Four 2023 Joe Douglas Mistakes That he Can’t Repeat in 2024

JoeDouglasPractice

Any objective look at Joe Douglas will tell you that the Jets GM has done some good and bad at the helm for Gang Green.  As is the case with any GM in the history (and future) of the NFL, there are plenty of misses, but there are also more high level hits than you would see from most.

For example, the Jets have some of the most talented young players in the NFL at their respective positions in Sauce Gardner, Garrett Wilson, Jermaine Johnson, Breece Hall, Michael Carter, Quincy Williams and Joe Tippmann, who was named to the NFL’s all-rookie team this past season.

However, Joe Douglas’ 2023 off-season was his worst to date.  There were plenty of missteps that fans should hope he identifies and avoids repeating in the future.  Which mistakes should Douglas be looking to avoid?

Don’t use a First Round Pick on a Backup: 

When a team is “all in” as the Jets were in 2023 (and still are in 2024), its most valuable resources should be used on day 1 immediate impact players.  Douglas didn’t do that last year.

Despite needing upgrades on offense, the Jets used their first round pick on defensive end Will McDonald.  From the Joe Douglas made the pick it was obvious that his playing time would be limited.  This isn’t’ to say McDonald won’t be a great player because we believe he will.  However, selecting him to be a rotational player over a pass catcher was a mistake.  Because Aaron Rodgers was injured so early on, it’s a mistake that has been forgotten or overlooked by most fans.

Having gone out in free agency to secure their five starters along the offensive line with Tyron Smith and Morgan Moses as their tackles, using another premium pick to select a potential backup would be foolish.

Douglas isn’t in the midst of building a contender for the future.  He is tasked with doing something meaningful in 2024.  Be it a playoff appearance or perhaps even a playoff win or two.  If he were to come up short of that goal with a first round pick on his roster who may not see more than a handful of reps, it would be malpractice on his part.  He has to find a day 1 contributor with this selection.

A tackle outside of round 1 or perhaps even in a trade down scenario should be where the Jets are looking to boost the O-line while looking to add veteran depth in a player such as Cam Fleming.  This brings us to our next point.

Have a better plan for depth at tackle:

Joe Douglas took some risks at tackle last year and his backup plan blew up when injuries became unmanageable.  Entering the season with Duane Brown and Mekhi Becton was the risk.  The backup plan of moving Alijah Vera-Tucker to tackle and backfilling his spot with Wes Schweitzer fell apart when Brown, Vera-Tucker and Schweitzer all got injured.

Bringing in the aforementioned Smith and Moses is big, and Carter Warren having some experience under his belt helps.  But Douglas can’t stop now.  If he can manage to convince David Bakhtiari to be a backup tackle or add a player such as Cam Fleming, it would be a far better situation all-around on the O-line.

Keep the wheel:

After trading for future Hall of Fame quarterback Aaron Rodgers, Douglas went out of his way to keep the QB happy and acquired everyone Rodgers coveted.  That’s how the Jets ended up wasting millions of dollars in cap space and several roster spots on Dalvin Cook, Randall Cobb, Billy Turner, Tim Boyle and possibly Allen Lazard.

In the case of Lazard, it could be argued that the Jets would have pursued him with or without Rodgers as receiver was a need and Lazard was the best of a bad free agent bunch.

The fact that the Jets didn’t sign David Bakhtiari the second free agency started and that they later discussed Lazard in a trade suggests Douglas is putting Rodgers’ feelings on the back burner for now.

Add more talent at wide receiver:

Douglas was too passive at wide receiver last season.  Even after adding Lazard, Corey Davis’ injury history was significant enough to suggest another receiver should be added.  He passed on free agent DeAndre Hopkins and ignored the position in the draft.

Undrafted free agents Jason Brownlee and Xavier Gipson flashed as rookies but Joe Douglas should have added another veteran who had more gas left in the tank than Cobb.

The lack of a plan at backup quarterback is often mentioned as a Douglas flub but there have been whispers that the decision to go with a vet minimum type of QB came not from Douglas, but from over his head where the team didn’t want to spend big on a third quarterback behind Aaron Rodgers and Zach Wilson.

Some progress has been made by Douglas this off-season and if he avoids repeating some of his past mistakes, the Jets should be in position to snap their dreadful 13-year playoff drought.

The post Four 2023 Joe Douglas Mistakes That he Can’t Repeat in 2024 appeared first on JetNation.com - New York Jets Blog & Forum.

Click here to read the full story...

Had Scott Mason from Play Like a Jet come on yesterday to discuss mistake number 1 that Joe D can't make again.

Don't use your first round pick on a guy who many not see the field.

I don't get it.  Don't use your 1st on a backup?  Isn't that what they are going to do this year?  Maybe Bowers would start at TE, but is a rookie OT or WR expected to start over Smith/Moses or Wilson/Williams?  Draft the player that will help the most.

I also see not signing Bakhtiari as proof of improvement under "Don't give up the wheel" and then sign Bakhtiari under get OT help.

I admit I didn't listen yet.  Can't from here, but I will check it out later.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't get it.  Don't use your 1st on a backup?  Isn't that what they are going to do this year?  Maybe Bowers would start at TE, but is a rookie OT or WR expected to start over Smith/Moses or Wilson/Williams?  Draft the player that will help the most.

I also see not signing Bakhtiari as proof of improvement under "Don't give up the wheel" and then sign Bakhtiari under get OT help.

