Jets OTA updates (6/4 Open to Media)

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

37 carries in Week 18 so they could drop down three or four slots in the draft. 

The Jets do a lot of things where you wonder if winning is the actual goal

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

TDS are directly connected to QB play.  JAG is way too strong, don’t agree.  
Nobody else seems to think he’s a JAG either.  

Receptions and yards are "directly connected to QB play"? Why were other players able to score TD's on the New York Jets? 

And again, why were those other TE's on other teams I've mentioned w/ equally horrible QB able to score those TD things? I'm pretty sure you've told me Zach Wilson was better than Justin Fields, how does Cole Kmet score 6 TD's in a season w/ such a horrible QB? 

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The rationale for not signing Huff….??

Huff got, essentially, 2 yrs, $34 mil from the Eagles. Reddick is probably a better player, but he’s old. If Douglas traded for him and ends up giving him more than the $17m per Huff got? Reddick has this year for $15 mil cash on his deal and wants more, apparently. 

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Huff got, essentially, 2 yrs, $34 mil from the Eagles. Reddick is probably a better player, but he’s old. If Douglas traded for him and ends up giving him more than the $17m per Huff got? Reddick has this year for $15 mil cash on his deal and wants more, apparently. 

And Will McDonald 

• Post of the Week 1

23 minutes ago, Lith said:

Typical Connor Hughes 

Rich Cimini @RichCimini

So to recap the Haason Reddick situation: He has not attended any voluntary workouts after being traded to the #Jets. He's had no communication with Saleh, who deferred to Joe Douglas when asked if Reddick is seeking a new contract. (Typically, Douglas isn't available to the media during OTAs.) Saleh: "I'm focused on the guys who are here and Haason's a pro. He's been in this league a while. He's produced it at a very high level for a long time. He's got his routine and if it makes people feel better, we know where he's at, we know what he's doing and we know he's working his tail off to get where he needs to get you to have a productive '24 season." Reddick has one year left on his deal ($14.5M) and it's believed that he wants an extension. By skipping workouts, he won't collect his $250K workout bonus.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, slats said:

The entirety of my “hard stance,” was that Douglas would never draft an undersized TE who was either unwilling or not healthy enough to test athletically with a top ten pick, and I was correct. Nothing to be found silly about that. 

I just think you’re a bit on an island referring to an average level starter as a JAG, but that’s your business. I think of JAGs as being the bottom of the roster guys. It’s all good. Carry on. 

Yeah, that was not the "entirety" of your position at all.  It may have been your major point of contention w/ the Jets drafting him but you went hard on the Bowers will suck in the NFL saying sh*t like, "how does a small, undersized TE, unathletic, tweener slot WR translate to the NFL, how does he even get the ball, nobody his size has ever succeed". Dont try and try and twist it now.  I remember it all, homey!

I'm great w/ disagreeing on the term JAG, but I dont think fringe roster players get that designation, personally.  

4 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

Receptions and yards are "directly connected to QB play"? Why were other players able to score TD's on the New York Jets? 

And again, why were those other TE's on other teams I've mentioned w/ equally horrible QB able to score those TD things? I'm pretty sure you've told me Zach Wilson was better than Justin Fields, how does Cole Kmet score 6 TD's in a season w/ such a horrible QB? 

Look, if you’re saying he hasn’t been open in the EZ or couldn’t get open in the EZ then how do you explain the other catches and the yardage.  He wasn’t targeted or wasn’t in the RZ game plan.  His lack of TDs on a bottom ranked O wasn’t because he’s a JAG.  You named teams with equally bad QBs than ZW, TS etc?  
You’re putting all the emphasis on TDs, that’s fine but it doesn’t define the TE especially given where he’s played recently.  If he caught 4 or so TD he’d be the same player.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetkwondo said:

If I may, looking at this objectively some of your "facts" seem to paint Conklin in a very bad light based solely on your opinions when if you compare his stats to other top TE's, beyond TD's scored, you will find a different story.

Conklin is not a top TE, I agree,  but I do think he falls somewhere in between a Top TE and JAG based on comparing his stats by using the metrics in the link below. Now if you were talking about Ruckert I would agree that he's a JAG at this stage of his career.

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/advanced-stats-te.php

But then again, that's just my opinion... 

Hmmmm, not sure what opinions Ive shared, Ive mainly referenced his stats and grades.  I mean, I guess you could argue that my "he's not a great route runner" could be an opinion but I think it's pretty accurate, all you have to do is watch him.  He can beat slow weakside LB'ers but everyone else sticks to him like glue.  Slant, out, seam, 5 yards down field.  That's all he gives you.  But I digress, that is an opinion, I guess.

Ruckert is a nobody.  He doesnt deserve JAG title.

