Who sits behind Rogers next season

SoJetsy

19 hours ago, football guy said:

Because you don’t go into the season expecting to lose your starting QB. And if JD/Rodgers got their way, they would argue that Zach performed just as you would expect a backup to perform given the circumstances, would have another year under his belt in the system, still growing as a player, etc. 

Money allocation is a real thing, and it’s very uncommon to roster expensive backups who are capable starting QBs behind expensive starters. Those players often sign with teams where there’s a chance at competing for a starting job or with teams who have cheap starting QBs. 

It’s likely moot point because I expect a mutual parting of the ways, but fans should be prepared to be underwhelmed whoever the backup winds up being… Brissett and Tannehill will have other options, so it wouldn’t shock me one bit if Rypein wound up the backup.

This is right.  Everyone and their mother knows this teams problems do not stem from Zach.  The line has been terrible the whole season and that got poor performance from uzomah, Lazard, and cook.  Considering how many people said no qb could perform behind that line it’s kind of amazing Zach got them to six wins.  And this in spite of saleh being such a lame head coach.

I think the only way Zach doesn’t stay two or even three is if he is actually refusing to go into games with this oline.  Of course there’s always the possibility that a team offers a good deal and Zach can be shipped.  No player should be considered safe coming off three seasons of futility.

10 hours ago, maury77 said:

How is this going to be a mutual parting of the ways? Zach has no bargaining power to demand a trade. If that was made public, his already in peril career might be over. 

What’s the point of keeping a player who doesn’t want to be here, especially one that’s a backup? It’s not to say that he wouldn’t but given the choice you’d think both he and Saleh would prefer to go their separate ways 

If the Jets trade for Fields, it will prove that JD's hand was forced by Woody to draft Wilson. This is normally a move that a GM never makes. It's an admission that they screwed up.

That said, I'd love it if it happened. Fields sits for a year behind Rodgers (he can be used in certain packages in the meantime), then takes over. An RPO system with him, Breece, and GW could be fun.

• Upvote 4

20 hours ago, Beerfish said:

No chance at all that Zach wilson will be on the team next year zero.

Brissett just eviscerated salehs precious defence so it will be him.   Maybe Tannehill but he might stay in Tennessee if he likes it there. 

Brissett probably has a real chance to be a QB1 somewhere.  Tampa gave Baker Mayfield a shot going into this year after he was the lowest rated QB in the NFL last season. 

No chance at all that Zach wilson will be on the team next year zero.

Agreed

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

This is right.  Everyone and their mother knows this teams problems do not stem from Zach.  The line has been terrible the whole season and that got poor performance from uzomah, Lazard, and cook.  Considering how many people said no qb could perform behind that line it’s kind of amazing Zach got them to six wins.  And this in spite of saleh being such a lame head coach.

I think the only way Zach doesn’t stay two or even three is if he is actually refusing to go into games with this oline.  Of course there’s always the possibility that a team offers a good deal and Zach can be shipped.  No player should be considered safe coming off three seasons of futility.

I agree with you that ZW was not the problem (it was the OL, WR and CS) but I still don't think there's any chance they bring him back next year. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I agree with you that ZW was not the problem (it was the OL, WR and CS) but I still don't think there's any chance they bring him back next year. 

Hard to say.  I think it kind of depends how he’s getting along with saleh.  I can see him giving saleh lots of grief over having to play behind that oline.  And I can see playing his “ I’m the boss” card and do what you’re told.  Saleh is hardly a ceo. He’s more of a pin head dictator.  Not that coaches shouldn’t have authority over players but there are ways to lead and ways to dictate.

13 hours ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

It’s an interesting rumor. JD and Saleh would get their wish of developing a talented young QB behind Aaron for a few years, basically re-doing the plan they had going into 2023. What makes Fields a good fit is his experience  working with Luke Getsky, who was Hackett’s QB coach/passing game coordinator in Green Bay. So it’s not like you’d be bringing someone in whose foreign to the scheme. 

I have my doubts because of the cost. I would think Chicago can get a 2nd round pick minimum, and given all our needs + lack of draft capital, Jets would have a difficult time swinging a trade. Then there’s Fields himself… my guess is Bears would do him a solid and let him have a say where he goes, and if there’s a team willing to trade for him to be starter (Atlanta?) will he prefer that route?

29 minutes ago, football guy said:

It’s an interesting rumor. JD and Saleh would get their wish of developing a talented young QB behind Aaron for a few years, basically re-doing the plan they had going into 2023. What makes Fields a good fit is his experience  working with Luke Getsky, who was Hackett’s QB coach/passing game coordinator in Green Bay. So it’s not like you’d be bringing someone in whose foreign to the scheme. 

I have my doubts because of the cost. I would think Chicago can get a 2nd round pick minimum, and given all our needs + lack of draft capital, Jets would have a difficult time swinging a trade. Then there’s Fields himself… my guess is Bears would do him a solid and let him have a say where he goes, and if there’s a team willing to trade for him to be starter (Atlanta?) will he prefer that route?

