Joe Douglas Just Saved His Job

2 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

Joe Douglas can auto-draft in 2024 and the onus will be on Saleh to figure it out. As far as I'm concerned, Joe D has put together a roster that should win 10-11 games next year. If they don't get there, that's on Saleh.

Extend Joe D and Fire Saleh if 2024 doesn't work out.

I don't think Woody likes Saleh at all and will look to get rid of him as soon as possible, and is only keeping him due to Rodgers wanting to control the team.

To Douglas' credit Woody put him in a put up or shut up situation, didn't let him rehire his second or third in command in the front office and this is what Douglas produced. If he has a good draft? Forget it, he's bulletproof.

Signing great or previously great players at QB, LT, and WR makes great headlines in March.  I just fear that when September comes we are going to realize that the QB is 40 years old and played 4 snaps last year before rupturing his achilles.  The WR is 31 and played 3 games last year before blowing out his ACL, and the LT is 33 years old coming off a season where he had to manage his practice schedule in order to play and still missed 3 games.  I am trying to be optimistic but this does not seem to be the way good organizations build their teams.  It is the way desperate poorly run organizations can rationalize building their teams.  Not to mention the obvious but downplayed point that in a year or so we are going to have all these major holes again.     

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Adoni Beast said:

I think if he nails this draft then it's sealing the deal for his return. Douglas has had some really bad drafts and free agent signings. He by no means has been anywhere close to perfect nor do I think he deserves to automatically be back. I am just writing what I think is going to happen.

The league and media deem Douglas as a talent and someone who regardless of misfires should be a GM. The league and media do not think that Saleh is a talent beyond being a DC. Should those opinions matter as much as they do? No but it's Woody Johnson and they matter plenty to him. 

The one thing is, the expectations don't meet the reality. Yes, Douglas has had some bad picks and free agent signings. Are there GMs who don't? How does that make him any different from any other team executive in league history? 

If the expectation is to find a GM who never misses on a draft pick or free agent signing, I fear the fan base will never like a GM. Ever. And I honestly believe there is a contingent who never will like a GM, no matter what.

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

See that’s where i disagree.  If rodgers is cooked after this season you still have tyrod as a bridge qb, you can draft a guy like pratt in the 4th and then look to acquire another vet and go for it while you look to draft a guy in 2025.  

Sure, but not sure I’d let JD continue of Rodgers is in fact cooked. He’s been here a long time. You have to win at some point 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mrcoops said:

Interesting comparison.  I've been watching quite a bit of Bowers over the last few days, and he does look and play a lot more like a fullback/H-back type more so than a traditional TE.

I'm not sure what I think of him as a potential pick at #10 yet.  Nice player to be sure, but I'm not sure I see a top 10 pick. On the other hand, the Jets seriously considered Mayer at 15 last year, who has a similar body type (although a bit bigger), so maybe the Jets do see a top-10 guy in Bowers.

Bowers running style does look different then most TE's from what I've seen. Something about his hunched shoulders does kind of look like a very fast H-back , fullback type rather then having a straight up receiver posture. Something kept me from thinking wow right away when first watching his highlights so It wouldn't surprise me if they pass on him.

Seems like a football junkie who's a little awkward but amiable in doing interviews

It's a nice roster... when healthy. That's the thing with this team; lots of upside and lots of risk. There are more than our fair share of guys on this roster that have proven that they have a hard time staying on the field.

The Jets undoing will not be talent. It will be some combination of health and horrific coaching.

Just now, slimjasi said:

Sure, but not sure I’d let JD continue of Rodgers is in fact cooked. He’s been here a long time. You have to win at some point 

That’s the problem.  And it’s not as if he only traded for rodgers, he also drafted zach wilson.   It will be interesting to see if they address qb at all in the draft. 

1 minute ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

The one thing is, the expectations don't meet the reality. Yes, Douglas has had some bad picks and free agent signings. Are there GMs who don't? How does that make him any different from any other team executive in league history? 

If the expectation is to find a GM who never misses on a draft pick or free agent signing, I fear the fan base will never like a GM. Ever. And I honestly believe there is a contingent who never will like a GM, no matter what.

Well my opinion on what will/should happen isn't necessarily tied to what I think Woody Johnson will do. I think Woody is keeping Douglas after this offseason.

I think beyond the record and some misfires on roster building my biggest issue with Douglas is a lack of leadership, too quiet when things are bad, and seemingly not alpha enough to step in with coaching and player situations when things have gone off the rails. In short, Douglas needs to assume the leadership role of this organization and really put his stamp on it.

21 minutes ago, Warfish said:

"But HOW could JD have anticipated injuries?  Injuries just happen!  We must give JD another year!" - Posts ~10 months from now.

