Joe Douglas Just Saved His Job

1 minute ago, Adoni Beast said:

The facts are clear and obvious about this team's record under Joe Douglas.. It's been putrid, but however rocky the road has been we have arrived at our destination folks and that is the current roster we have. I think Joe Douglas has done enough to survive whatever happens this season. If they underperform, a rash of injuries, etc. I think Saleh is gone and Douglas gets extended. 

• We don't really have anymore bad contracts and certainly long term ones
  • We have a really good core of young players
  • The vets supporting them are not off a cliff yet and aren't signed to big time long-term deals
  • We still have our picks moving forward to draft a QB once Rodgers is gone

Quite simply, it took awhile but Douglas has put together a team that can compete and is well-balanced. If he drafts a good LT and WR this draft to assume the roles of post-Tyron + post-Williams then I think he absolutely is unequivocally back regardless of what happens this season. Additionally, there's no reason to believe that if this year goes well enough that Tyron and/or Williams don't come back for another year or two. I'm not absolving Douglas of the many faults and missteps that he has taken, however he has fixed those without mortgaging our future in anyway. 

If rodgers gets hurt again, you still have a win now team with no qb. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Augustiniak said:

Right but I don’t think Woody Johnson would blame Douglas for that. He will however blame Saleh if we win 7 games again with Tyrod Taylor. Just my hunch.

3 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Right but I don’t think Woody Johnson would blame Douglas for that. He will however blame Saleh if we win 7 games again with Tyrod Taylor. Just my hunch.

At this point yes.  I think they have 2 qbs who are able to get a competent roster to at least a wc spot.  Barring unusual injuries, this burden falls on the coaches and woody now understands it’s up to the coaches.  It’s not like the offensive roster they had when douglas arrived, especially if they draft anothe playmaker.  

And while I’m not a fan of going TE at 10 i do think it’s a possibility.  I wouldn’t think douglas does it, but i think it’s possible.  If you go on you tube and watch the bowers highlights, i get it.  I do think he’s good.  Reminds me of Richie Anderson on steroids (not literally, but in a good way).  

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I honestly don’t think so. I really think Woody keeps him and puts it all on Saleh.

Woody has already made comments pre-free agency that “we have the talent we just need to figure out how to deploy it.”

You might be right there the way woody thinks.

Douglas is responsible for basically all parts of the team, if saleh goes Douglas should go.

He has gambled everything on this Aaron Rodgers move, if it fails he should be gone.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I honestly don’t think so. I really think Woody keeps him and puts it all on Saleh.

Woody has already made comments pre-free agency that “we have the talent we just need to figure out how to deploy it.”

Yep, Douglas filled up the shopping cart.  It’s up to saleh to make the meal.  Hopefully he does better.  With all these vets he’s not going to get away with having a thin skin or taking cell phones away.  But a lot of reports from the jets practices also had the players not practicing all that hard.  We’ll see.  Either way it’s all on saleh.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

If you go on you tube and watch the bowers highlights, i get it.  I do think he’s good.  Reminds me of Richie Anderson on steroids (not literally, but in a good way).  

Interesting comparison.  I've been watching quite a bit of Bowers over the last few days, and he does look and play a lot more like a fullback/H-back type more so than a traditional TE.

I'm not sure what I think of him as a potential pick at #10 yet.  Nice player to be sure, but I'm not sure I see a top 10 pick. On the other hand, the Jets seriously considered Mayer at 15 last year, who has a similar body type (although a bit bigger), so maybe the Jets do see a top-10 guy in Bowers.

Let’s see how the draft goes, how McDonald and Tippmann play, etc. Douglas has cobbled together a talented, old, fragile roster on short term contracts. That might lead to winning and has positioned him to be able to draft guys to develop to contribute at key spots - but he really hasn’t shown he can do that consistently. He’s had one really good draft. Put together a nice draft this year and fill some of the many holes for next offseason in advance and maybe he’s got a stew going.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

The facts are clear and obvious about this team's record under Joe Douglas.. It's been putrid, but however rocky the road has been we have arrived at our destination folks and that is the current roster we have. I think Joe Douglas has done enough to survive whatever happens this season. If they underperform, a rash of injuries, etc. I think Saleh is gone and Douglas gets extended. 

• We don't really have anymore bad contracts and certainly long term ones
  • We have a really good core of young players
  • The vets supporting them are not off a cliff yet and aren't signed to big time long-term deals
  • We still have our picks moving forward to draft a QB once Rodgers is gone

Quite simply, it took awhile but Douglas has put together a team that can compete and is well-balanced. If he drafts a good LT and WR this draft to assume the roles of post-Tyron + post-Williams then I think he absolutely is unequivocally back regardless of what happens this season. Additionally, there's no reason to believe that if this year goes well enough that Tyron and/or Williams don't come back for another year or two. I'm not absolving Douglas of the many faults and missteps that he has taken, however he has fixed those without mortgaging our future in anyway. 

Two injuries to players that were injured last year and this season can very easily derail. And every team has injuries. 

As for bad contracts, we have a ton of dead cap for 2026 coming up. JD essentially put all eggs in 2024 to make the playoffs. Cuz he knows nothing matter beyond it if he fails now. Still, he has to draft at least 2 starters in the draft to make a push for playoffs. 

Two good signings doesn’t mean the 2023 mess gets undone. It’s a start though. 

Just like in Glengarry Glenross:

1st place is a car (long term extension).

