2024 Yankees season thread

16 hours ago, bicketybam said:

Unless you were born in 1930, it's a terrible metric to judge any pitcher, Phil.

Yeah I guess Nestor losing twice as many games as he wins is my fault.  It’s also someone else’s fault the guy can’t pitch more than 4 innings

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Yeah I guess Nestor losing twice as many games as he wins is my fault.  It’s also someone else’s fault the guy can’t pitch more than 4 innings

Clueless 

On 7/12/2024 at 10:08 AM, bicketybam said:

W/L is how you judge a pitcher? 😅😅😅😅😅😅

I measure a starter by ERA, Innings Pitched, and Win Loss.

Some guys have a knack for losing games, you score 2, they give up 3.  You score 6, they get hammered.

That being said, Nestor is averaging 5.75 innings per start, which is 2nd best on the team right now, and his ERA is 3.67, which is below league average.   Meaning he is above average as a starter, but really he is a #3 on a good team.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, chirorob said:

I measure a starter by ERA, Innings Pitched, and Win Loss.

Some guys have a knack for losing games, you score 2, they give up 3.  You score 6, they get hammered.

That being said, Nestor is averaging 5.75 innings per start, which is 2nd best on the team right now, and his ERA is 3.67, which is below league average.   Meaning he is above average as a starter, but really he is a #3 on a good team.

Throw in quality starts and whip and I'm with you. 

20 hours ago, bicketybam said:

Throw in quality starts and whip and I'm with you. 

Quality starts goes right to innings.  A starters job is to eat innings and not give up runs.  Rodon going 4 today is crap.

Whip is great, but baserunners don't count towards win/loss.   It's like strikeouts, it's great, but it doesn't really matter.

A ground ball pitcher may give up more singles, with less strike outs, but he can also get more double plays and low pitch innings.

Volpe is so overrated. If he can't field he's absolutely worthless.

Verdugo's play was inexcusable. I won't miss him at all. Maybe he could have walked around the outfield slowly and waved to the fans after he missed that easy line drive. Total choad.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bicketybam said:

Volpe is so overrated. If he can't field he's absolutely worthless.

Verdugo's play was inexcusable. I won't miss him at all. Maybe he could have walked around the outfield slowly and waved to the fans after he missed that easy line drive. Total choad.

But what about Verdugo‘s wondermetrics?

7 hours ago, chirorob said:

Verdugo and Volpe are awful right now.  Not hitting, now not fielding.

Brutal.

Volpe at least had a great defensive play earlier in the game that saved 2 runs.  Verdugo has been exposed last 2 months no wonder the Red Sox wanted to get rid of him and had no issue trading him inside the division to the Yankees 

This team is so poorly constructed year in year out. Why would you bring Stanton back every year when you know he misses 80 games a year???that tells me everything I need to know. 

1 hour ago, Barton said:

This team is so poorly constructed year in year out. Why would you bring Stanton back every year when you know he misses 80 games a year???that tells me everything I need to know. 

Because of the horrible contract. You can’t trade him and if you cut him you have to pay him. They are forced to keep him and get what they can out of him.

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, section314 said:

Because of the horrible contract. You can’t trade him and if you cut him you have to pay him. They are forced to keep him and get what they can out of him.

Crazy thing is Stanton is actually the least of our problems now and him getting injured is killing the lineup.  

Cashman’s problem is his philosophy is he values power hitting over high OBP.  The years the Yankees won 1996-2000 and 1999 we had both power hitting and high OBP guys.   The Lemehieu contract is a killer because it’s long, guaranteed and he was supposed to be the high OBP guy but as soon as the ink was dry on the contract he hit the wall

3 hours ago, section314 said:

He should have been cut. George would have done it 2-3 years ago. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Barton said:

Because he is owed a contract through 2027 and has a no trade clause.

1 hour ago, Barton said:

He should have been cut. George would have done it 2-3 years ago. 

People love on George now forget how he ran that team into the ground in the 80s.

Also, George HATED Dave Winfield, and never cut him to eat the contract.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, chirorob said:

People love on George now forget how he ran that team into the ground in the 80s.

Also, George HATED Dave Winfield, and never cut him to eat the contract.

It’s more like George would have cut Brian Cashman several years ago

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Keep trotting out the same lineup of guys who don’t hit week after week. Let’s not forget this team had Josh Donaldson hitting 4th for a year and a half. Once they finally cut him, he retired 2 months later. Folks, this team is run by a bunch of idiots. Go listen to Francesca’s rant today - spot on. And these press conferences with Boone showing frustration just exemplify how much of a noodle he is. The guy has zero energy and presence. He is not a leader. He is not management material. This team has zero edge and confidence year after year. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Hey guys just popping in here to say that Gerritt Cole has given up 9 homers this season and 7 of them have been to the Mets. OK good talk see ya later.

Cant wait to see Cashman give Cole a 5 year $300 million contract next offseason 

if the Yankees are smart they let Cole sucker another team and they sign Max Fried instead 

On 7/13/2024 at 9:28 AM, Rich Thornburgh said:

Nestor is a smallish LH starter who doesn't throw hard but has a lot of guile.

I don't believe he will ever get back to his All Star season status but he is a ML pitcher, a decent 5th starter type and/or long man/spot starter on a good staff.

We paid nothing to get him , drafted near the bottom, left came back for nothing, he worked out fine but don't expect Whitey Ford here.

3 hours ago, section314 said:

The most overrated GM in pro sports.

Always been terrible but he has naked pitchers of Hal doing nasty things.

I do think the Yankees draft this season has potential to be very, very good.

I can see the first 3 picks being in the majors by Sept 2026 if they stay healthy, 3 big horses with 95 MPH stuff  and multiple secondary pitches, Yankees played that very smart, getting Hess, Cunningham & Hurd, three guys at some point expected to be #1 draft picks who fell due to minor injuries and some college struggle, Yankess have become good  development of this type of late. .

The 4th rounder Gage Ziehl has a chance if they can get his heater up a tic or two (hope he signs), if not, I see a good set up man there ala  a Tommy Kahnle type .Not a big pitcher like the first 3 but i see a Clarke Schmidt type comparison here as a starter type.

5th rounder throws 103 MPH,  probably was a wasted pick but worth a look with Yankees development team so good these days..

6th Griffin Herring, Yankees loved him and the LH does have a lot of moxie, just needs to add strength and velo, he has a LH WIll Warren type chance to make it..

Like the 11th rounder Mack Estrada a lot, think he has ML stuff and might be a steal and they have some nice lottery pick OF'ers with good athleticism also.

The first baseman born in Taiwan, a switch hitter , needs to add power but is interesting too.

I think Yankees did really well in this draft, took Oppenheimer and Cashman many years to figure it out but recently their approach has been very good.

This draft was FUNKY but i think it's going to be a big winner for them.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Leftylarry said:

Nestor is a smallish LH starter who doesn't throw hard but has a lot of guile.

I don't believe he will ever get back to his All Star season status but he is a ML pitcher, a decent 5th starter type and/or long man/spot starter on a good staff.

We paid nothing to get him , drafted near the bottom, left came back for nothing, he worked out fine but don't expect Whitey Ford here.

Problem is he’s a top 3 starter in our rotation when he really should be treated as a 5th starter who is 1-2 more bad starts from going back to the bullpen where he really belongs