The whole "franchise qb" thing is a myth

Fred Jetstone

"As above, so below"

What is the meaning of this famous esoteric saying?

Basically, that the patterns in the smallest systems, repeat themselves endlessly, right up to the largest systems.

Or in other words - everything is interconnected.

Not trying to introduce you to the teachings of Egyptian mystery schools. Just trying to illustrate a point about all the draft hype concerning the so-called importance of a franchise qb.

It's all bull. A qb touches the ball every offensive play. Yeah, but the o-line butts heads with a defender every offensive play, wack! The tight end and receivers either block or run, so do the backs. This is all mirrored on the defensive side of the ball.

Upon the snap, there is a complex burst of running and blocking. There is no position more important than any other. It's all interconnected. If one player screws up the whole system can collapse.

Thus, my draft theory is to take the best player available or the most-needed, best-player available.

NEVER, I repeat never, draft a so-called marquee position just for the sake of it. Like, this position is more important than that position...or that position carries more status than this position.

This kind of thinking defies basic metaphysical, universal laws and has traditionally been the Jets undoing.

As far as I'm concerned, we already have a franchise qb. Now go for bpa or need.

End of discussion!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"As above, so below"

What is the meaning of this famous esoteric saying?

Basically, that the patterns in the smallest systems, repeat themselves endlessly, right up to the largest systems.

Or in other words - everything is interconnected.

Not trying to introduce you to the teachings of Egyptian mystery schools. Just trying to illustrate a point about all the draft hype concerning the so-called importance of a franchise qb.

It's all bull. A qb touches the ball every offensive play. Yeah, but the o-line butts heads with a defender every offensive play, wack! The tight end and receivers either block or run, so do the backs. This is all mirrored on the defensive side of the ball.

Upon the snap, there is a complex burst of running and blocking. There is no position more important than any other. It's all interconnected. If one player screws up the whole system can collapse.

Thus, my draft theory is to take the best player available or the most-needed, best-player available.

NEVER, I repeat never, draft a so-called marquee position just for the sake of it. Like, this position is more important than that position...or that position carries more status than this position.

This kind of thinking defies basic metaphysical, universal laws and has traditionally been the Jets undoing.

As far as I'm concerned, we already have a franchise qb. Now go for bpa or need.

End of discussion!

End of discussion? Tell you what, start from SB I and tell me which of the QB's that were under center would be characterized as "franchise QB's"...not too many "Dilfers" were there?!

Is there such a thing as the anti-franchise QB? If so Bollinger has the title locked up

Yes, there is such thing as the "anti-franchise qb" and yes, Bollywood personifies it.

THE ANTI-FRANCHISE QB

Team-first attitude

Can take a sack or two without serious injury (tough)

No holding team hostage without outrageous contract demands

No excuses for bad coaching

Improves each and every week

Has grassroots fan support

Like cream, eventually rises to the top

End of discussion? Tell you what, start from SB I and tell me which of the QB's that were under center would be characterized as "franchise QB's"...not too many "Dilfers" were there?!

At the end of the day, all Superbowl qb's are Trent Dilfers...all of 'em.

Without smart play-calling, a supporting cast, a dash of clock management and a pinch of D, watcha got?

If Tom Brady was drafted by the Browns, he'd be Tim Couch. If Tim Couch was drafted by the Pats, he'd have a couple 'o rings on his fingers.

Why do you think Elway refused to go to Baltimore? Did Dan Marino ever win a bowl? Did Peyton Manning ever win a bowl? If Joe Montana played for the Jets, how many 'Bowls would the Jets have won? If Ken O'Brien played for the 49ers.....ahhh, you get the picture.

As above, so below.

At the end of the day, all Superbowl qb's are Trent Dilfers...all of 'em.

Without smart play-calling, a supporting cast, a dash of clock management and a pinch of D, watcha got?

If Tom Brady was drafted by the Browns, he'd be Tim Couch. If Tim Couch was drafted by the Pats, he'd have a couple 'o rings on his fingers.

Why do you think Elway refused to go to Baltimore? Did Dan Marino ever win a bowl? Did Peyton Manning ever win a bowl? If Joe Montana played for the Jets, how many 'Bowls would the Jets have won? If Ken O'Brien played for the 49ers.....ahhh, you get the picture.

As above, so below.

So, when Pennington went down, we should have still won the Super Bowl. Ditto with Vinny before that. No matter who you replace them with, they're all the same right? Heck, why pay these guys millions, when you can just hire some bum off the street to QB? Let's ignore all the difference a backup makes, that is, how ineffective they are! All QBs are exactly the same! When Tom Brady replaced Drew Bledsoe and went on to win Super Bowls, it's because...he's the same as Drew Bledsoe! No difference at all!

Let me use an ancient saying too: don't spit into the wind. This indicates that placing something into an opposing force results in that thing being turned against you. This means that when people throw footballs, you can never throw into the wind, because it will fly right back at you! Remember, don't spit into the wind. Ancient saying and all that. Since it's ancient, it applies to football. End of discussion.

While I strongly believe in the team concept, do you really think this guy...Babe Parilli, is chosen MVP of Super Bowl III?

While it does take a complete team to win, it doesn't hurt matters knowing you have that "franchise QB" under center. And yes, the Dan Marino's of the NFL don't always win...why? Because they didn't have a complete team.

We can go round and round on this topic. I would just prefer building a team around a Joe Namath than a Babe Parilli.

You're really not that stupid, are you?

Agree 100% Tx. If Couch was playing in the Pats "system", he would have more than a few rings.

Why do you think Brady signed so cheap? He knows this. They are carrying him.

Yes, there is such thing as the "anti-franchise qb" and yes, Bollywood personifies it.

THE ANTI-FRANCHISE QB

Team-first attitude

Keep Dreaming Freddie.

Using your deifinition, Brady is the anti-franchise QB.

THE ANTI-FRANCHISE QB

Team-first attitude

Keep Dreaming Freddie.

Keep Dreaming Freddie.

Exactly my point. Essentially, there is no ability-difference between Brady and Bollinger. Give either one of 'em the right system, they succeed. Sell 'em down the river with bad play calling, they fail. It's a very simple concept actually, even for you.

Keep Dreaming Freddie.

Exactly my point. Essentially, there is no ability-difference between Brady and Bollinger. Give either one of 'em the right system, they succeed. Sell 'em down the river with bad play calling, they fail. It's a very simple concept actually, even for you.

Do you honestly believe that if someone makes it to the Pro's they instantly have as much talent as everyone else? That scheme is everything? If that's true why are Coaches paid the same as some JAG special teamer? You honestly believe half of the garbage you're spewing because you've learned how to wrap it up into a nice easy explaination (atleast in your own head).

When Tannenbaum finally cuts your uncle from this team will you leave?

Do you honestly believe that if someone makes it to the Pro's they instantly have as much talent as everyone else? That scheme is everything? If that's true why are Coaches paid the same as some JAG special teamer? You honestly believe half of the garbage you're spewing because you've learned how to wrap it up into a nice easy explaination (atleast in your own head).

When Tannenbaum finally cuts your uncle from this team will you leave?

Your boy Mangini won't make the same mistakes Herm made.

You're probably right.

Mangini will probably take a QB in the 6th or 7th round and then cut Bollinger's sorry a$$.

He is useless as an NFL QB.

Did you watch his pathetic performances last season?:eek:

Your boy Mangini won't make the same mistakes Herm made.

You're probably right.

Mangini will probably take a QB in the 6th or 7th round and then cut Bollinger's sorry a$$.

You're probably right.

Do they have optometrists down thar in Texarkanaaa where you is? Ya might ne needin' some specs.

Oh oh oh, better question, do they have tevylishin sets down in yer dust bowl locay, huh?

DOn't think yer gettin' t'see da same games I is, Patsfantx.

You're probably right.

Do they have optometrists down thar in Texarkanaaa where you is? Ya might ne needin' some specs.

Oh oh oh, better question, do they have tevylishin sets down in yer dust bowl locay, huh?

DOn't think yer gettin' t'see da same games I is, Patsfantx.

I'm starting to think you really believe all that crap about Bollinger.:eek:

There is no way he believes this stuff. Bolly should be cut though. We have proven that we can lose consistently with Bolly at QB. What more do we need to know?

I'm starting to think you really believe all that crap about Bollinger.:eek:

There is no way he believes this stuff. Bolly should be cut though. We have proven that we can lose consistently with Bolly at QB. What more do we need to know?

Herm was the problem. Playcalling was the problem. A depleted, and not so good to begin with, o-line was the problem.

Seriously, look back on some of those games, understand the concept of 'as above, so below', and figure it out.

NEW ORLEANS - Nugent misses last-second FG

BALTIMORE - Herm calls exclusive diet of run-up-the-middle for 3.5 quarters

CAROLINA - Justin McCraphands has ball bounce off chest into defender's hands for interception (destroys teams esprit de corps)

MIAMI - Bolly throws for 300+ yards but gets no support

I repeat, it's a team concept. You win as a team, you loose as a team. The letdown wasn't at qb.

Herm was the problem. Playcalling was the problem. A depleted, and not so good to begin with, o-line was the problem.

Seriously, look back on some of those games, understand the concept of 'as above, so below', and figure it out.

NEW ORLEANS - Nugent misses last-second FG

BALTIMORE - Herm calls exclusive diet of run-up-the-middle for 3.5 quarters

CAROLINA - Justin McCraphands has ball bounce off chest into defender's hands for interception (destroys teams esprit de corps)

MIAMI - Bolly throws for 300+ yards but gets no support

I repeat, it's a team concept. You win as a team, you loose as a team. The letdown wasn't at qb.

Archived