Jets consider 'Bama QB

jamesAngleton

http://northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxMTkmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTY5MjQ3ODMmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

With all the Leinart-Young-Cutler talk, Jets fans will want to hear the name of a quarterback selected by their team on the first day of the draft Saturday.

And they just might. But Gang Green may not choose that QB until after 5 p.m.

The Jets' new brain trust – general manager Mike Tannenbaum, coach Eric Mangini, offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer and draft director Jesse Kaye – has done its due diligence scouting the Big Three: Matt Leinart, Vince Young and Jay Cutler.

But in between, they also have done their homework on the second-tier QBs. They feel that their 29th and 35th overall selections will present them with great value. And perhaps that No. 35, third in the second round early Saturday evening, will be spent on the Jets' next "quarterback of the future."

The leading contender there is Alabama's Brodie Croyle. In fact, Croyle concluded his predraft visits Friday with a visit to Jets' officials in New York

A prerequisite to playing quarterback for the Jets is at that you must have had at least three broken bones, two surgeries, a torn achilles, no throwing shoulder, a cocaine addiction, a lack of talent, 21 years of experience at the NFL level, or have been a quarterback's coach before actually playing quarterback at the NFL level.

So, yeah. It makes perfect sense why Brodie Croyle is on the Jets' radar.

get an extra 2nd and take cutler at 7.

I agree on trading down and getting the extra pick but I wouldn't take Cutler at #7. If we get Ngata at #7 and Carpenter or Lawson at #29 we can get Croyle at #35 and Marcus Mcneil at #38. that would be a darn good draft. Croyle is a good QB.

How much better is Cutler than Croyle?

how would would you compare these 2?

Cutler has better physique than Croyle without a doubt..

I love Croyle but I am uncertain if he is able to gain 20 lbs within a year before challenging the starting spot for 2007 after Jets pass on re signing Ramsey and Pennington is canned.. Croyle has been around 200 lbs for 5 years.. OUCH!

Croyle's mind is way better than Cutler and may get ready to go once he gets feeling with his future receivers.. Cutler may take some time to fit in.

Mind vs Physique. Your call.

mind...

take Croyle at 35..OR with an extra pick if we trade down.

We need

OT, NT, RB, QB, OLB/DE (not in any order) with our first 5 picks...

trade down so the first 5 are within the first 2 rounds.

Cutler has better physique than Croyle without a doubt..

I love Croyle but I am uncertain if he is able to gain 20 lbs within a year before challenging the starting spot for 2007 after Jets pass on re signing Ramsey and Pennington is canned.. Croyle has been around 200 lbs for 5 years.. OUCH!

Croyle's mind is way better than Cutler and may get ready to go once he gets feeling with his future receivers.. Cutler may take some time to fit in.

Mind vs Physique. Your call.

It is funny you mention Croyle's lack of build, which by the way is a legitimate concern but look at Brady's Scouting report on his weakness:

http://archive.profootballweekly.com/content/archives/draft_1999/scoutingreports_qb.asp#QB%20TOM%20BRADY

Negatives: Poor build. Very skinny and narrow. Ended the

I agree on trading down and getting the extra pick but I wouldn't take Cutler at #7. If we get Ngata at #7 and Carpenter or Lawson at #29 we can get Croyle at #35 and Marcus Mcneil at #38. that would be a darn good draft. Croyle is a good QB.
Croyle SUCKS this kid is a bag of bones!!! he's gonna get killed at the next level a.k.a david carr. And he already has been threw the ringer with injurys.Can anyone say penny2 . take Charlie W in the 3rd not this crash test dummy. :bag:

One scout, I forget which one, said that Croyle's zip on football is coming from his quick arm motion not arm strength itself..

I hope when he works on bulking up to him he works on arm strength as well... cant afford to see him lose some zip on football due to physique getting bigger.

Hope their trainer knows what to do for Jets' sake.

If Jets are skeptical about his physique then Jets should take Quinton Porter in 7th round or sign him as rookie FA....

Croyle SUCKS this kid is a bag of bones!!! he's gonna get killed at the next level a.k.a david carr. And he already has been threw the ringer with injurys.Can anyone say penny2 . take Charlie W in the 3rd not this crash test dummy. :bag:

Dude, David Carr is one of the most durable QB's (even more so with that pathetic OLine) in the entire NFL.

He played all 16 games in 2002, 2004 and 2005.

He missed 4 games in 2003 due to injury.

That's 60/64 games started in 4 years.

You should have compared him to PennyBoyWonder if you think Croyle is fragile.;)

Archived