How good is Garrett Wilson?

2 hours ago, JohnnyLV said:

People here are 100% expecting MVP Rodgers ignoring the fact that he was clearly declining and even before the injury looked shaky on the other 3 snaps. With the Achilles we have no idea what we will get a QB. People seem to be gleefully ignoring that outside a few QBs most QBs drop off a cliff in terms of capability around 38.  And we could easily be onto Jordan Travis or even Peaseley by the end of the season because our OL is very questionable (again) from a durability standpoint.

The Jets have hurt me too!

the navy comes through tissue GIF by Warner Archive

• Haha 1

On 7/1/2024 at 2:57 PM, Warfish said:

Wilson was the 4th highest in the NFL in targets (168) in 2023, and tied with 11 guys for 11th in the NFL in gross drops (7).

Wilson's drop percentage in 2023 was 4.2%.

Wilson's drop percentage ranked him as tied with 2 other guys for the 77th worst out of 139 eligible receivers in 2023.

His drop rate of 4.2% was lower than the NY Jets teamwide drop percentage of 4.7%.

The Jets finished 16th in the NFL in drop percentage with that number, pretty much dead middle of the NFL.

Only Conklin (2.3% on 87 targets) and Gipson (2.6% on 38 targets) were better than Wilson on the Jets.

I believe you've complained about his drops several times this offseason, drops aren't a major issue for Wilson.  As his numbers show.  He's spectacularly average in terms of how many drops he had last year.  

All stats courtesy of:  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2023/receiving_advanced.htm

The Jets finishing 16th in drop percentage is awful imo.  While the poor QB play (inaccuracy, poor location, little touch) was probably to blame for a considerable portion of the drops, I think it's pretty inexcusable for a starting NFL WR to drop more than 1-2 passes a season. They are supposedly the world's best.  Catchig the ball is a basic, fudametal skill.  They are paid a lot of money to focus and to catch the ball.

Dropped passes are like stupid illegal procedure penalties or lining up offsides, totally avoidable and unnecessary.  Those are things that bad teams do to beat themselves.  Hopefully, with Rodgers at QB, they can cut that drop percentage in half.

1 hour ago, JKlecko said:

The Jets finishing 16th in drop percentage is awful imo.

It's awful to be ranked in the middle of the league in something?

I think it's pretty inexcusable for a starting NFL WR to drop more than 1-2 passes a season.

You'll need to take that up with the 131 receivers, running backs and tight ends who dropped more than 2 passes in 2023.

They are supposedly the world's best.  Catchig the ball is a basic, fudametal skill.

MLB hitters are the worlds best.  A great one these days fails 7 times out of 10. 

Expecting perfection in sports is expecting the impossible.

They are paid a lot of money to focus and to catch the ball.

Does having more money make catching a poor pass in traffic easier?

Dropped passes are like stupid illegal procedure penalties or lining up offsides, totally avoidable and unnecessary.  Those are things that bad teams do to beat themselves.  Hopefully, with Rodgers at QB, they can cut that drop percentage in half.

In 2022, the Rodgers-led Green Bay Packers were the worst in the NFL in drop percentage, at 7.3%

In 2021, Green Bay was the best in the NFL, at 2.5%.  Devante Adams dropped 3 that year, more than your 1-2 threshold for inexcusable failure.

In 2020, the Packers were 10th worst, at 5.2%.  Scantling dropped 7 that year.  Lazard another 5.  Adams only had 1.

In 2019, the Packers were 10th best, at 4.2%.  Devante Adams dropped 7 that year.

Etc.  Etc.  Etc.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Warfish said:

It's awful to be ranked in the middle of the league in something?

You'll need to take that up with the 131 receivers, running backs and tight ends who dropped more than 2 passes in 2023.

MLB hitters are the worlds best.  A great one these days fails 7 times out of 10. 

Expecting perfection in sports is expecting the impossible.

Does having more money make catching a poor pass in traffic easier?

In 2022, the Rodgers-led Green Bay Packers were the worst in the NFL in drop percentage, at 7.3%

In 2021, Green Bay was the best in the NFL, at 2.5%.  Devante Adams dropped 3 that year, more than your 1-2 threshold for inexcusable failure.

In 2020, the Packers were 10th worst, at 5.2%.  Scantling dropped 7 that year.  Lazard another 5.  Adams only had 1.

In 2019, the Packers were 10th best, at 4.2%.  Devante Adams dropped 7 that year.

Etc.  Etc.  Etc.

First of all, I've seen the stats on drops by teams and by individuals.  Some are to be expected because after all, we're human.  I think a lot of them, however, are totally unnecessary.  It's just another way in which the quality of play in the NFL has tapered off over the last 5-10 years.  Everything has gotten looser and sloppier, and worse it's accepted by coaches, GMs and fans.  Poor widdle players having to practice too hard or too much?  I'd like to tell 'em to suck it up, buttercup.  They're doing something they love, making tons of money, getting fame, babes, and then get jobs as spokespersons in commercials and make more money.  I don't feel sorry for them in the least.  That's one reason why I refuse to buy team memorabilia or go to live games any more.  The product on the field just isn't worth my money.

