If the Jets don’t draft a quarterback how would you feel about Sam Howell?

Depending on the cost. I have Washington season tickets I go to 3 or 4 games a year down there. A 4th rd pick, I think you do it. He is better then Wilson. Could be a good bridge or back up Qb possibly future starter.

I would probably want a vet like Brissett first but he would be alot cheaper. I thought Howell played great against weaker teams with his best game being the Seattle game. When the schudule picked up he really struggled the last seven games of the year for him were terrible. Part of it was how bad Washington defense was.

I would think it would be an OK pick for backup Qb. He would not be he worst nd would not be the best. Really comes down to how you want to spend cap money. I think he makes less the one milliona year.

You would have another 5 million for other positions. We have a much better defense then Washington he would not have to throw as much. I think if Washington will take a 4th give it a shot. Brissett is great but he was making I think 10 million last year. We have other holes on the team and the hope is Rogers plays whole year.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Weird fit because he is a gunslinger who turns it over a lot (weird for for a team with a great defense) but I don’t hate it.

At least he’s not Zach Wilson. He has balls and tries to push it downfield.

He does but part of it is Washington was always playing from behind. There defense was terrible. It is alittle bit difficult to get a fair read on him.

He played good against the bad teams and terrible against top teams. I will say he is alot better then Wilson.

• Upvote 1

On 1/8/2024 at 1:45 PM, peekskill68 said:

Quite honestly there are a lot of good back up QB options that are UFA's next year:  Brissett, Taylor, Winston, Bridgewater, Minshew to name a few.  There's no reason why JD can't find someone at a reasonable number to man the fort if Rodgers goes down.

^this.  No way should Jets give any draft pick for Sam Howell.  He's NOT the future. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jets and Redskins said:

Depending on the cost. I have Washington season tickets I go to 3 or 4 games a year down there. A 4th rd pick, I think you do it. He is better then Wilson. Could be a good bridge or back up Qb possibly future starter.

I would probably want a vet like Brissett first but he would be alot cheaper. I thought Howell played great against weaker teams with his best game being the Seattle game. When the schudule picked up he really struggled the last seven games of the year for him were terrible. Part of it was how bad Washington defense was.

I would think it would be an OK pick for backup Qb. He would not be he worst nd would not be the best. Really comes down to how you want to spend cap money. I think he makes less the one milliona year.

You would have another 5 million for other positions. We have a much better defense then Washington he would not have to throw as much. I think if Washington will take a 4th give it a shot. Brissett is great but he was making I think 10 million last year. We have other holes on the team and the hope is Rogers plays whole year.

Howell seems like a reasonably talented kid stuck in a bad situation.   Not sure the NYJ are any better and certainly there’s no coaches on the team I trust to develop Howell behind AR.  Waste of a trade capital.  

42 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

Howell seems like a reasonably talented kid stuck in a bad situation.   Not sure the NYJ are any better and certainly there’s no coaches on the team I trust to develop Howell behind AR.  Waste of a trade capital.  

Jets need a back up 4 options

1. Pay for Brissett or a top back up. Will be expensive and we have other position problems. Probably about 5 million?

2. Trade a 4th for Howell who is proven he can play at a back up level, if Washington agrees to it with a salary under 1 million on cap.

3. Draft a rookie make him back up in 4th round.

4. Bring back Zack Wilson a backup.

I know 3 and 4 are not going to be acceptable. If we have the cap room for option 1 we should take it but we have alot of holes on this team. I think Howell for a 4th would be ok. Hopefully, if they do this he won't play because Rodgers is healthy.

17 hours ago, varjet said:

I think we need a one year QB2 that does not cost a draft pick and fits with the AR8/Hackett "system."

The next front office can then get a real QB next year for the next phase in Jet-dom.  

They get a vet backup QB who can fill in adequately if AR8 goes down and no one is getting fired.  They’ll win more than enough games to fill their mandate. 

17 hours ago, Jets and Redskins said:

He does but part of it is Washington was always playing from behind. There defense was terrible. It is alittle bit difficult to get a fair read on him.

He played good against the bad teams and terrible against top teams. I will say he is alot better then Wilson.

He played fine last year.  His ceiling is limited he’s basically a glorified Case Keenum which is still a massive upgrade over the mf’er

But ... Maholmes, Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Chad Pennington, Jordan Love, Aaron Rodgers, Colin Kapernick, Michael Vick, Phillip Rivers, Kirk Cousins, Chad Henne, Jacoby Brisset.., did not start as rookies.

The list is impressive to say the least ... But ... Maholmes, Rogers, Brees, Brady .. Mt Rusmore

Montana did not start until his sophomore year either .. he didn't suck.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Jets aren't drafting a QB so yes I take him he has starter potential when Rogers gets hurt again and retires at end this year they will have nothing at QB so I get Howell and hope he develops  because if they end up with Brisset it will be a very long time before the Jets have a team that will have playoff potential. Howell is young is only in the league 2 years is very green and still look like a baller think sitting behind Rogers will help him could get him to cutting down on the ints.

We might have more flexibility here than some might think. Sounds like Rodgers bc of his injury wants to play at least 2 more years. So there really isnt a "huge" need to get a young guy in here to develop. Would that be ideal? Of course bc I'd rather a young young thats raw to have 2 years learning from Rodgers than 1. But it still wouldnt be an absolute need to get a young guy as our 3rd guy. We all pretty much know that we will go a vet QB that can start games if needed as the backup plan. But I really dont mind who is QB3 for this year. I like a few of the mid late round guys to sit and develop this year.

6 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

He played fine last year.  His ceiling is limited he’s basically a glorified Case Keenum which is still a massive upgrade over the mf’er

I agree, but that what a back up Qb is and that the level of play we would need from him. It is probably a good move once again depending on price.

• Upvote 1

On 2/21/2024 at 4:07 PM, Jets and Redskins said:

I agree, but that what a back up Qb is and that the level of play we would need from him. It is probably a good move once again depending on price.

I wouldn’t trade more than future 4th for him.  There’s guys available in free agency as good as him

The good thing about Sam Howell is that he is young, cheap and has shown real good signs and toughness on a really bad team.

The bad thing about Sam Howell is if we trade for him and he sits behind Rodgers for 2 years then he will need to be paid after those 2 years and we would not have seen enough of him to determine if he warrants $. 

However, it would save us maybe $8-9 million in what we would have to spend on a backup. 

5 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

I wouldn’t trade more than future 4th for him.  There’s guys available in free agency as good as him

That sounds right a 4th tops. One of the big advantages is he under 1 million cap hit. That way I really like him over signing one of the other guys for big money. 

• Upvote 1

"The question is whether they elected to continually hand the ball off at the expense of limiting their capability to create explosive plays because they didn’t trust ####### or whether it was because they didn’t trust their offensive line’s ability to pass protect.*. ???

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk