Eric Mangini is The Anti-Herm

YJF

This is from www.newyorkjets.com

{ERIC MANGINI}

I enjoy doing that. I enjoy coaching. I enjoy teaching. I enjoy helping the players get better. I think in any area that I can help them get better, I'm going to. Maybe offensively, giving some insight into how defenses operate, how they attack them, the technique they play, that type of thing. Defensively giving some insight into the way I've done things and the way I envision things. I think it's important they hear from me,

The Jets could be held back by talent.

The Jets could sustain awful injuries; several teams often do.

But nobody will outwork them. They will be in shape,even at the 60th minute of Week 17. They will play smart and be football-savvy. And they have a solid plan in place and a guy who knows what he's doing and is focused on what matters. I understand that this team may make great progress in 2006 and still not win many games. But for the first time in a long time they're headed in the right direction.

Best stat of the minicamp-Mangini was 20 minutes late for a press briefing.

The Jets could be held back by talent.

The Jets could sustain awful injuries; several teams often do.

But nobody will outwork them. They will be in shape,even at the 60th minute of Week 17. They will play smart and be football-savvy. And they have a solid plan in place and a guy who knows what he's doing and is focused on what matters. I understand that this team may make great progress in 2006 and still not win many games. But for the first time in a long time they're headed in the right direction.

Best stat of the minicamp-Mangini was 20 minutes late for a press briefing.

Quite honestly, in the NFL, you can win 7-8 games with hard work if you don't have talent. It's not like the best team in the NFL is that much more talented than the worst, but we're not even the worst. We're at the worst, bottom third of the league in talent in all honesty. Yes, we can't compete with the top teams, that upper echelon. We'd have to play a perfect game against those teams, and even then, we'd need to be lucky. But for that third of the league that is comparable to us, and that third of the league just one level above us, we can compete with them.

I like Mangini, but come on, this guy hasn't done squat as a head coach in the NFL yet and some people are talking like he just won the Super Bowl.

If can take a 4-12 team and build them into a championship team that goes further than what Herm did, he gets my vote.

BZ

Quite honestly, in the NFL, you can win 7-8 games with hard work if you don't have talent. It's not like the best team in the NFL is that much more talented than the worst, but we're not even the worst. We're at the worst, bottom third of the league in talent in all honesty. Yes, we can't compete with the top teams, that upper echelon. We'd have to play a perfect game against those teams, and even then, we'd need to be lucky. But for that third of the league that is comparable to us, and that third of the league just one level above us, we can compete with them.

True. Point being that it's plausible this team could make great progress and still have a lousy record. Or it could jump up and with 8 or 9 games.

I love how Eric Mangini is already a hall of fame coach to some people. The guy who gets coffee for Bill Belichick could get a job in the NFL as a head coach.

Mangini didn't really distinguish himself as a defensive coordinator in the one season with NE. Did he get a chance to learn from Belichick? Sure but not everyone who works with a great coach becomes a great coach himself. Ray Handley was a bad. Dave Wannstedt wasn't a terrible coach but not a good one either. Al Groh didn't do a good job here before he alienated all his players and ran out of town like a bitch.

Mangini really got on the good side with Jets' management when he recommended to Terry Bradway that they pick up Ben Graham. I guess that's all it takes now to get a HC job in the NFL. Work for someone successful and recommend a punter to an inept franchise.

I love how Eric Mangini is already a hall of fame coach to some people. The guy who gets coffee for Bill Belichick could get a job in the NFL as a head coach.

Mangini didn't really distinguish himself as a defensive coordinator in the one season with NE. Did he get a chance to learn from Belichick? Sure but not everyone who works with a great coach becomes a great coach himself. Ray Handley was a bad. Dave Wannstedt wasn't a terrible coach but not a good one either. Al Groh didn't do a good job here before he alienated all his players and ran out of town like a bitch.

Mangini really got on the good side with Jets' management when he recommended to Terry Bradway that they pick up Ben Graham. I guess that's all it takes now to get a HC job in the NFL. Work for someone successful and recommend a punter to an inept franchise.