1st round safety b*tches, back to the old school jets

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

If you draft Bowers he's playing significant reps every week and should eventually jump Conklin unless they run a ton of 2 TE personnel and it doesn't matter who the "starter" is.

A LT only plays as often as injuries allow.  Could be 12 weeks.  Could be 2 weeks.  Could be zero weeks.

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

If you draft Bowers he's playing significant reps every week and should eventually jump Conklin unless they run a ton of 2 TE personnel and it doesn't matter who the "starter" is.

A LT only plays as often as injuries allow.  Could be 12 weeks.  Could be 2 weeks.  Could be zero weeks.

A WR is going to play a lot of snaps.

Honestly, an O Tackle is going to start games, ideally not a ton, but there is no way these 2 O Tackles make 17 starts each.  (Not hating on the moves at all, that is simply the reality)

6 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Honestly, an O Tackle is going to start games, ideally not a ton, but there is no way these 2 O Tackles make 17 starts each.  (Not hating on the moves at all, that is simply the reality)

Honestly, IMO you draft an a T in the 1st and you are certainly hoping that he leapfrogs Moses or Simpson even if there are no injuries.  I know this ridiculous board would be up in arms about such a failure, but Jonathan Ogden went #4 overall and played LG as a rookie next to Tony Jones.  The following year they moved Jones for a 2nd rounder and I don't think Ogden suffered for it.  

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, JetNation said:

Don’t use a First Round Pick on a Backup: 

This makes ABSOLUTE sense, but conflicts with this next one:

Have a better plan for depth at tackle:

The reason players make it to free agency is they are either probably injured/have been injured, they have priced themselves out of the cheap labour market, or they are trying to make as much money as possible and will go to the highest bidder, no matter how crappy the team is.  Injuries on the OL, as noted by many here, have risen quite a bit over the past five years.  It is fine that we have a starting LT and RT (and good ones at that when healthy).  But nobody stays healthy.  It is a violent sport.  And it doesn't matter if our GM is the greatest in the entire sport, NOBODY gets over 17 different lineman and 21 different line combinations in a year because of injury.  You should have a starting line.  If you are really good, you can have depth pieces.  But you can't expect much when playing a 5th stringer off the street.  

So, do you want depth security, or do you not want to use a 1st rounder on a backup?  

Keep the wheel:

Yup.....Rodgers wanted to be here.  This isn't a victory lap.  The GM talks to his star QB, and goes out and gets alternatives if the 'A' list isn't i) available or ii) affordable.  Biggest criticism thus far (from me) about JD.  Rodgers list wreaks of "getting the band back together" when some of the band members CLEARLY have lost some chops.  

Add more talent at wide receiver:

Back to the first point:  Do you want a WR sitting on the bench?  You have Wilson and Williams.  CLEARLY 1 and 2.  You can only get so many reps for everyone. 

To me, this would be the PERFECT year to trade down and make sure you recoup a 2nd this year.  A very deep draft in WR and OL.  We already have a shiny toy in Garrett Wilson.  This team would be better off with another Tyler Boyd-type WR AND a very good prospect/depth piece on the OL, rather than say mortgaging the future and going after Marvin Harrison Jr. 

Shiny toys lose their lustre.  Well-oiled machines work better.   

23 hours ago, JetNation said:

41 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I would agree that there's zero chance they start every game.

But we don't know how many they'll miss.  Is OT at 10 worth it if he starts five or six games?  I still say no.

Unprepared and inexperienced Carter Warren started a few of games last year and you could argue the line looked better.

Who's to say that after a full NFL offseason and training camp that he won't be a viable backup?

And I have nonissue with WR because that guy will play and should have an impact right out of the gate.

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Given smiths injury history a tackle drafted as a backup will probably get into more than a few games.  The thing is all drafted players are backups until they push the incumbents out of the way.  I think most coaches are hesitant to use rookies if they have vets at a position unless there’s a clear cut advantage (like sauce, breece, gWilson).  

As far as Mistake #1 (Don’t use a First Round Pick on a Backup), it makes sense in that case to prioritize WR.

Bowers doesn't profile as a blocker at the next level, so as of now, Ruckert should be playing a lot.

I don't know if Rodgers would feel comfortable with a rookie starting over the vet Conklin.

Unless you throw Bowers out there as a full-time slot WR, you'd have to bench or trade Conklin to really open a pathway for Bowers to see any meaningful snaps.

29 minutes ago, rangerous said:

Given smiths injury history a tackle drafted as a backup will probably get into more than a few games.  The thing is all drafted players are backups until they push the incumbents out of the way.  I think most coaches are hesitant to use rookies if they have vets at a position unless there’s a clear cut advantage (like sauce, breece, gWilson).  

All?  I do not remember that being the case in 2021. 

2 hours ago, AFJF said:

I would agree that there's zero chance they start every game.

But we don't know how many they'll miss.  Is OT at 10 worth it if he starts five or six games?  I still say no.

Unprepared and inexperienced Carter Warren started a few of games last year and you could argue the line looked better.

Who's to say that after a full NFL offseason and training camp that he won't be a viable backup?

And I have nonissue with WR because that guy will play and should have an impact right out of the gate.

WR is my #1, you use 3 WR a LOT in the NFL, and he'll play.

My #1 is trade back in the 1st, and get a WR and O Lineman in the 1st and 2nd round.   But, we'll see