Being ranked middle off the pack in catching the ball is mediocre which from a professional is awful imo.  They're professionals, and "mediocre" is unacceptable from a professional.  That's one reason why the Jets haven't been to the playoffs in over 10 years.

In addition to the WRs, RBs, and TEs who dropped more than 2 passes, I'll also need to take it up with the QBs who make the lousy throws., and all the HS and collegiate coaches who didn't teach/train their players better.  I realize that some WRs, RBs, and TEs make it into the NFL because they're fast, elusive and/or are good blockers.  Maybe their hand/eye coordination is one of their weaker skills/abilities, but a lot of drops are focus drops.  They hear footsteps or try to run with the ball before they catch it.

I didn't say anything about expecting perfection.  Accepting mediocrity, however, is not acceptable imo.

Making more money should mean that they work harder and fixing their flaws, keep focused on the field, and improve.

It's much harder to hit a baseball than it is to catch a pass thrown right to you

Players have bad years, even great players like Adams.  I think that the year Adams dropped 7 passes, something was going on.  Either he had a hand/finger injury, or something was going on his mind and he wasn't focusing like he was in the year he had only 1 drop.  Still, one can accept a bad year from a player like Adams, who is one of the top WRs in the NFL, but it's another matter from players like Lazard.

Drops and dumb penalties stall drives, take points off the board, and cause losses.

• WTF? 1

On 7/1/2024 at 2:46 PM, Joe W. Namath said:

Nobody knows.  So far, hes pretty good considering his qb situation.  Dropped too many balls last year so he has to clean that up.

Now that he has a real qb throwing him the ball, we will get to find out how good he is.

That's because his QB couldn't shoot straight!

Wilson is a good receiver that any team would want but there are currently a bunch of guys that put up way better numbers. I think it's safe to say that no matter how much Rodgers play falls off, he will be a lot better than what Zach Wilson was. This season will tell us what G. Wilson actually is.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, JKlecko said:

The Jets finishing 16th in drop percentage is awful imo.  While the poor QB play (inaccuracy, poor location, little touch) was probably to blame for a considerable portion of the drops, I think it's pretty inexcusable for a starting NFL WR to drop more than 1-2 passes a season.

What? It’s awful that a team with bottom of the league QB play finished in the middle of the pack in drops? No, it’s not awful. Instead they should be applauded for performing better than expected. 

I bet if you look you can find an actual valid complaint or two about the NY Jets. This, however, isn’t one. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, bicketybam said:

That's one way to look at it until you look at other teams that have trouble scoring TD's and there's a receiver that has more than 3 TD catches.

I guess. With GW I see a guy constantly turning nothing into something and getting more than is there. I really feel like with a QB with a pulse he's going to absolutely thrive.

45 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I guess. With GW I see a guy constantly turning nothing into something and getting more than is there. I really feel like with a QB with a pulse he's going to absolutely thrive.

Nailed it.  He makes plays out of sh*t throws.  He contorts his body to make the play spectacularly...  kind of like D Hopkins used to do when he was young or better.  The TD he got by "intercepting" what was a destined to be a sure interception throw last year was crazy-unreal.  

He is special.  Best draft pick in decades.  I PRAY the Jets don't screw it up and let him go at the end of rookie deal.  Give him a deal at the end of this season....    PLEAAAASE  JD.   

By far.....  my favorite Jet offensive player in eons.  Maybe since Toon.   G5  baby. 

Please don't fk it up, Mr. Joe Douglas.  

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, slats said:

What? It’s awful that a team with bottom of the league QB play finished in the middle of the pack in drops? No, it’s not awful. Instead they should be applauded for performing better than expected. 

I bet if you look you can find an actual valid complaint or two about the NY Jets. This, however, isn’t one. 

IMO it's awful in general.  Yes, last season with the abysmal QB play, it can be understood.  Still, when a ball hits the receiver in the hands or comes right to the perfect catching radius and the WR drops it, it's on him.  I saw quite a few drops last season of that variety.  We'll just have to agree to disagree.

• WTF? 1

On 7/1/2024 at 11:20 AM, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I’m really hoping we can replace the Zach Wilson thread at the top of the forum.

How about Garrett Wilson?  The advanced stats show he is elite in getting open, even though he faced the most double teams .. and had some of the worst QB drag down his numbers.  

Jetsxfactor posted some compelling success stats that show he is at or above the 93%tile on all route concepts except flat routes (is that even a route?).

In fact, he’s in ‘superstar’ company when it comes to winning vs man, press AND zone coverage.

Exciting stuff!  The guy is set up for a MONSTER year provided the rest of the offense stays healthy.  

image.thumb.jpeg.763a3db4852e91f75715e3c2e707dde4.jpeg

We have never had a better or more talented receiver on the team.

So yeah he is pretty good.

• Upvote 1