Ray Handley and Dave Wannstedt had good records as coordinators before getting hired as head coaches. Eric Mangini was the defensive coordinator for the Patriots for exactly one year. The Patriots defense was not successful under Mangini (who called every defensive play). Under Mangini, the Patriots were 26th in total defense, 31st in pass defense and 31st in defensive takeaways.

Hie entire resume consists of (1) I coached under Bill Bellichek and (2) I interned with Mike Tannenbaum. Jets have the weakest coaching staff, from top to bottom of any team in the AFC East.

Ray Handley and Dave Wannstedt had good records as coordinators before getting hired as head coaches. Eric Mangini was the defensive coordinator for the Patriots for exactly one year. The Patriots defense was not successful under Mangini (who called every defensive play). Under Mangini, the Patriots were 26th in total defense, 31st in pass defense and 31st in defensive takeaways.

Hie entire resume consists of (1) I coached under Bill Bellichek and (2) I interned with Mike Tannenbaum. Jets have the weakest coaching staff, from top to bottom of any team in the AFC East.

In all fairness to Mangini the Pats did have some injuries last year. However, even with all that the Pats' D could have been better. They played the Jets and Bills 4 games last year and they still finished 26th in Defense? A quarter of their games were played against two horrific offenses and they still finished near the bottom of the NFL in defense. That should tell you something.

Hey, maybe Mangini will turn out to be this amazing coach like people are making him out to be but Jets fans should really come back down to planet earth with this guy.

Mangini will put the best players out there on the field regardless of name and status- that is what I want to see

Lets give the weakest coaching staff a game to evaluate them huh

Ok, Time to analyze what you just stated.

I just wrote an article on the main site that stated that I don't expect The Jets to be very good in 2006. So I am not someone who is putting anyone in canton yet.

Here we go with crazy logic again. Mangini didn't get his job because he recommended a punter. You are lost. Your other comments were halfway decent up until you put your foot in your mouth.

I'd say The Pats d played excellent against Jacksonville and Denver in the playoffs. Shut those two teams down.

I like the way that The Jets new football operation is being run and I like Mangini's background and pedigree. You say coffee, I say 11 years with one of the greatest coaches in NFL history and 3 superbowl rings.

It's you Mr. Negative vs me, Mr. Realist.

Will things work out here with Mangini and Tannenbuam? I don't know. That remains to be seen. I am not saying one way or the other. But I like the direction that the franchise has taken thus far and the new head coach is the perfect replacement for a head coach who was a strong leader in Herman Edwards but was a weak gameday coach who didn't put enough pressure on his players or coaches to study or perform.

What The Jets got in Eric Mangini is a brilliant football teacher and brilliant football mind and he brings with him a certain way of doing things that has proven to be successful in this league.

Anti Herm... Herm came at his job from a player perspective, Mangini comes at a job from a teachers perspective. Edwards formula worked at times and he was exposed at other times by his flaws. We don't know what type of leader Eric Mangini is going to turn out to be.... We will find out the next few years but don't question his football smarts. This isn't a freaking coffee guy. If you really truly believe that. You need to start paying attention. You are lost.

Ok

It's you Mr. Negative vs me, Mr. Realist.

Anti Herm... Herm came at his job from a player perspective, Mangini comes at a job from a teachers perspective. Edwards formula worked at times and he was exposed at other times by his flaws. We don't know what type of leader Eric Mangini is going to turn out to be.... We will find out the next few years but don't question his football smarts. This isn't a freaking coffee guy. If you really truly believe that. You need to start paying attention. You are lost.

Hey I thought I was one of the few "Realists" around here??:eek: BTW what was Hermie's formula?? I'm BBQ'ing some chicken tonight so I could really use it!:D

I stated this when The Jets hired Eric Mangini. The Jets hired him a year before everyone else was going to. He was probably a year away from being a head coach but make no mistake about it. He was on the path to being a head coach in this league. I loved the hire and have been raving about him since he was with us as an assistant.

