NY Jets salary cap primer, part 6: The mysterious June 1

37 minutes ago, section314 said:

You hearing anything about maybe moving Max Mitchell inside?

Mitchell has has some health issues, but it’s alarming how physically weak he is, even on the outside. He’s had enough time in an NFL strength program to improve, but he still looks like a dude who’d get his ass kicked by FCS defensive tackles. I dislike the idea of subjecting him to IOL snaps

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Mitchell has has some health issues, but it’s alarming how physically weak he is, even on the outside. He’s had enough time in an NFL strength program to improve, but he still looks like a dude who’d get his ass kicked by FCS defensive tackles. I dislike the idea of subjecting him to IOL snaps

This. Seems like the kind of guy we'd hear was shamefully cowering under a table at a sports bar at the slightest verbal dispute. We all know the type, amirite?

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, football guy said:

Hypothetically yes, you can find an upgrade for cheaper. Kevin Dotson, Graham Glasgow, Dalton Risner, Isaac Seumalo, Matt Feiler, Jon Feliciano, Greg Van Roten all signed for less than $8m/year and on the surface were better than or equal to Tomlinson. At the same time, it's not that simple. Some of those guys simply had better environments, others were acquired for a similar price who amounted to nothing (i.e. Dan Feeney, Nate Davis, etc.)

But as you allude to, I think the Jets will weigh the constant rotation at QB/LT/C as reasons for Tomlinson not playing very well. Each QB has certain preferences how the OL blocks, so when you have constant QB changes that's going to screw the OL a bit. When you have no stability at LT or C that too is going to impact his play. The other thing is his availability; considering our issues over the past few years there is significant value to that... all the top G options in free agency missed time, whereas Tomlinson hasn't. I think his future with the team comes down to this: (1) will he take a paycut; or (2) is there a clearly superior replacement available that will sign with us - i.e. Robert Hunt. If we had someone waiting in the wings, I think it would be a no-brainer that he's gone. Since they don't, they'll probably rework his contract and bring him back, draft his eventual replacement, and handle it similar to how they treated CMG/Tippmann. 

They definitely want him to continue practicing and improving at G. I don't know that he'll be there full-time but think of Conor McDermott as a comp - a backup who can play 4 spots in a pinch. 

Thanks. Mitchell had a weird season… shut out Max Crosby who was as good as it gets this past year and then gets toasted by way lesser players.

28 minutes ago, section314 said:

Thanks. Mitchell had a weird season… shut out Max Crosby who was as good as it gets this past year and then gets toasted by way lesser players.

B/c he’s so weak but his feet are good.  Don’t know to the extent it’s fixable though 

• Upvote 1

On 1/25/2024 at 7:36 AM, 32EBoozer said:

https://jetsxfactor.com/2024/01/24/ny-jets-salary-cap-primer-june-1/

Very good 6-part series on everything from Franchise/Transition Tags to Pre/Post June 1 cuts. Covers Huff, Tomlinson, CJ maneuvering and the consequences to FA

If the Jets cut Tomlinson before June 1, this is how it would affect his contract.

Laken-Tomlinson-contract.png

Tomlinson’s base salary and per-game roster bonus are not guaranteed and would therefore disappear. However, his entire prorated bonus would accelerate onto the Jets’ 2024 salary cap, meaning that $10,740,000 would become dead cap ($5,880,000 + $1,620,000 + $1,620,000 + $1,620,000). In that case, the Jets would save $18,880,000 – $10,740,000 = $8,140,000.

Post-June 1

Starting June 2, if a player is released, the dead cap charge will be split into two sections. Only the current year’s guaranteed money will count as dead money on this year’s cap. The rest of the guaranteed money will count as dead money on next year’s cap.

Now , in english .

5 hours ago, football guy said:

Hypothetically yes, you can find an upgrade for cheaper. Kevin Dotson, Graham Glasgow, Dalton Risner, Isaac Seumalo, Matt Feiler, Jon Feliciano, Greg Van Roten all signed for less than $8m/year and on the surface were better than or equal to Tomlinson. At the same time, it's not that simple. Some of those guys simply had better environments, others were acquired for a similar price who amounted to nothing (i.e. Dan Feeney, Nate Davis, etc.)

But as you allude to, I think the Jets will weigh the constant rotation at QB/LT/C as reasons for Tomlinson not playing very well. Each QB has certain preferences how the OL blocks, so when you have constant QB changes that's going to screw the OL a bit. When you have no stability at LT or C that too is going to impact his play. The other thing is his availability; considering our issues over the past few years there is significant value to that... all the top G options in free agency missed time, whereas Tomlinson hasn't. I think his future with the team comes down to this: (1) will he take a paycut; or (2) is there a clearly superior replacement available that will sign with us - i.e. Robert Hunt. If we had someone waiting in the wings, I think it would be a no-brainer that he's gone. Since they don't, they'll probably rework his contract and bring him back, draft his eventual replacement, and handle it similar to how they treated CMG/Tippmann. 

They definitely want him to continue practicing and improving at G. I don't know that he'll be there full-time but think of Conor McDermott as a comp - a backup who can play 4 spots in a pinch. 

@football guy any interest in Michael onwenu?

32 minutes ago, Ghost said:

They need to do a full documentary on this Tomlinson’s brain because he instantly forgot how to play football. It’s actually concerning. 

He’s not the only one. Legit question: which offensive players have improved under Saleh?