So, would you take a shot on Vince Young?

NIGHT STALKER

This writer thinks Young should be a middle first rounder!

April 11, 2006

Vince Young still thinks there is a possibility that the Houston Texans will select him in this month's NFL draft.

Vince must be subscribing to the same theory that some do. You know, the citizens of this fine country who think the rest of the world loves the United States of America, and we're in no danger from terrorists at all.

Not only should the Texans not take Vince Young, they shouldn't trade down for him and they shouldn't even entertain the thought. Not to mention, Vince Young would be a horrible mistake if chosen as the No. 1 player in this draft.

Of course, what do I know? I've only watched Vince Young play a ton of football over the last couple of years and without being a 'scout,' I feel like I have a very good understanding of what he can and cannot do on the field, and what he'll become in the NFL.

Vince Young is a fantastic player, with amazing athletic abilities. So is Michael Vick, and you see what kind of a quarterback he is. Vick couldn't pass his way out of EZ Pass lane.

There are a lot of similarities and differences between Vick and Vince. Young should copy almost nothing that Vick does, because Vick might be the worst quarterback ever in terms of fundamentals and playing the position in general.

I have no doubt that Vince will be a better pure passer on the next level then Vick is, not that it's a hard thing to accomplish. Vince improved his passing accuracy and command of the Texas shotgun zone-option offense tremendously from his sophomore to junior years.

Vick is faster than Vince, but I think Young's frame and body type will hold up much better in the NFL because he will be able to absorb the type of hits that pro players take.

Here are the major concerns I have about Vince Young, and you take it however you want. Vince is NOT going to be able to run and dance around NFL defensive units the way he was able to against teams like Baylor, Oklahoma State, Colorado and even USC.

You can't look at what Vince Young did in college and expect that he's going to do that in any way, shape or form in the NFL. First, the athletes are faster, stronger and smarter. Plus, because they get paid really well, most NFL players study loads of film, work out even harder and are much more football savvy than college players are.

Why can't anyone seem to see this? Vince Young will not be able to do what he did against USC in the Rose Bowl. He might do it once in a while, but not on a consistent basis.

That brings us to his passing skills. Though Young showed tremendous improvement last year, he still has the funky delivery that people are making a huge deal out of. Trust me; it's not that big of an issue. Its critics who read a scouting report and don't watch him play who make a big deal out of it.

The problem that Vince Young has that people keep overlooking is how he will transition to being largely an 'under-center' quarterback. Look, he won't be in the shotgun formation that he is most comfortable with. That means he is going to face a huge adjustment to reading defenses while backpedaling into a three-, five- or seven-step drop.

If you don't think that is a big deal, you don't understand football. I know Vince has worked under center at times and will do once he is selected, but it's a huge transition to do that purely in the NFL.

Michael Vick found out that you can only play a reckless style of football successfully on occasion. Vince will find out, too. So will the team that drafts him, unless they are smart and do what the Eagles did with Donovan McNabb and what the Vikings did with Daunte Culpepper, to name a few.

Vince Young won't make it past the Oakland Raiders at seven, but for my money -- I wouldn't touch him until at minimum, the middle of the first round.

This writer thinks Young should be a middle first rounder!

April 11, 2006

Vince Young still thinks there is a possibility that the Houston Texans will select him in this month's NFL draft.

Vince must be subscribing to the same theory that some do. You know, the citizens of this fine country who think the rest of the world loves the United States of America, and we're in no danger from terrorists at all.

Not only should the Texans not take Vince Young, they shouldn't trade down for him and they shouldn't even entertain the thought. Not to mention, Vince Young would be a horrible mistake if chosen as the No. 1 player in this draft.

Of course, what do I know? I've only watched Vince Young play a ton of football over the last couple of years and without being a 'scout,' I feel like I have a very good understanding of what he can and cannot do on the field, and what he'll become in the NFL.

Vince Young is a fantastic player, with amazing athletic abilities. So is Michael Vick, and you see what kind of a quarterback he is. Vick couldn't pass his way out of EZ Pass lane.