As far as Mangini's performance last year as a defensive coordinator. The Pats suffered alot of injuries early on last year and got much better at seasons end. They were excellent down the stretch and shut down two teams in Jacksonville and Denver in the playoffs. He was only going to get better.

Mangini has been a coach in The NFL for 11 years and he's been apart of winning football teams. He's Belichick's guy. Almost like his football son. Did you see how Belichick ran to him during a wildcard playoff game and hugged him. Mangini and BB disagreed on a call and Eric's call led to an interception for a TD. Belichick was so proud of his pupil. Eric's got 3 superbowl rings now and he's worked with two of the games greatest in Parcells and Belichick. Mangini has paid his dues and earned his stripes. One of the best kept secrets in the coaching game. When Romeo finally got his chance with Cleveland. He tried to get Mangini to come with him and Saban in Miami made the move for Eric. Eric stayed right where he was.

Eric's relationship with Mike Tannenbaum was a key in getting him this Jets job. They go back all the way to Cleveland. Plus they are great friends. They both are young guys who worked under and learned from some great football minds.

If Eric doesn't work out as a head coach here with The Jets. It won't be because of his football smarts. It won't be because of lack of attention to detail. The question marks with Eric as a young head coach is whether or not, He can be a leader of an entire football team.

I am not trying to kill Edwards. Mangini is the anti Herm in that, He is a great teacher. Edwards was more of a moral support/hands off kind of coach. His deal was energy and passion. He let his coaches coach and trusted his players. That's a nice working environment. Mangini is installing an operation where no stones will be left unturned. It's the way he was brought up. Edwards worked from an emotional standpoint. Mangini works from a mental standpoint. I prefer that type of football team.

I stated this when The Jets hired Eric Mangini. The Jets hired him a year before everyone else was going to. He was probably a year away from being a head coach but make no mistake about it. He was on the path to being a head coach in this league. I loved the hire and have been raving about him since he was with us as an assistant.

As far as Mangini's performance last year as a defensive coordinator. The Pats suffered alot of injuries early on last year and got much better at seasons end. They were excellent down the stretch and shut down two teams in Jacksonville and Denver in the playoffs. He was only going to get better.

Mangini has been a coach in The NFL for 11 years and he's been apart of winning football teams. He's Belichick's guy. Almost like his football son. Did you see how Belichick ran to him during a wildcard playoff game and hugged him. Mangini and BB disagreed on a call and Eric's call led to an interception for a TD. Belichick was so proud of his pupil. Eric's got 3 superbowl rings now and he's worked with two of the games greatest in Parcells and Belichick. Mangini has paid his dues and earned his stripes. One of the best kept secrets in the coaching game. When Romeo finally got his chance with Cleveland. He tried to get Mangini to come with him and Saban in Miami made the move for Eric. Eric stayed right where he was.

Eric's relationship with Mike Tannenbaum was a key in getting him this Jets job. They go back all the way to Cleveland. Plus they are great friends. They both are young guys who worked under and learned from some great football minds.

If Eric doesn't work out as a head coach here with The Jets. It won't be because of his football smarts. It won't be because of lack of attention to detail. The question marks with Eric as a young head coach is whether or not, He can be a leader of an entire football team.

I am not trying to kill Edwards. Mangini is the anti Herm in that, He is a great teacher. Edwards was more of a moral support/hands off kind of coach. His deal was energy and passion. He let his coaches coach and trusted his players. That's a nice working environment. Mangini is installing an operation where no stones will be left unturned. It's the way he was brought up. Edwards worked from an emotional standpoint. Mangini works from a mental standpoint. I prefer that type of football team.

How perfectly said.

Hey I thought I was one of the few "Realists" around here??:eek: BTW what was Hermie's formula?? I'm BBQ'ing some chicken tonight so I could really use it!:D

LOL

I think Edwards is a players coach. He creates a positive working evironment and players and coaches for the most part love him. He's an energetic guy. Herm loves the game and he loves the players. Edwards has football knowledge but not to the point where he can be a great teacher. Edwards was more of a leader than a teacher and deep down inside, he knows that. That's why he relied so heavily on others to do their jobs in that department.

