Joe Douglas Just Saved His Job

JD is making a massive dice roll this season.  If the guys he signed are on the field, I think the product is good.

However almost all of them have an extensive injury history and the OL could end up like the 2023 Dallas game once the Metturf Monster comes a-knocking on these rebuilt knees and ankles.

Honestly, if the draft class looks good akin to 2022 and McDonald looks like another Huff in the making you can keep JD around even if you feel like you have to jettison Saleh.  But if that doesn't happen, I think if there's another up and comer available you may just have to reset... again.... and hope the new blood can create something real.

20 hours ago, ChewyandtheJets said:

Signing great or previously great players at QB, LT, and WR makes great headlines in March.  I just fear that when September comes we are going to realize that the QB is 40 years old and played 4 snaps last year before rupturing his achilles.  The WR is 31 and played 3 games last year before blowing out his ACL, and the LT is 33 years old coming off a season where he had to manage his practice schedule in order to play and still missed 3 games.  I am trying to be optimistic but this does not seem to be the way good organizations build their teams.  It is the way desperate poorly run organizations can rationalize building their teams.  Not to mention the obvious but downplayed point that in a year or so we are going to have all these major holes again.     

As of today there isn't a single WR on the roster who's reached his 30th birthday. Williams turns 30 in October.

Plus a single ACL tear isn't the career-ending injury it once was. Amazingly, these guys return to full speed the following season. Having the injury week 3 is a plus not a minus; it's way better for this season than if he'd torn it after 10+ games. Surgery was almost 5 months ago. Hopefully he doesn't reinjure it, but he should be 100% this year. Breece was, and he injured his later (plus plays a much more punishing & injury-prone position).

The rest are legitimate concerns. Rodgers is now two years removed from his last great season, and of late when Smith isn't playing a mere 13 games he's barely playing 3.

I'd include AVT's Achilles injury as a concern as well. I think 60/40 he gets his 5th year exercised and they cross their fingers on both injuries being flukes and him returning 100% this year, but tbh it would be a slam dunk declining it if they had 3 other young starters on the line. It's the problem with 1st round guards and especially centers; unless it's at least a 2x AP/PB guard the 5th year option mostly doesn't exist forminterior OLmen because it's based on top tackle money so you may as well just do a regular extension for less money; problem with that is AVT hasn't played even half a season since 2021. No matter which decision Douglas makes with him it's a risk for this once sure thing prospect he burned two day-2 picks to move up to get.

Before the draft, they're scheduled to have the same position holes they had earlier this month, with Rodgers being an even bigger unknown for next year than for this year, though it seems likely one of those '24 holes (OT or WR) will be filled by a 1st rounder. After that round it's a lower percentage guess who becomes a starter or a scrub, for the Jets and everyone else.

We'll see. 

Even aside from his draft whiffs, I'm sure he'd like to have tens of millios of his cap space back that he just burned through on Cook, D.Brown, Lawson, and Tomlinson.

12 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

As of today there isn't a single WR on the roster who's reached his 30th birthday. Williams turns 30 in October.

Plus a single ACL tear isn't the career-ending injury it once was. Amazingly, these guys return to full speed the following season. Having the injury week 3 is a plus not a minus; it's way better for this season than if he'd torn it after 10+ games. Surgery was almost 5 months ago. Hopefully he doesn't reinjure it, but he should be 100% this year. Breece was, and he injured his later (plus plays a much more punishing & injury-prone position).

The rest are legitimate concerns. Rodgers is now two years removed from his last great season, and of late when Smith isn't playing a mere 13 games he's barely playing 3.

I'd include AVT's Achilles injury as a concern as well. I think 60/40 he gets his 5th year exercised and they cross their fingers on both injuries being flukes and him returning 100% this year, but tbh it would be a slam dunk declining it if they had 3 other young starters on the line. It's the problem with 1st round guards and especially centers; unless it's at least a 2x AP/PB guard the 5th year option mostly doesn't exist forminterior OLmen because it's based on top tackle money so you may as well just do a regular extension for less money; problem with that is AVT hasn't played even half a season since 2021. No matter which decision Douglas makes with him it's a risk for this once sure thing prospect he burned two day-2 picks to move up to get.

Before the draft, they're scheduled to have the same position holes they had earlier this month, with Rodgers being an even bigger unknown for next year than for this year, though it seems likely one of those '24 holes (OT or WR) will be filled by a 1st rounder. After that round it's a lower percentage guess who becomes a starter or a scrub, for the Jets and everyone else.

We'll see. 

Even aside from his draft whiffs, I'm sure he'd like to have tens of millios of his cap space back that he just burned through on Cook, D.Brown, Lawson, and Tomlinson.

I don't believe there is any dead money for Cook. But the other 3 you mention account for $21 mil and then there is Uzomah for another $5.9 mil.

16 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

I don't believe there is any dead money for Cook. But the other 3 you mention account for $21 mil and then there is Uzomah for another $5.9 mil.

I'm not talking about dead cap space this year. I mean the money used on them would be available to them this year if it wasn't paid out in '23. The only one of those I mentioned that he was locked into last year was Tomlinson, but you could and would say that of Uzomah, too.

The most inexcusable were Lawson and Cook, just because those decisions were well after the draft. Not far behind is Brown. See, Brown I could've lived with for another year if he was fully healed, but he wasn't and at Brown's age that's a GM job to ascertain with certainty before betting an "all in" season on him as the starting LT. $25MM for those 3 alone.

• Upvote 1