Countdown to Kickoff

On 7/31/2024 at 11:52 AM, Lith said:

New York Jets BOBBY JACKSON Signed Photo

Day 40, Bobby Jackson.  There are certain plays that stick in my mind, even 40+ years later. I refer to them as the hidden turning point where you don't recognize the significance of a play until much later.  Last drive of the Jets-Phins late season game in Miami in 82.  We are up 2.  Jackson fails to hold an interception on the final drive that led to Uwe Von Schamann's game winning FG.  Jackson holds that pass, Jets run out the last 30 seconds and the Mud Bowl never happens -- game would have been played in Jersey.

Jackson tried to make up for it the next week. with two picks, including a pick 6 and a blocked FG return for a TD against the Vikings to help the Jets clinch a playoff spot.  But that dropped pick was a hidden turning point in the season.

I get to re-live another one of those hidden turning points next week as the Countdown rolls on.

I think I know where you are going next and I’m already getting depressed.😁

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Claymation said:

I thought you might have gone with Johnny Johnson.

Only other real option for today.  At least Allen scored on his big highlight as a Jet.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Lith said:

Day 37.  George Nock

George Nock, Jets RB from 1969-71 & Acclaimed Artist, Dead at 74

After his playing days ended, Nock would go on to be a successful and critically acclaimed artist.

Artist George Nock – October Gallery

Had no idea, this guy was a fairly accomplished artist. What an interesting life.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Lith said:

Jim Leonhard

I thought that was gonna be this weeks Booby Jackson based on his wihiff at the goal line in that Monday night game vs Denver in 2011 that allowed Tebow to drive them down the field and give us a horrific defeat that began our slide that cost us a playoff berth.

• Sympathy 1

19 hours ago, section314 said:

I thought that was gonna be this weeks Booby Jackson based on his wihiff at the goal line in that Monday night game vs Denver in 2011 that allowed Tebow to drive them down the field and give us a horrific defeat that began our slide that cost us a playoff berth.

Nope, still a few more days for the other hidden turning point.  I still think of that season blowing up in the last three weeks.  We got to 8-5 and were in great position to make the playoffs, then collapsed against the Eagles, Giants and Phins.  In my mind, we overcame the Tebow loss with 3 straight wins.

6 hours ago, Dcat said:

#34  Johnny Hector. One of my favorite past Jets. 41 rush TDs and 4200 rush yards over his 10 years with the team.

image.png.648facfc349d892915ef119bf0f8cfca.png

Thats who I would have gone with today if work had not gotten in the way.  It really was either him or Lamont Jordan.  Or I could have gone with Lee White, who fumbled in a pre-season game against the Lions around 1970.  Recovered by a Lions LB and Namath tore up his knee trying to make a tackle.  In a preseason game.  

• More Ugh 1
  • Haha 1

#33 Curley Johnson

Top Jets Punter Curley Johnson, No. 33, Dies

Curley Johnson, a running back, tight end, kickoff man and the first great punter in the history of the New York Titans and Jets, died this afternoon. He was 80.

Johnson had many highlights in his eight Titans and Jets seasons, most dealing with putting instep to ball and helping the Jets with field position all the way through Super Bowl III on Jan. 12, 1969.

John "Curley" Johnson was born in Anna, TX, attended Woodrow Wilson High School in Dallas, and played his college ball at the University of Houston. He was drafted by the Pittsburgh Steelers in the seventh round (77th overall) of the 1957 NFL Draft, but perhaps appropriate for a Lone Star State native, his first pro game action came with the AFL's Dallas Texans in 1960. He actually scored his first pro points on a two-point pass for the Texans against the Titans in '60.

He signed with the Titans as a free agent on Sept. 20, 1961, and started out wearing uniform No. 20, but he swapped that for his trademark 33 in 1963, when the Titans became the Jets and Weeb Ewbank took the head-coaching reins.

• Upvote 3

I can thing of a pair of dishonorable mentions too.  One was on the team last season.  THe other at least harvested a lot of extra draft picks, but cost us a potential starting QB.