Herm's approach could work and it did sometimes with The Jets. He was the perfect departure from Al Groh. Everyone hated Groh. Alot of times NFL teams replace their head coaches with someone who is totally opposite.

Mangini is totally opposite from Edwards.

Mangini didn't really distinguish himself as a defensive coordinator in the one season with NE.

Obviously, you have no clue what you are talking about.

What Mangini did with that patch-work secondary last year was tremendous.

Once Seymour came back, the Pats defense was playing excellent down the stretch.

Also, who was responsible for the Pats 2-5 defense against the Eagles in the Super Bowl.

I'll give you a hint, it wasn't Bill Belichick.;)

See, it's comments like that Eric Mangini is a "brilliant football teacher" and a "brilliant football mind" that bother me. The guy has done nothing as a HC yet and already he is being labeled as this amazing person. Talk about getting carried away.

I understand he has this great relationship with Bill Belichek but that doesn't necessarily mean he's going to be a good coach. Al Groh had a nice relationship with Bill Parcells. I'm sure Jimmy Johnson considered Dave Wannstedt his "football son." Ray Handley had plenty of opportunities to learn from Bill Parcells.

The truth is, and I'm being the realist here because I actually saw a lot NE's games last year, you could tell they missed having Romeo Crennel. The Pats did have injuries last year but they had injuries the years prior. What they had lost on defense was that foot in the ass that Romeo was. Mangini's age did work against him a little bit in the fear and respect factors. A quarter of their games were played against the Jets and Bills, two horrific offenses, and they only finished 26th in total defense? Something doesn't add up.

For a guy who didn't do a great job as a defensive coordinator and hasn't done anything yet as a HC Eric Mangini sure does get a lot of hype.

Once Seymour came back, the Pats defense was playing excellent down the stretch.

Also, who was responsible for the Pats 2-5 defense against the Eagles in the Super Bowl.

This is why I love TX. Nothing gets by him. One of the most knowledgeable football posters on the entire internet.

TX is a die hard Pats fan and he could very easily kill Mangini if he wanted to because he's no longer there. Most fans do that. Guys leave their team and then they turn on that person. TX deals with reality and the truth.

Most Pats fans who have their pats glasses on would say, Oh yeah It was all Belichick's defense and Mangini was getting coffee.

Since TX is not like most fans. He tells it like it is. Very easy for him to be biased. This is why, He's the best poster here because most Jets are either way too negative and unrealistic or are way too positive and unrealistic.

This is why I love TX. Nothing gets by him. One of the most knowledgeable football posters on the entire internet.

TX is a die hard Pats fan and he could very easily kill Mangini if he wanted to because he's no longer there. Most fans do that. Guys leave their team and then they turn on that person. TX deals with reality and the truth.

Most Pats fans who have their pats glasses on would say, Oh yeah It was all Belichick's defense and Mangini was getting coffee.

Since TX is not like most fans. He tells it like it is. Very easy for him to be biased. This is why, He's the best poster here because most Jets are either way too negative and unrealistic or are way too positive and unrealistic.

Tex was the other Realist I was referring to before!!:cheers:

See, it's comments like that Eric Mangini is a "brilliant football teacher" and a "brilliant football mind" that bother me. The guy has done nothing as a HC yet and already he is being labeled as this amazing person. Talk about getting carried away.

I understand he has this great relationship with Bill Belichek but that doesn't necessarily mean he's going to be a good coach. Al Groh had a nice relationship with Bill Parcells. I'm sure Jimmy Johnson considered Dave Wannstedt his "football son." Ray Handley had plenty of opportunities to learn from Bill Parcells.

