses to spend $1 more than what he thinks the players "value" is. That's exactly how we end up with terrible Free Agent classes like 2023.

We can franchise tag him and I think that they will, which will make for a decent transition for the (assumed) drafted successor.

On 12/14/2023 at 12:41 AM, NYJCAP2 said:

If you’re going to roast the guy, pick a play without incidental tripping.

Hell, that might be a TD without the trip. Everyone hit their reach blocks.

Alternatively, I'll post what I want.

If you want to pick one of the other several dozen plays in which falls on his face, go right ahead.

20 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

We can franchise tag him and I think that they will, which will make for a decent transition for the (assumed) drafted successor.

He’s really better suited for the right side, so depending on where they’re picking it could be harder to convince him to take the right side permanently if they’re, say, 6th int he draft and seem destined to get one of those left tackles. 

On 12/13/2023 at 11:19 AM, Ecuadorian Jet said:

You fix it by trading down this year. 

image.thumb.png.25508ec6fa65151ab907429046ff4407.png

I think you are getting one starter on the O-line from this group (Latham). And 3 depth/developmental guys. So for 2024 this is not really fixing much of anything unless you also bring in a top tier OT in FA or bring back Becton to play LT. And while its good to bring in developmental talent on the o-line, seems like you are going overboard because this team has other needs. We don't need to draft x4 o-linemen with only one expected to play next season. And no, I don't think Morgan can step in and start right away in the NFL. I'm not sure Latham can either. But probably at RT he can hold his own as a rookie.   

On 12/13/2023 at 11:19 AM, Ecuadorian Jet said:

You fix it by trading down this year. 

image.thumb.png.25508ec6fa65151ab907429046ff4407.png

As someone who (sadly) watches a lot of BC football, if Mahogany is available after the 3rd round he is someone you HAVE to jump on.   He was projected as a second round pick and tore his ACL in spring practice before the 2022 season.  He played ok this year, but players do tend to struggle their first year off an injury like that.  Outstanding character guy who played in a pro-style offense - would be a great value as a mid round guy.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Some non-Becton FA starters from the 2020 draft class are set to become UFAs, if they aren't extended before others are allowed to make offers:

• Jonah Williams (never lived up to his #11 draft slot, not unlike Becton)
  • Tyron Smith (I think Dallas extends him, but if they don't it's just because he hasn't been reliably healthy)
  • Robert Hunt (Miami surely extends this recent upper-2nd rounder, and we won't get to see him against a good Jets DL as he's still got a bad hammy & hasn't practiced. Fun fact: first got his driver's license at age 24.)
  • Trent Brown (when does that weight catch up to him & his knees?)
  • Onwenu (bookend opposite T.Brown)
  • Dotson (all I remember is that Jets game when he'd have had his crap pushed in by JJII if not for the refs letting him hold to protect St. Mahomes)
  • John Simpson (don't know much about him, other than PFF lists him as surrendering 0 sacks, but 8 penalties)
  • Biadasz (don't see Dallas letting him go, though; centers are cheap to keep)
  • Damien Lewis (Billions got stupid after a great start, and Homeland was an eyeroll even in season 1, so I haven't watched him the past few years, but he's not untalented)
  • Vaitai (a guy doesn't get - and take - a pay cut from $9MM to $3MM in his 20s for playing great, has a bad back now)
  • Fant (as I've said plenty, no way he sits in a room with Joe Douglas unless he's desperate)
  • Also maybe Driscoll (hasn't been starting, as he's been overshadowed by better starters on an elite OL, but has started some in Philadelphia when needed)

I'd be lying if I said I'd spent any amount of time really focusing on any of them individually, at least outside of Jets games.

There'll be others who maybe are on the trade block or outright released, like plenty expect Bhaktiari to be cut after missing another season.  

Anyway it's not going to be the starting line from this year's all-pro list who's expected to reliably start at that level for at least the next 2-3 seasons.

They may need to draft a tackle, lol.

My guess is that they will draft (or target - who knows what our draft pick will end up being or who will end up being there when we draft) an OT and go hard after Jonah Williams. 

Williams 'never lived up to his #11 draft slot' but he has had a fantastic turnaround this season, unlike Becton, who started off his career with great promise and has looked less and less promising throughout his career as a Jet, with a healthy but very up and down season this year. 

Williams is playing great football. I think he gave up 7 sacks this year? 2 penalties? I dunno, according to PFF. That's tied for 6th. Bengals fans on their forum say he has done a complete 180 since his struggles the year before. Now, was this an outlier? Will he go back to his old ways once he signs a new deal? Who knows. But he is one of the top OT Free Agents and beggars can't be choosers. The Jets biggest need (besides QB2) is OT and they need to go after him. They will have two holes at OT going into a must win season with a HOF caliber 40yr old QB coming off injury. You overpay for Williams and hope you can get a blue chip OT prospect in the draft. If Fashanu and Alt are out of reach, Fuaga and Latham are great alternatives. Especially Fuaga who seems to be a versatile enough to move to G if nec. 

JMHO.  

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

He’s really better suited for the right side, so depending on where they’re picking it could be harder to convince him to take the right side permanently if they’re, say, 6th int he draft and seem destined to get one of those left tackles. 

I prefer to get rid of him all together but I doubt that this front office will do that, and will try squeezing another year out.

I'd sign another LT in free agency and draft one in the first.

11 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I prefer to get rid of him all together but I doubt that this front office will do that, and will try squeezing another year out.

I'd sign another LT in free agency and draft one in the first.

i agree, it would be cleaner to get rid of him but they may not get a better replacement.  avt can play RT but is unreliable.  warren seems like a backup swing tackle.  it seems increasingly likely they use that first rounder on a tackle but they'll know their draft position before FA starts.  if they win a few more games and pick 16th it may change how they approach FA with the OL vs if they lose out and pick 6th.

2 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

That's about $18.4 million for a tackle that has barely been able to stay on the field for 4 years.  If he's looking for that kind of payday you let him walk.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

My guess is that they will draft (or target - who knows what our draft pick will end up being or who will end up being there when we draft) an OT and go hard after Jonah Williams. 

Williams 'never lived up to his #11 draft slot' but he has had a fantastic turnaround this season, unlike Becton, who started off his career with great promise and has looked less and less promising throughout his career as a Jet, with a healthy but very up and down season this year. 

Williams is playing great football. I think he gave up 7 sacks this year? 2 penalties? I dunno, according to PFF. That's tied for 6th. Bengals fans on their forum say he has done a complete 180 since his struggles the year before. Now, was this an outlier? Will he go back to his old ways once he signs a new deal? Who knows. But he is one of the top OT Free Agents and beggars can't be choosers. The Jets biggest need (besides QB2) is OT and they need to go after him. They will have two holes at OT going into a must win season with a HOF caliber 40yr old QB coming off injury. You overpay for Williams and hope you can get a blue chip OT prospect in the draft. If Fashanu and Alt are out of reach, Fuaga and Latham are great alternatives. Especially Fuaga who seems to be a versatile enough to move to G if nec. 

JMHO.  

Yeah maybe.

I think JW’s 6th rank means 6th worst (6th most sacks surrendered), not 6th best.

Also consider the favorable calls he gets blocking for Burrow, and also that Burrow was leading the league in time to throw at like 2.2 seconds (yet again, and that’s what JW will be used to). That point alone would make even Becton and his 9 sacks compare favorably, given how much longer Wilson holds the ball and how much easier it is to cover the Jets’ far lesser receiving targets as a group.

So I hope he’s not just a name if they do go that route, because once you add the above context his sack #s are pretty bad. 

• Upvote 1