Albert Breer: Woody Johnson stepped in on the first round pick (not Zach Wilson)

On 12/29/2023 at 12:37 PM, varjet said:

This makes complete sense, and I completely believe it.

I don't know whether I believe the JetBlue angle, but I believe that Woody would want a new, fresh faced, blonde, dimpled QB on a new rookie contract so he did not have to pay Darnold the 5th year option.  

I also believe that Woody has enjoyed having new QBs who he can paste on a magazine cover.  

I also don't think its a cooincidence that Sanchez, Darnold and Wilson all started game 1 their rookie years.  I also don't think its a coincidence that they all failed.  

One piece of advice for Woody: "Don't quit your daytime job...

Woody.jpg.thumb.png.2974010e7efe97f782570a4250cf37e1.png

keep pimping!"

22 hours ago, derp said:

Regarding the Niners and Dolphins, my point wasn’t a philosophical one regarding whether the goals of the franchise when it comes to team building are prudent. It’s just that if you list what makes each offense go the QB isn’t in the top two - probably three - for the Dolphins and isn’t in the top four at best for the Niners.

And you can rag on those offenses, they’re flawed for sure, but they’re 1 and 2 in yards and 1 and 4 in scoring this year. We’d kill to have either offense here.

I guess as a different version of what I’m trining to get at, and I honestly don’t know what the answer will be. Do you think the Jets are better if you give them the entire 49ers offense - including Shanahan and the coaching staff - but not Purdy and they keep their quarterbacks, or with the Niners QB room but everything else is the same as the Jets have now? Same question for the Dolphins inserting the appropriate names.

Not to be obtuse, but I’m struggling with the question because of course I’d rather hav Shanahan or McDaniel even without any of the other considerations. What they do on offense is incredible, obviously, and masks what are really underwhelming OL groups, which they largely do by getting the ball out quickly. Trent Williams is a first ballot guy, but I legitimately couldn’t name another Niners OL without googling it. I know some of the Dolphins OL because last year our DL kicked the sh*t out of guys like Austin Jackson and Liam Eichenberg, etc. To your larger point, though, the Dolphins are DOA in the playoffs because of Tua. The Niners are awesome, but if CMC’s calf is an issue, they’re also DOA because of Purdy. 

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Not to be obtuse, but I’m struggling with the question because of course I’d rather hav Shanahan or McDaniel even without any of the other considerations. What they do on offense is incredible, obviously, and masks what are really underwhelming OL groups, which they largely do by getting the ball out quickly. Trent Williams is a first ballot guy, but I legitimately couldn’t name another Niners OL without googling it. I know some of the Dolphins OL because last year our DL kicked the sh*t out of guys like Austin Jackson and Liam Eichenberg, etc. To your larger point, though, the Dolphins are DOA in the playoffs because of Tua. The Niners are awesome, but if CMC’s calf is an issue, they’re also DOA because of Purdy. 

Awful game vs BAL notwithstanding, Purdy is legit IMO.

I agree that Tua's productivity is more of a testament to McDaniel, Tyreek, and Waddle than anything else though.

You can see what a difference having a real HC makes when you look at McDaniel and then look at the bald, sloganeering chump on the NYJ sideline.

8 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Awful game vs BAL notwithstanding, Purdy is legit IMO.

I agree that Tua's productivity is more of a testament to McDaniel, Tyreek, and Waddle than anything else though.

You can see what a difference having a real HC makes when you look at McDaniel and then look at the bald, sloganeering chump on the NYJ sideline.

McDaniel is a lot of fun, but him and Saleh are both winning sh*t if they don’t get quarterbacks. 

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah I think your last two sentences kind of get to my larger point. With the right players in place - and I totally agree Trent Williams is elite but the other OL players on both teams aren’t much to write home about - the quarterback isn’t really the one moving the needle in this scheme.

In the case of both SF and Miami beyond the playcaller it’s elite skill talent, not the quarterback, and the Jets just aren’t there skill wise. The Niners had the OL in place and kind of built up the skill group and the Fish just started with the skill players.

But that’s why I kind of struggle to say that we need the quarterback to evaluate the performance of the GM when he’s put so much into other spots and the offense can be not just average but regular season elite - (understanding the limitations but we’re comparing it to an offense that’s peaked at like 28th in scoring the last four or five years) with pretty mid quarterback play.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, derp said:

Yeah I think your last two sentences kind of get to my larger point. With the right players in place - and I totally agree Trent Williams is elite but the other OL players on both teams aren’t much to write home about - the quarterback isn’t really the one moving the needle in this scheme.

In the case of both SF and Miami beyond the playcaller it’s elite skill talent, not the quarterback, and the Jets just aren’t there skill wise. The Niners had the OL in place and kind of built up the skill group and the Fish just started with the skill players.

But that’s why I kind of struggle to say that we need the quarterback to evaluate the performance of the GM when he’s put so much into other spots and the offense can be not just average but regular season elite - (understanding the limitations but we’re comparing it to an offense that’s peaked at like 28th in scoring the last four or five years) with pretty mid quarterback play.

I think we have 80% of the information we need to confirm that Douglas sucks, and I wouldn’t blink if he got fired next week at this time. I hate that he gave us an unchallenged Zach Wilson for two-plus years and decided the solve to that problem was to give extreme carte blanche to the narcissistic weirdo that is Aaron Rodgers into the foreseeable future. His abominable record speaks for itself. That said, I feel like Zach Wilson was so destructive that it made everything around him worse—by alot—and I understand letting it play out, if only to avoid the embarrassment of watching Woody try to hire a GM this offseason given all the impediments that GM would inherit. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think we have 80% of the information we need to confirm that Douglas sucks, and I wouldn’t blink if he got fired next week at this time. I hate that he gave us an unchallenged Zach Wilson for two-plus years and decided the solve to that problem was to give extreme carte blanche to the narcissistic weirdo that is Aaron Rodgers into the foreseeable future. His abominable record speaks for itself. That said, I feel like Zach Wilson was so destructive that it made everything around him worse—by alot—and I understand letting it play out, if only to avoid the embarrassment of watching Woody try to hire a GM this offseason given all the impediments that GM would inherit. 

The big question to me is how much more damage can Douglas do/will Douglas be allowed to do when everyone at this point must know that he knows that his job is at stake pending how the team does in 2024. 

To me it’s gross mismanagement to have someone in the GM chair backed into a corner job security wise because that job has to be about balancing the short and long term, his priorities just have to be very skewed towards the short term, and we’ve already seen propensities to make increasingly reckless decisions when it’s obvious that plan A didn’t work out (which it often hasn’t).

7 hours ago, derp said:

The big question to me is how much more damage can Douglas do/will Douglas be allowed to do when everyone at this point must know that he knows that his job is at stake pending how the team does in 2024. 

To me it’s gross mismanagement to have someone in the GM chair backed into a corner job security wise because that job has to be about balancing the short and long term, his priorities just have to be very skewed towards the short term, and we’ve already seen propensities to make increasingly reckless decisions when it’s obvious that plan A didn’t work out (which it often hasn’t).

Worst thing Douglas can do is bring back Zach as QB2, Lazard as WR2, and sign Bakhtiari to fix the Offensive line.

oh wait, that’s exactly what he’s going to do.