JD anticipating injuries means he drafts another player this year who won’t start. Probably a OT or WR, and he will get scoured for it by the same contingent.

It’s a lose/lose situation for him even though he has re-shaped the roster on an average budget, without pushing too much money into the future.

2 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

I honestly don’t think so. I really think Woody keeps him and puts it all on Saleh.

Woody has already made comments pre-free agency that “we have the talent we just need to figure out how to deploy it.”

If the team fails its on the both of them. Actually you can argue that if it fails due to injuries that it's more douglas' fault than saleh's due to stocking the team with injury prone players. Team fails they are both goners. Deservedly so

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

That’s the problem.  And it’s not as if he only traded for rodgers, he also drafted zach wilson.   It will be interesting to see if they address qb at all in the draft. 

Exactly. If Rodgers was his first big QB move and it turns out that Rodgers is simply washed, I would no issue letting Joe draft his own guy. The huge miss on Wilson is very hard to ignore. 

1 minute ago, Adoni Beast said:

Well my opinion on what will/should happen isn't necessarily tied to what I think Woody Johnson will do. I think Woody is keeping Douglas after this offseason.

I think beyond the record and some misfires on roster building my biggest issue with Douglas is a lack of leadership, too quiet when things are bad, and seemingly not alpha enough to step in with coaching and player situations when things have gone off the rails. In short, Douglas needs to assume the leadership role of this organization and really put his stamp on it.

I agree with this and i have no proof to support it.  It’s also why i wouldn’t be surprised if they took a qb at some point b/c douglas will be here and they’d get an offensive minded coach to improve that side of the ball.  Woody’s mantra to go offense implicitly meant coaches as well. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

It's a nice roster... when healthy. That's the thing with this team; lots of upside and lots of risk. There are more than our fair share of guys on this roster that have proven that they have a hard time staying on the field.

The Jets undoing will not be talent. It will be some combination of health and horrific coaching.

Which is why I think Woody would want to keep Douglas and fire Saleh....which I kind of agree with. I do think Douglas needs to be involved more though with all of the operations. This offseason was a good indication of him doing that where last offseason he overpaid for Rodgers when there were no other suitors and then signed his buddies, and then drafted an edge rusher to please his head coach.

Be a leader and put YOUR stamp on the team.

3 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

If the team fails its on the both of them. Actually you can argue that if it fails due to injuries that it's more douglas' fault than saleh's due to stocking the team with injury prone players. Team fails they are both goners. Deservedly so

Certainly a good and fair point. I just don't think that Woody Johnson sees it or will see it that way.

Isn't JD the one who hired Saleh?

Who drafted Wilson?

Who wasn't prepared for a Rodger's injury?

Who hasn't shown to be the guy who makes the tough personnel decisions?

He's lucky to have a job now and has this one chance to correct many of his past mistakes.  IMO, he's off to a promising start but this is the type of smart planning & execution that has been largely missing for long periods of his tenure.  Instead we've lived with a mishmash of JD, Saleh, Rodgers, Woody, and Hogan's conflicting preferences.   

I don't know how Woody could overlook this failure in leadership .... but it's Woody so the hell knows.

Just now, Adoni Beast said:

Certainly a good and fair point. I just don't think that Woody Johnson sees it or will see it that way.

If they don’t make the playoffs this year it’s probably b/c rodgers missed a lot of the season, and at this point that’s just rotten luck.  He was quite durable at GB

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I agree with this and i have no proof to support it.  It’s also why i wouldn’t be surprised if they took a qb at some point b/c douglas will be here and they’d get an offensive minded coach to improve that side of the ball.  Woody’s mantra to go offense implicitly meant coaches as well. 

I think given the fact that the Tyrod deal was a 2-year deal decreases the chances of a QB in the 3rd-4th round and it would be more likely they throw a dart in the 6th or 7th round for someone as a long-term development project guy.

2 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Which is why I think Woody would want to keep Douglas and fire Saleh....which I kind of agree with. I do think Douglas needs to be involved more though with all of the operations. This offseason was a good indication of him doing that where last offseason he overpaid for Rodgers when there were no other suitors and then signed his buddies, and then drafted an edge rusher to please his head coach.

Be a leader and put YOUR stamp on the team.

Only if he's willing to hire a proven winning head coach or a young and hot offensive coordinator. No more defense-first staffs.

• WTF? 1

I think given the fact that the Tyrod deal was a 2-year deal decreases the chances of a QB in the 3rd-4th round and it would be more likely they throw a dart in the 6th or 7th round for someone as a long-term development project guy.

I hear you.  Wishful thinking on my part.  Still, they have 2 picks in the 4th, good use would be moving up for pratt.  

