Olu Fashanu - Tape ≠ PFF

bla bla bla

1 hour ago, jetsons said:

neither were they minus plays. 

That is an opinion that I do not share.  If a defensive end does what that guy did to Olu on 22% of pass rushes it is apparently worth $51M.

When Kyle Wilson got beat and the receiver dropped the ball, it was still a minus play in my eyes.

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

That is an opinion that I do not share.  If a defensive end does what that guy did to Olu on 22% of pass rushes it is apparently worth $51M.

When Kyle Wilson got beat and the receiver dropped the ball, it was still a minus play in my eyes.

This.  I like Olu and can’t stand PFF, but they are  usually pretty damn good when it comes to grading the OL.  People need to remember that PFF grades the player as an individual.  Fashanu didn't give up a sack or put Rodgers in a predicament by any stretch of the imagination, but he did get beat and Aaron’s quick release, as well as his movement, prevented that more than anything.  If a guy gets beat, he still got beat, but everyone gets beat every now and then.  If he sucks a** this week, then I will worry.

Of course context matters and I’m not going to crush a guy who came in ice cold, during a blowout, for a handful of plays, but his tape needs to be cleaner against Denver.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

This.  I like Olu and can’t stand PFF, but they are  usually pretty damn good when it comes to grading the OL.  People need to remember that PFF grades the player as an individual.  Fashanu didn't give up a sack or put Rodgers in a predicament by any stretch of the imagination, but he did get beat and Aaron’s quick release, as well as his movement, prevented that more than anything.  If a guy gets beat, he still go beat and everyone gets beat every now and then.  If he sucks a** this week, then I will worry.

Of course context matters and I’m not going to crush a guy who came in ice cold, during a blowout, for a handful of plays, but his tape needs to be cleaner against Denver.

The first pressure he gave up, the problem was that rodgers was rolling to his right and also the defender’s momentum was carrying him there as well.  If rodgers had stayed in the pocket the pass rusher wouldn not have pressured him.  

3 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Considering how bad you are at critical observation you’re probably wrong about your personal attack. 

Simply put those two plays and the small sample size are enough reason to understand the PFF score. Olu wasn’t bad though he just got out maneuvered in his first appearance as a professional. Things have nuance and levels and can be evaluated as such. 

lol, 🤡🤡🤡

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

agree to disagree.

Just finished all 22 and Olu was nothing special in pass pro IMO.  

As is often the case with Rogers, the ball was out immediately, meaning Olu barely came in to contact with the guy he was across from. 

When he did have to allow some time and put work in he was meh.

Having a rookie play out of position to protect your HOF 40 y/o QB?  Not my favorite thing ever.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, bitonti said:

does anyone remember the Olu Fashanu hand size debate? I wonder if that comes more into play down the line

I still don't understand the hand size debate.  Someone will have to explain that to me.  Hand size matters with quarterbacks and wide receivers.  Throwing the ball, and catching the ball.  Even running with the ball, and not fumbling.

I get that offensive linemen put their hands on opposing players, but for me, this is not a major issue compared to other measurables.

48 minutes ago, Alka said:

I still don't understand the hand size debate.  Someone will have to explain that to me.  Hand size matters with quarterbacks and wide receivers.  Throwing the ball, and catching the ball.  Even running with the ball, and not fumbling.

I get that offensive linemen put their hands on opposing players, but for me, this is not a major issue compared to other measurables.

It’s technique, hand quickness and placement that are important 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, AFJF said:

Just finished all 22 and Olu was nothing special in pass pro IMO.  

As is often the case with Rogers, the ball was out immediately, meaning Olu barely came in to contact with the guy he was across from. 

When he did have to allow some time and put work in he was meh.

Having a rookie play out of position to protect your HOF 40 y/o QB?  Not my favorite thing ever.

It was his first time playing in an actual game and all his reps have been at LT so he had to get adjusted with the footwork 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

It was his first time playing in an actual game and all his reps have been at LT so he had to get adjusted with the footwork 

He actually worked at right tackle for a couple of weeks in camp before playing there in a preseason game for this very reason.  To have him "ready" at either spot.

Even still, I was just pointing out the fact that a poor grade shouldn't be all that surprising based on the film.

14 hours ago, Mogglez said:

This.  I like Olu and can’t stand PFF, but they are  usually pretty damn good when it comes to grading the OL.  People need to remember that PFF grades the player as an individual.  Fashanu didn't give up a sack or put Rodgers in a predicament by any stretch of the imagination, but he did get beat and Aaron’s quick release, as well as his movement, prevented that more than anything.  If a guy gets beat, he still got beat, but everyone gets beat every now and then.  If he sucks a** this week, then I will worry.

I'm guessing the bad PFF grade is based upon the pass rush reps where he stopped moving his feet, but like you, I'm chalking it up to first game jitters and inexperience at RT (for now). 

• Post of the Week 1