The truth is, and I'm being the realist here because I actually saw a lot NE's games last year, you could tell they missed having Romeo Crennel. The Pats did have injuries last year but they had injuries the years prior. What they had lost on defense was that foot in the ass that Romeo was. Mangini's age did work against him a little bit in the fear and respect factors. A quarter of their games were played against the Jets and Bills, two horrific offenses, and they only finished 26th in total defense? Something doesn't add up.

For a guy who didn't do a great job as a defensive coordinator and hasn't done anything yet as a HC Eric Mangini sure does get a lot of hype.

But Mangini is a brilliant football mind. All you have to do to figure that out is pay attention to his career the last 11 years. I have. I'd say this about him if he was the head coach for The Cardinals. I paid attention to everything that went on in New England and here with The Jets. I am fully aware of what his duties were and what he was responsible for.

Don't ask me. Ask those like TX who are fully aware of everything that Mangini did while he was teaching/coaching in New England.

I don't know if Mangini going to be a great head coach. That remains to be seen. I know this however. He won't leave any stones unturned. He's going to be hands on and the team is going to prepared from a mental standpoint every week.

Trust me, Mangini had the respect of his players. They all raved about him.

But Mangini is a brilliant football mind. All you have to do to figure that out is pay attention to his career the last 11 years. I have. I'd say this about him if he was the head coach for The Cardinals. I paid attention to everything that went on in New England and here with The Jets. I am fully aware of what his duties were and what he was responsible for.

Don't ask me. Ask those like TX who are fully aware of everything that Mangini did while he was teaching/coaching in New England.

I don't know if Mangini going to be a great head coach. That remains to be seen. I know this however. He won't leave any stones unturned. He's going to be hands on and the team is going to prepared from a mental standpoint every week.

Trust me, Mangini had the respect of his players. They all raved about him.

Well said YJF!! Mangini=The Crown Prince from the Tuna/BB School of Football! Hermie= The Clown Prince from the Tags Minority School of BBQ and Flim Flamery! :yahoo:

Well said YJF!! Mangini=The Crown Prince from the Tuna/BB School of Football! Hermie= The Clown Prince from the Tags Minority School of BBQ and Flim Flamery! :yahoo:

LOL

YJF = Smartest poster on this message board.;)

I'm really proud of the Boy Tex..I think we are raising him right!!:cheers:

I remember when YJF started posting on another (to be nameless) Jets message board.

His first few posts were done with him wearing his green-colored glasses and a glass of green kool aide by his side.:eek:

Over time, he has become one of the most objective Jet posters on either message board.

YJF knows tha game of football.

I remember when YJF started posting on another (to be nameless) Jets message board.

His first few posts were done with him wearing his green-colored glasses and a glass of green kool aide by his side.:eek:

Over time, he has become one of the most objective Jet posters on either message board.

YJF knows tha game of football.

Thanks TX.

Just what I need, a nice-weather Pats fan telling me Eric Mangini is the second coming because he set up a defense that stopped a seriously injured TO and Donovan McNabb suffering from the flu.

Just what I need, a nice-weather Pats fan telling me Eric Mangini is the second coming because he set up a defense that stopped a seriously injured TO and Donovan McNabb suffering from the flu.

At least you are consistent with your dumbass comments.

The only "flu" that McNabb had in that Super Bowl was the intestinal fortitude kind.

And BTW, didn't TO have over 100 yards receiving in that game?

At least you are consistent with your dumbass comments.

The only "flu" that McNabb had in that Super Bowl was the intestinal fortitude kind.

And BTW, didn't TO have over 100 yards receiving in that game?

122 on 9 receptions Tex!!;)

122 on 9 receptions Tex!!;)

Savage,

Keep in mind, the Pats played 80% man-to-man coverage in that game with a 2-5 front. (BTW, for PeterNorth & Friends, that was Mangini's defensive gameplan;) ).

Usually, the Pats play 80% zone coverage.

They gave TO all the short corssing patterns which McNabb and TO took full advantage of. They were not going to let him burn them deep.

TO had an excellent game. I'm just very happy he didn't break a long one.

Archived