Patriots hire senior advisor to the Head Coach (not announced during todays press conference)

Possible that she’s a really savvy executive and will serve to complement Mayo’s shortcomings as a fired athlete. Let him focus on x and o’s and her focus on PR and human resource crap that we’ve literally watched Bobby Saladad OBrien struggle with for us.

I guess I am basically repeating what others have said, but it seems odd in the NFL to put in an assistant to the HC who is basically an executive who focuses on the soft stuff.  I would think she would work under the business side, or maybe the GM.  

It is condescending to Mayo to need this type of assistant.  If you made her a Player Personnel Executive and asked to do the same things to help Mayo that she is other wise doing, I think it accomplishes the same thing without Mayo looking like an idiot. 

On 1/18/2024 at 1:41 AM, Matt39 said:

Asked why Jonathan wasn’t in attendance, even though he was expected to be, the Patriots owner explained, “He really is running all the Kraft Group companies, and something has come up today that’s very important.”

lol. Who’s running the Pats? The pig is officially cremated. 

Most posters here weren’t alive or dont remember what the patriots were before the Parcells/Bledsoe era.  It would give our last 15 years a run for its money

9 hours ago, varjet said:

I guess I am basically repeating what others have said, but it seems odd in the NFL to put in an assistant to the HC who is basically an executive who focuses on the soft stuff.  I would think she would work under the business side, or maybe the GM.  

It is condescending to Mayo to need this type of assistant.  If you made her a Player Personnel Executive and asked to do the same things to help Mayo that she is other wise doing, I think it accomplishes the same thing without Mayo looking like an idiot. 

Mayo will be gone in 3 years.  Very uninspiring hire. 

It is kind of funny to go back and think of all the arguments people had to discredit Brady. I was right there doing it too.

Saying he was a system QB, the Patriots way and what an amazing system they had and you could plug anybody into it and they'd succeed etc.

Patriots dynasty really simply came down to them drafting the greatest QB ever by sheer luck of the draw.

You take away Brady and that team probably never wins a single SB. Beli was an overrated coach and GM.

I spent most of his career hating his guts, never appreciated him as a player until he went to TB.

And Pat's failed horribly with Mac Jones proving just how hard it is to find a great QB and they had just gotten lucky.

• Upvote 2

On 1/17/2024 at 8:52 PM, Matt39 said:

Oh my

Okay, so lots of people despise woody but krafty is hated by the coach and he’s got quite a few trophies in the patsie trophy case.  Kind of makes one wonder just who is a great owner.  I guess it depends on one’s point of view whether they’re a coach or a fan.

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

Okay, so lots of people despise woody but krafty is hated by the coach and he’s got quite a few trophies in the patsie trophy case.  Kind of makes one wonder just who is a great owner.  I guess it depends on one’s point of view whether they’re a coach or a fan.

I think you have to factor in Kraft is old now and can likely be taken advantage of. His son, who no one seems to like, has always been hovering.

7 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I think you have to factor in Kraft is old now and can likely be taken advantage of. His son, who no one seems to like, as always been hovering.

Maybe.  We’ll see if they’re shirtsleeves to shirtsleeves in three generations.

I'm confused, do people think this person is going to be working on the football side of things in any capacity?  This is a business position, most likely working on contracts and legalese.  There's a 0% chance this involves coaching work, despite whatever that title sounds like.  

• Sympathy 1

17 hours ago, Bugg said:

This is fair. But begs the question; who specifically is making draft and free agent decisions? Sure they have scouting in place but is a specific personnel guy, Kraft Jr. or Mayo making the call?

Off picking Zach Wilson, less said the better. Blame Brick Johnson? 

Yes.

No, right now, it is clear as mud.  I think it is a matter of Bill getting hired somewhere.  If it is ATL or somewhere else, who will follow?  His kids?  I would imagine if they want to be their own man, they would stay or go somewhere else.  I would imagine Groh's kid would follow.  

I think the GM will be Elliot Wolf.  Ultimately, Mayo and Wolf or whoever it ends up being will need to have a common vision on who to draft on both sides of the ball.  Again, will he succeed?   We will see.

10 hours ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

It is kind of funny to go back and think of all the arguments people had to discredit Brady. I was right there doing it too.

Saying he was a system QB, the Patriots way and what an amazing system they had and you could plug anybody into it and they'd succeed etc.

Patriots dynasty really simply came down to them drafting the greatest QB ever by sheer luck of the draw.

You take away Brady and that team probably never wins a single SB. Beli was an overrated coach and GM.

I spent most of his career hating his guts, never appreciated him as a player until he went to TB.

And Pat's failed horribly with Mac Jones proving just how hard it is to find a great QB and they had just gotten lucky.

I think these things are complicated.  No one person or player is responsible for the success or failure of any team.

The Patriots, with BB's defensive vision, Paoli, Quinn, Cesario and others finding players, Ernie Adams telling everyone what to do, and Tom Brady QBing, were the greatest dynasty the NFL has ever seen.  When you take the other pieces away, you have one of the worst teams in the NFL.  

Kraft, and Woody, will have to find as many good people as possible to build a competitive team.

But I agree that Mayo with his bureaucrat sidekick is unlikely to be successful. 

5 hours ago, Wenham15 said:

I'm confused, do people think this person is going to be working on the football side of things in any capacity?  This is a business position, most likely working on contracts and legalese.  There's a 0% chance this involves coaching work, despite whatever that title sounds like.  

Of course she is, on behalf of Kraft Jr. 

5 hours ago, Wenham15 said:

There seems to be no logical reason to put this person on the coaching side of the organization other than to demean the HC.

Even Woody would not do that.