12 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Look, if you’re saying he hasn’t been open in the EZ or couldn’t get open in the EZ then how do you explain the other catches and the yardage.  He wasn’t targeted or wasn’t in the RZ game plan.  His lack of TDs on a bottom ranked O wasn’t because he’s a JAG.  You named teams with equally bad QBs than ZW, TS etc?  
You’re putting all the emphasis on TDs, that’s fine but it doesn’t define the TE especially given where he’s played recently.  If he caught 4 or so TD he’d be the same player.

No, I've put the emphasis on his entire game.  The not scoring a single TD in 27 games of Football speaks to everything I've said about him.  It's all connected.  He's not a dynamic WR, he cant run routes, he doesnt get open down field, he doesnt provide any YAC.  He's an outlet guy who falls over immediately upon catching the ball.  He's one of the worst pass protection TE's in the NFL.  Throw in the fact, he had the 11th most Red Zone targets for a TE in the NFL and didnt score, speaks to how JAGalicious he actually is.  I'm currently reading that he's the amazing contested catch guy...wouldnt that be super valuable in the endzone?  Or maybe because he's not very good at getting open, he has to make contested catches or because he usually gets the ball as a check down and check downs typically arent available in the red zone.  Therefore he's ineffective.  That adds up.  Common sense.  And it's why he doesnt score.  Even w/ a QB who threw for 4500 yards and 35 TD's.  

I like TD's.  They're fun!  They put points on the board.  If you have more points then the other team, you win!  Conklin doesnt contribute in that dept, which isnt typically the mark of a good player but rather, the mark of a JAG.  

• Thumb Down 1

29 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

Yeah, that was not the "entirety" of your position at all.  It may have been your major point of contention w/ the Jets drafting him but you went hard on the Bowers will suck in the NFL saying sh*t like, "how does a small, undersized TE, unathletic, tweener slot WR translate to the NFL, how does he even get the ball, nobody his size has ever succeed". Dont try and try and twist it now.  I remember it all, homey!

I'm great w/ disagreeing on the term JAG, but I dont think fringe roster players get that designation, personally.  

Last time I checked, Bowers hasn't taken an NFL snap yet.

Point being nobody can say with any kind of certainty, how good or bad he will be at the NFL level.

We can only speculate, as to what his NFL production might, or might not be.

Arguing about it, or trying to say "I told you so" at this point in the OFF-season, is pretty damn silly.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think it depends on your definition of JAG.  I provided mine and I think Conklin is on the high side of that.  By Hael's definition below, Conklin is certainly much better than a JAG and I think you, @JustInFudge would agree.  Conklin is what I would describe as "fine."  He is a solid starter and not a hole that has to be replaced.  With other weapons around him he will probably flourish.  Still, if I tell my wife she looks "fine" she is going back upstairs and changing again.

10-14 seems kind of high to me and I am not particularly worried about replacing him if he goes down.  For instance, despite having drafting a 1st rounder as his replacement, I think they will suffer way more when Tyron Smith goes down.

I think this is all coming down to everyone on here having different definitions of a JAG and I dont call, street fee agents, Jags.  But another way to look at this is, I think we can all agree, if Conklin gets IR'd, nobody even notices he's gone.  To me, that's a JAG.

2 hours ago, JustInFudge said:

My take is completely harmless and has nothing to do w/ not selecting Bowers, who hasnt been mentioned once until your post.  Maybe your nervous your hard stance against him will look silly?  I get it, I typically come out on top of the JiF vs. the board arguments, as you know all too well but I assure you, my assessment of Conklin's game is completely independent of a player who's never played a down in the NFL.

Look like we checked the same sources, brah!!!

3 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Last time I checked, Bowers hasn't taken an NFL snap yet.

Point being nobody can say with any kind of certainty, how good or bad he will be at the NFL level.

We can only speculate, as to what his NFL production might, or might not be.

Arguing about it, or trying to say "I told you so" at this point in the OFF-season is pretty damn silly.

Nobody is doing that, but I do appreciate you not reading the thread and chiming in! 

12 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

Look like we checked the same sources, brah!!!

Nobody is doing that, but I do appreciate you not reading the thread and chiming in! 

So you say, but your post reads differently.

You're opinion about Conklin is also off.

In 2024, Conklin had career high in receptions (61), setting personal bests in yards (621) and first downs (27) -- playing with four different quarterbacks.

246 of his 621 receiving yards were YAC.

And an over-looked stat, Conklin had ZERO fumbles.

New York Jets 2023 NFL Regular Season Players Stats - ESPN

A TE that can catch the ball, hold onto it & keep the chains moving.

Call me crazy, but I'll take that.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Lith said:

This isnt based on this particular video, but rather, the collective videos we've seen from Rodgers...he doesnt look like your typical 40 year old QB w/ the helmet on, moving around and throwing.  He still looks rather spry.  IMO, different then the other 40 year old QB's we've seen in the NFL.  They were all statues and couldnt move to begin w/ and it only got worse w/ time.  Rodgers doesnt really seem to have that going on, even after a major injury.

• Upvote 1