There are a lot of similarities and differences between Vick and Vince. Young should copy almost nothing that Vick does, because Vick might be the worst quarterback ever in terms of fundamentals and playing the position in general.

I have no doubt that Vince will be a better pure passer on the next level then Vick is, not that it's a hard thing to accomplish. Vince improved his passing accuracy and command of the Texas shotgun zone-option offense tremendously from his sophomore to junior years.

Vick is faster than Vince, but I think Young's frame and body type will hold up much better in the NFL because he will be able to absorb the type of hits that pro players take.

Here are the major concerns I have about Vince Young, and you take it however you want. Vince is NOT going to be able to run and dance around NFL defensive units the way he was able to against teams like Baylor, Oklahoma State, Colorado and even USC.

You can't look at what Vince Young did in college and expect that he's going to do that in any way, shape or form in the NFL. First, the athletes are faster, stronger and smarter. Plus, because they get paid really well, most NFL players study loads of film, work out even harder and are much more football savvy than college players are.

Why can't anyone seem to see this? Vince Young will not be able to do what he did against USC in the Rose Bowl. He might do it once in a while, but not on a consistent basis.

That brings us to his passing skills. Though Young showed tremendous improvement last year, he still has the funky delivery that people are making a huge deal out of. Trust me; it's not that big of an issue. Its critics who read a scouting report and don't watch him play who make a big deal out of it.

The problem that Vince Young has that people keep overlooking is how he will transition to being largely an 'under-center' quarterback. Look, he won't be in the shotgun formation that he is most comfortable with. That means he is going to face a huge adjustment to reading defenses while backpedaling into a three-, five- or seven-step drop.

If you don't think that is a big deal, you don't understand football. I know Vince has worked under center at times and will do once he is selected, but it's a huge transition to do that purely in the NFL.

Michael Vick found out that you can only play a reckless style of football successfully on occasion. Vince will find out, too. So will the team that drafts him, unless they are smart and do what the Eagles did with Donovan McNabb and what the Vikings did with Daunte Culpepper, to name a few.

Vince Young won't make it past the Oakland Raiders at seven, but for my money -- I wouldn't touch him until at minimum, the middle of the first round.

There will be no middle ground for Vince Young in the NFL.

He will either be a great superstar or he will be a bust.

It will be a roll of the dice for any team that drafts him.

They were saying on ESPN Radio that Young could go to Tenn. I just can't see taking a gamble on him that high.

There are probably 3 positions he would be great at in the NFL. QB not being one of them. The league doesn't know what to do with someone who has his skillset right now.

He comes into the league and runs like mad. The first time he gets hurt and misses 4 games they will take his game away and tell him to stay in the pocket. We have all seen this before.

Out of the 3 QB's, Young is the guy i'd take with no questions asked. I just like the way that guy leads his team. Ya can throw out all the wonderlic scores and workout stats and just look at game film of em' IMO. But i also liked Phil Rivers just as much as i did Ben Roethlisberger. Who knows how these guys will pan out in the pro's. If Young does drop, i think it'll really benefit him more anyways due to landing on a better team.

Out of the 3 QB's, Young is the guy i'd take with no questions asked. I just like the way that guy leads his team. Ya can throw out all the wonderlic scores and workout stats and just look at game film of em' IMO. But i also liked Phil Rivers just as much as i did Ben Roethlisberger. Who knows how these guys will pan out in the pro's. If Young does drop, i think it'll really benefit him more anyways due to landing on a better team.
Well Said,I agree this kid will be good in the nfl.Just needs someone to put him under thier wing

IMHO the Jets picked a bad year to suck.

The probable number one is an immensely talented back, that his own team took out on a critical 4th down in the championship game because he is too small. Why spend a first round pick on a player that cannot be an everydown back?

One of the top QBs, comes from an offense were he rarely took snaps under center and threw from an unorthodox throwing manner.

IMHO the best thing that could happen to the Jets' is for some team to screw up and throw a couple of first rounders at them to move up for some workout warrior. Wait a minute......

Come on PFSIKH, let's give credit where credit is due.

The Jets suck every year.

True. It is almost an art form. To suck like the Cardinals is one thing, to be mired in mediocrisy takes effort.

Archived