11 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I can thing of a pair of dishonorable mentions too.  One was on the team last season.  THe other at least harvested a lot of extra draft picks, but cost us a potential starting QB.

I think that @Lith will choose the Prez.becsuse of the hidden turning point factor. In this case, not just for a season but for a decade, at least.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, section314 said:

I think that @Lith will choose the Prez.becsuse of the hidden turning point factor. In this case, not just for a season but for a decade, at least.

anyone can post any 33 they want.  I posted mine.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, section314 said:

Nope.  For me today is about another safety who wore #33, but at least this guy was a ballhawk with 8 picks in 1970.  A number which has been equaled a couple of times in the 54 seasons since but only surpassed once, by Ty Law who had 10 picks in 2005. 

#33.  WK Hicks.

New Engiand Patriot's Randy Vatah Tackles New York Jet's W.K. Hicks, who  intercepted a pass intended for Vataha in the third quarter on Sunday, Dec.  13, 1971 in New York's Shea Stadium.

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, section314 said:

Nope.  Almost there, but not just yet.

On 8/7/2024 at 9:52 AM, section314 said:

Here it is @section314. AFCCG against Pittsburgh.  We win the toss, elect to kick (which was not done commonly at the time).  3rd and 7 for the Steelers.  Roethlisberger throws one to Emmanuel Sanders that falls incomplete.  We forced a 3 and out, just like Rex had in mind when he chose to kick.  But a late flag comes in.   Penalty on Antonio Cromartie.  Illegal Contact.  Steelers get an automatic first down and the drive continues.  15 plays.  9 + minutes. TD.  Defense is gassed and never quite recovers until the half by which time we are down 21 and the second half rally falls short. 

If that flag had not been thrown on what was a borderline call - I still think we win the game and go to the Super Bowl.  At least I would have loved to see how it would have played out.  Especially since I was sitting in the stands in Pittsburgh that evening.

Day 31.  Antonio Cromartie.

Colts sign cornerback Antonio Cromartie - Stampede Blue

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

36 minutes ago, Lith said:

Here it is @section314. AFCCG against Pittsburgh.  We win the toss, elect to kick (which was not done commonly at the time).  3rd and 7 for the Steelers.  Roethlisberger throws one to Emmanuel Sanders that falls incomplete.  We forced a 3 and out, just like Rex had in mind when he chose to kick.  But a late flag comes in.   Penalty on Antonio Cromartie.  Illegal Contact.  Steelers get an automatic first down and the drive continues.  15 plays.  9 + minutes. TD.  Defense is gassed and never quite recovers until the half by which time we are down 21 and the second half rally falls short. 

If that flag had not been thrown on what was a borderline call - I still think we win the game and go to the Super Bowl.  At least I would have loved to see how it would have played out.  Especially since I was sitting in the stands in Pittsburgh that evening.

Day 31.  Antonio Cromartie.

Colts sign cornerback Antonio Cromartie - Stampede Blue

When we got down to these numbers I knew it had to be Cro.I forgot that early flag.😩Funny, the two Cro plays I will remember both helped us. First, the matador on Shonn Greene’s TD, and then the great kickoff return vs the Colts two games before this one. That Pittsburgh game will never be forgiven. The Colts were better than us the year before. Pittsburgh, no f’in way. Great job.👍👍

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, section314 said:

When we got down to these numbers I knew it had to be Cro.I forgot that early flag.😩Funny, the two Cro plays I will remember both helped us. First, the matador on Shonn Greene’s TD, and then the great kickoff return vs the Colts two games before this one. That Pittsburgh game will never be forgiven. The Colts were better than us the year before. Pittsburgh, no f’in way. Great job.👍👍

I will never forget that early flag and the rest of that first drive.  Steelers physically beat us up.  Which I didn't think would happen.  What a rough night.  Worst part was the shuttle bus ride back to the Hotel after the loss.  Me and my son wearing green on a bus full of Steeler fans.  And they weren't loud or rowdy.  No excitement in the air.  It was quiet.  Just another win.  And another trip to the Super Bowl.  They were used to it. 

I just can't imagine what a busload of Jet fans would be like after a win in the AFCCG.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

• Lith featured and unfeatured this topic