2nd place (w playoffs) is a set of steak knives (1 year extension) 

3rd place is he's fired.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

With the teams current players, if they mainly stayed healthy and Tyrod Taylor does as well and gad to start for the majority of the season, Jets should still make the playoffs. There is a big gap between Taylor and Wilson/Boyle/Simien as far as handling QB duties and it is not really even close.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Not if the team falters next year.

No playoffs and he should be gone, end of story.

"But HOW could JD have anticipated injuries?  Injuries just happen!  We must give JD another year!" - Posts ~10 months from now.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

JD has severely underperformed (to put it very mildly) over the last 5 seasons as GM and if the Jets don't make the playoffs this season, he's gone and deservedly so.  This shouldn't even be up for debate.  He should have already been fired and is living on borrowed time only because the owner is even more incompetent than he is. 

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

I think this is a really interesting proposition. 

I have a really difficult time seeing Douglas surviving another non-winning season but the sentiment from both Woody (and really, around the league and in the media) is very pro Douglas relative to Saleh.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

You might be right there the way woody thinks.

Douglas is responsible for basically all parts of the team, if saleh goes Douglas should go.

He has gambled everything on this Aaron Rodgers move, if it fails he should be gone.

Both of these men have contracts that run out at the same time 

He does not really have to fire anyone just let their contracts get close to run out and pay them off for last 5 months or whatever 

That feels like the most woody outcome 

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

The only thing that will save his job is the playoffs 

I wonder.

If the team finishes say 10-7 (a +3 win variance), get a 6th seed wildcard game, and gets blown out......did JD save his job (and Saleh's)?

I would argue no, personally.

Plus this roster is now built for the extreme short-term.  If we makes the playoffs in 2024, it's still going to be a huge effort to maintain the roster to compete in 2025, with all the old vets and one-year deals.

Buying a single wildcard blowout loss with a bunch of desperation moves, name Vets and one-year deals is the old Snyder Washington Redskins methedology.  

Not good enough to save him IMO.

10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I wonder.

If the team finishes say 10-7 (a +3 win variance), get a 6th seed wildcard game, and gets blown out......did JD save his job (and Saleh's)?

Plus this roster is now built for the extreme short-term.  If we makes the playoffs in 2024, it's still going to be a huge effort to maintain the roster to compete in 2025, with all the old vets and one-year deals.

Buying a single wildcard blowout loss with a bunch of desperation moves, name Vets and one-year deals is the old Snyder Washington Redskins methedology.  

It’s an interesting hypothetical.

On one hand, I don’t like the idea of firing a GM who technically ended the playoff drought and I’d love to maintain some stability in the front office. On the other hand, I would not be satisfied with a blowout playoff loss in round 1. 

I think a lot depends on Rodgers. If he’s mediocre, you clean house. If he’s good and wants to return for another year, you let JD try to retool.  

The other factor is - how did we get to 10-7? Did we start off 8-3 and collapse down the stretch? Did we start off 3-8 and finish strongly? Were we pretty solid all year long? How are guys like Will McDonald, Joe Tippman, and the upcoming 2024 draftees playing? 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

It’s an interesting hypothetical.

On one hand, I don’t like the idea of firing a GM who technically ended the playoff drought and I’d love to maintain some stability in the front office. On the other hand, I would not be satisfied with a blowout playoff loss in round 1. 

I think a lot depends on Rodgers. If he’s mediocre, you clean house. If he’s good and wants to return for another year, you let JD try to retool.  

The other factor is - how did we get to 10-7? Did we start off 8-3 and collapse down the stretch? Did we start off 3-8 and finish strongly? Were we pretty solid all year long? How are guys like Will McDonald, Joe Tippman, and the upcoming 2024 draftees playing? 

See that’s where i disagree.  If rodgers is cooked after this season you still have tyrod as a bridge qb, you can draft a guy like pratt in the 4th and then look to acquire another vet and go for it while you look to draft a guy in 2025.  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I think this is a really interesting proposition. 

I have a really difficult time seeing Douglas surviving another non-winning season but the sentiment from both Woody (and really, around the league and in the media) is very pro Douglas relative to Saleh.

I think if he nails this draft then it's sealing the deal for his return. Douglas has had some really bad drafts and free agent signings. He by no means has been anywhere close to perfect nor do I think he deserves to automatically be back. I am just writing what I think is going to happen.

The league and media deem Douglas as a talent and someone who regardless of misfires should be a GM. The league and media do not think that Saleh is a talent beyond being a DC. Should those opinions matter as much as they do? No but it's Woody Johnson and they matter plenty to him. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I wonder.

You can call them desperation moves, but isn't the fan base desperate? Doesn't that fit where the franchise and the fan base are right now?

And yes, a lot of the moves are short-term, but Rodgers' window is going to be pretty short. Bad long-term contracts to veterans on the downside of their careers might hamstring the franchise when it comes to re-signing the likes of Sauce, JJ, Breece, GW, etc. 

Just now, Adoni Beast said:

I think if he nails this draft then it's sealing the deal for his return. Douglas has had some really bad drafts and free agent signings. He by no means has been anywhere close to perfect nor do I think he deserves to automatically be back. I am just writing what I think is going to happen.

The league and media deem Douglas as a talent and someone who regardless of misfires should be a GM. The league and media do not think that Saleh is a talent beyond being a DC. Should those opinions matter as much as they do? No but it's Woody Johnson and they matter plenty to him. 

At this point, if rodgers craps out i don’t think douglas gets the rap for that.  He did bring in a legit backup qb.  But he would do well to draft a guy like pratt and show he’s intent on developing his own qbs.

2 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Right, I agree with this in terms of narrative.

• Upvote 1