Tag and trade Bryce Huff. The Jets aren't likely going to sign him long term anyway.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Tag and trade Bryce Huff. The Jets aren't likely going to sign him long term anyway.

I won’t be surprised if they do, but the fact still remains that they need a lot of assets to rebuild the OL and will be adding a WR outside, with Davante Adams being the preferred option via trade.

52 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

I don’t who I feel more sorry for.  People who still take ZW seriously or people who still take Fields seriously 

I mean cmon dude, as a backup behind Rodgers at the right price?  That wouldn’t intrigue you even a little bit?  No one is suggesting a long-term commitment.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

You’re seriously trying to argue Bustin Fields is better than Trevor Lawrence.  You lost what little credibility you ever had

2 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

So this stat you are using as exhibit A for how great Justin Fields is he’s basically middle of the pack in the NFL which by definition is mediocre 

Where’s Trevor Lawrence on that list?  Just saying.  

• Haha 1

4900, 29 TDs, 700 rushing yards, 9 TDs in the last 18 games.   Best QB in the class, by far. 

You would literally give your entire ball sack for that type of production from your QB but I like you trolling me.  It’s fun making you look stupid on this topic.  
He's so good you think Chicago will unload him ?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

I just hate the idea of giving up compensation for a backup QB. Otherwise I’d like the move of Fields. 

It’s pick your poison at this stage.  If we want a quality backup we’re gonna have to pay up.  Gardner Minshew’s price-tag was $3.5M last year.  This year, if he isn’t re-signed, it’ll be triple that.  

• Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Was a serious question ...

I don’t owe you one when you’re saying Fields and Zach are in the same ballpark.  Lmao.  You’ll just dismiss it and revert back to your silly take as if you won the argument. 

But I’ll give you one anyways.  I’d say ~QB19.  Definitely behind guys like Stafford, Lawrence, Russell Wilson, Goff and Cousins.  Gotta put him behind Stroud, Mayfield and Jordan Love too for the time being.  But ahead of the likes of Carr, Geno, Sam Howell, Tannehill, and the rest of the pack. 

1 hour ago, football guy said:

The draft capital required is the biggest hurdle IMO. That being said, I wonder if Garrett Wilson (Fields's college teammate) is in the staff's ear asking for this. 

2 hours ago, JustInFudge said:

You hate TDs too? 

No, I like TDs. I'd be surprised if Fields managed to replicate his 2 good games again. Outside of those 2 he has sucked this season. I guess he also played well in terms of rushing in a few games too.

image.png.4e8cb65532fb5256b6e336e1e46d0c15.png

Not to mention he has never averaged 200 or more yards per game in any season of his career. You're asking for a slightly better version of Zach Wilson with an upside of being able to run pretty well. I sure hope you want better than that.

That's not even talking about injury. Fields has yet to complete a season.

And don't forget that the Bears will probably try to overprice him to the Jets, as well.

I don’t owe you one when you’re saying Fields and Zach are in the same ballpark.  Lmao.  You’ll just dismiss it and revert back to your silly take as if you won the argument. 
But I’ll give you one anyways.  I’d say ~QB19.  Definitely behind guys like Stafford, Lawrence, Russell Wilson, Goff and Cousins.  Gotta put him behind Stroud, Mayfield and Jordan Love too for the time being.  But ahead of the likes of Carr, Geno, Sam Howell, Tannehill, and the rest of the pack. 

Don't know why you'd say that about my response ... I have Fields close to where you have him, but basically even with Geno, and behind Tannehill. Point being I don't think he's the future of anything and id rather a Tannehill or Minshew as a backup.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

There are a lot of colorful words I'd like to use to describe people that think Zach and Fields are analagous to each other, but let's just say they have poor football analysis given that Zach has been benched 3x and is going to be shipped and the Bears are considering passing up a QB with the first pick overall for 2 consecutive years so they can stick with Fields. 

Fields still has some growth left in him and he is still producing. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, maury77 said:

The draft capital required is the biggest hurdle IMO. That being said, I wonder if Garrett Wilson (Fields's college teammate) is in the staff's ear asking for this. 

If trading for Fields is what gets Garrett Wilson on board with signing a 2nd contract here, then every member of JN should be supporting at least looking into this.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Hex said:

No, I like TDs. I'd be surprised if Fields managed to replicate his 2 good games again. Outside of those 2 he has sucked this season. I guess he also played well in terms of rushing in a few games too.

image.png.4e8cb65532fb5256b6e336e1e46d0c15.png

Not to mention he has never averaged 200 or more yards per game in any season of his career. You're asking for a slightly better version of Zach Wilson with an upside of being able to run pretty well. I sure hope you want better than that.

That's not even talking about injury. Fields has yet to complete a season.

And don't forget that the Bears will probably try to overprice him to the Jets, as well.

Kindly provide us with statistics that backup your assertion that Fields is "slightly" better than Zach. 

• Upvote 1