Just now, slimjasi said:

Exactly. If Rodgers was his first big QB move and it turns out that Rodgers is simply washed, I would no issue letting Joe draft his own guy. The huge miss on Wilson is very hard to ignore. 

If you were going to take a QB in that draft in the 2 spot, it was pretty much the universal concensus that Wilson was the 2nd best prospect. It's not like they traded three 1st to trade up and take Trey Lance. It's not like taking Darnold over Josh Allen.

The big hindsight mistake was not trading out of the spot. Killing him for taking Wilson is way too harsh. A bunch of teams would have taken him if he was available when they picked. Taking Wilson doesn't brand Douglas as an inept evaluater of QB's. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

That's interesting. I suppose it is a philosophical question. Should the GM be more hands-on like that? Or is it a case where the GM should have the people in place who do that for him? In other words, was it up to Douglas to step in? Or was it a sign of his failing in hiring RS that Saleh had not done that for him?

1 minute ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

That's interesting. I suppose it is a philosophical question. Should the GM be more hands-on like that? Or is it a case where the GM should have the people in place who do that for him? In other words, was it up to Douglas to step in? Or was it a sign of his failing in hiring RS that Saleh had not done that for him?

Yeah certainly a lot of conjecture on my part but from my own observations I remember Douglas saying early in his tenure that he wanted to make this the greatest culture in all of sports. Clearly we are far from that and that goes beyond wins and losses. The player surveys, the league surveys, the media leaks, etc. It's all dysfunction.

Douglas needs to stop playing the nice guy and take ownership on a larger scale (my own opinion) to make sure that we are a progressive team that hires a good strength and condition team, attracts good positions coaches, scouts want to come to and learn, etc. etc. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah certainly a lot of conjecture on my part but from my own observations I remember Douglas saying early in his tenure that he wanted to make this the greatest culture in all of sports. Clearly we are far from that and that goes beyond wins and losses. The player surveys, the league surveys, the media leaks, etc. It's all dysfunction.

Douglas needs to stop playing the nice guy and take ownership on a larger scale (my own opinion) to make sure that we are a progressive team that hires a good strength and condition team, attracts good positions coaches, scouts want to come to and learn, etc. etc. 

i think some harsh lessons were learned from the wilson fiasco and then how he bent over for rodgers.  This offseason feels more like the gm we thought we were getting.  Also hated the player usage of the rookies, get mcdonald and izzy involved.  There was a disconnect last year and now that saleh is clearly on the hot seat he just needs to play guys who can help save his butt. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

It's bizarre how cyclical this franchise and fans are. This is like the 9th time we've all seen this movie and yet here we are still hoping that Johnny isn't going to get kicked in the ******* face.

We might be more f-d up than that.  I actually enjoyed Johnny getting kicked in the face.

karate kid GIF by IFC

Cobra Kai Sweep GIF by IFC

4 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

It's bizarre how cyclical this franchise and fans are. This is like the 9th time we've all seen this movie and yet here we are still hoping that Johnny isn't going to get kicked in the ******* face.

Shut up we’re waxing off.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

If you were going to take a QB in that draft in the 2 spot, it was pretty much the universal concensus that Wilson was the 2nd best prospect. It's not like they traded three 1st to trade up and take Trey Lance. It's not like taking Darnold over Josh Allen.

The big hindsight mistake was not trading out of the spot. Killing him for taking Wilson is way too harsh. A bunch of teams would have taken him if he was available when they picked. Taking Wilson doesn't brand Douglas as an inept evaluater of QB's. 

Fair.  The counter is that keeping him in action for 3 years should have been fatal for JD.  

Just now, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Fair.  The counter is that keeping him in action for 3 years should have been fatal for JD.  

My point is that he shouldn't be branded a sh*t QB talent evaluater because he selected Wilson.

I do agree it was a huge mistake having Wilson as the #2 last year. But if Rodgers missed only 2 games and Zach came in to game manage a 1-1 record, no one would be screaming. I don't think anyone expected Rodgers to go down 4 plays into the season.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Right but I don’t think Woody Johnson would blame Douglas for that. He will however blame Saleh if we win 7 games again with Tyrod Taylor. Just my hunch.

Agree ultimately it will be Saleh that goes, but someone needs to put pressure on Hackett before the season to plan if Rodgers gets hurt again. Maybe an offensive guru added to staff, because even the players said he couldn't pivot on the fly. Look at how many other teams have succeeded with a backup because the offensive coordinator could change things up.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

If they don’t make the playoffs this year it’s probably b/c rodgers missed a lot of the season, and at this point that’s just rotten luck.  He was quite durable at GB

Gotta have a backup plan at qb. Not sure that tyrod taylor is a good plan. But I guess Douglas is gonna run with it