Jets Looking to be More Physical on Offense This Season

3 minutes ago, slats said:

Allen was one of the youngest players in this draft. He won’t turn 21 until after his first full NFL regular season. I’ve seen all sorts of sizes listed for him, but it’s generally 6’2”, 235. Put this practically literal kid in an NFL weight room, and he’ll comfortably carry 245. This guy is a piece of clay. He’s already demonstrated himself to be a pounding RB, he’s gonna be their ‘tweener weapon at H-back/FB, eventually. Bowden was the big loser when this guy got drafted. Davis will be the thumper. 

The slot receiver job is Corley’s to lose. They’ll open camp with Gipson penciled in as the starter with Corley backing him up (and Lazard playing X while Williams recovers), but they’ll quickly flip spots on the depth chart. After missing out on the top three WRs in hopes of elevating the entire group, at the top of the third they focused on upgrading the slot with a true WR in a RB’s body knowing that Garrett-Williams is a fine 1-2. They want Corley to be that guy, and they’re gonna give him every chance to be that guy. 

Izzy have a role in your scenario or is he odd man out

Just now, Vader said:

Izzy have a role in your scenario or is he odd man out

I think he has a lot to prove, but it’s Bawden who’s probably out of work. Allen and Conklin can handle most FB duties this year. Abanikanda is a guy I see who’s the back up to Breece’s contributions in the passing game, and the only other speed guy in the group. 

11 minutes ago, slats said:

I think he has a lot to prove, but it’s Bawden who’s probably out of work. Allen and Conklin can handle most FB duties this year. Abanikanda is a guy I see who’s the back up to Breece’s contributions in the passing game, and the only other speed guy in the group. 

You really think Allen can play FB? He looks way too upright. Agree Bawden may be gone but if they are moving to a power scheme maybe not. How many teams actually carry a FB?

3 minutes ago, Vader said:

You really think Allen can play FB? He looks way too upright. Agree Bawden may be gone but if they are moving to a power scheme maybe not. How many teams actually carry a FB?

Not many. I expect the Jets to cover the position with a combination of Allen and Conklin while carrying a total of seven TE/RBs. I may be projecting out my anus, it’s that time of year, but I would be looking to work on Allen’s receiving skills and employ him as an H-back/FB who gets a fair share of carries. If that is their plan, it helps to justify taking Davis later to step in and be the pounding RB. 

36 minutes ago, slats said:

Allen was one of the youngest players in this draft. He won’t turn 21 until after his first full NFL regular season. I’ve seen all sorts of sizes listed for him, but it’s generally 6’2”, 235. Put this practically literal kid in an NFL weight room, and he’ll comfortably carry 245. This guy is a piece of clay. He’s already demonstrated himself to be a pounding RB, he’s gonna be their ‘tweener weapon at H-back/FB, eventually. Bowden was the big loser when this guy got drafted. Davis will be the thumper. 

The slot receiver job is Corley’s to lose. They’ll open camp with Gipson penciled in as the starter with Corley backing him up (and Lazard playing X while Williams recovers), but they’ll quickly flip spots on the depth chart. After missing out on the top three WRs in hopes of elevating the entire group, at the top of the third they focused on upgrading the slot with a true WR in a RB’s body knowing that Garrett-Williams is a fine 1-2. They want Corley to be that guy, and they’re gonna give him every chance to be that guy. 

Curious if Izzy has any experience as a punt returner.  I know he's handled KR's.  Other than achieving folk hero status from Hard Knocks and one punt return, neither Gipson or Brownlee did much of anything the entire season.

21 minutes ago, Vader said:

He can’t.  Not without serious development.

He has enough size and bulk to his frame, but his technique / results on film are awful in this area.

“Looks like Tarzan plays like Jane” in pass pro.

7 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Curious if Izzy has any experience as a punt returner.  I know he's handled KR's.  Other than achieving folk hero status from Hard Knocks and one punt return, neither Gipson or Brownlee did much of anything the entire season.

If you throw money out of the equation, I’d keep Brownlee over the Lizard 🦎.

We know what Lazard is, a JAG downgraded version of CD who rode AR to anomalous statistical production.

Brownlee is a size / speed freak who has a lot more upside than Lazard.

I think it time for Rucker to start over Conklin. Yes, I'll jump the gun and think we should follow through with this. At least make the snaps 50/50. It's time to unleash Ruckert. He should be a 400-500 yards guy this season while being a stud blocker. 

5 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Another nugget:

Braelon Allen is awful in pass pro and blocking in general.

Can’t be trusted on 3rd down.

So he’s basically a 2-down back.

Are they gonna relegate Breece to 3rd down duties?

Double-dipping at RB doesn’t make any sense.

It’s not like either of these guys can be a KR / PR.

I think they will be terrific KR candidates.  With the new rules, nobody can move until the returner touches the ball.  
And then Allen/Davis get a 10 yard head start on an Oklahoma drill with blockers.

13 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

If you throw money out of the equation, I’d keep Brownlee over the Lizard 🦎.

We know what Lazard is, a JAG downgraded version of CD who rode AR to anomalous statistical production.

Brownlee is a size / speed freak who has a lot more upside than Lazard.

No argument on Lazard - has the potential to be a Trumaine Johnson level bust signing.  I guess we'll have to see on Brownlee.  Feels like he fits his UDFA pedigree pretty well so far...

29 minutes ago, slats said:

Not many. I expect the Jets to cover the position with a combination of Allen and Conklin while carrying a total of seven TE/RBs. I may be projecting out my anus, it’s that time of year, but I would be looking to work on Allen’s receiving skills and employ him as an H-back/FB who gets a fair share of carries. If that is their plan, it helps to justify taking Davis later to step in and be the pounding RB. 

interesting. Ruckert may be that hybrid guy -- he's an insane blocker.