Can The Tigers Win The AL Central?

The Gun Of Bavaria

Now I know we're talking about one of the weakest divisions in baseball here, but I'm interested to hear what you non Tigers fans think of the Tigers chances of winning the AL Central.

Their offense should be very good and if you can believe it is quietly being placed in the preseason top 5 amongst some sportswriters.

Their defense should be very good, with their only suspect being Alex Sanchez in CF.

The rotation: Bonderman, Robertson and Ledezma will do well I think. Maroth will allow the Tigers offense to win games and Jason Johnson.....well I hope Trammel has a remote control for his insulin pump.

The Bullpen remainds the achilles heel of the Tigers. Percival and Farnsworth make a nice addition to the setup and closing roles, but long and middle relief remains scary. Former rotation guy Knotts will do ok as a long reliever and spot starter, while uncertainty faces Rodney, German, Walker and the unknowns who end up making the club.

U may think I'm nuts, but I think the Tigers take the Central.

I think the AL Central is going to be a three team race between the Twins, Tigers, and Indians.

If Santana keeps up what he did after last year's All Star Break, I don't think the other two teams are strong enough to overtake Minnesota. However, if Johan is proved human, the division should be up for grabs. The Twins should also benefit from a healthy Joe Mauer.

To me the question marks remain in the pitching staff- can your young pitchers continue to improve like Maroth and Bonderman. In this case it might hurt not to have a steady but not spectacular guy that is a veteran in the rotation. Middle relief will still probably be a problem. Offensively it looks pretty solid lineup with Ordonez healthy.

Twins have Mauer healthy - interested to see if he is as good as the hype he has gotten

It can happen. And I hope it does.

Minn really needs Johan to repeat what he did last year. Being that good again is going to be tough.

The Tigers are probably another year away though even if the young kids pan out.

It can happen. And I hope it does.

Minn really needs Johan to repeat what he did last year. Being that good again is going to be tough.

The Tigers are probably another year away though even if the young kids pan out.

Johan is that good.

The Tigers and Indians can challenge for the division as the Twins let some players walk although they always seem to have a Major League ready replacement.

Justin Morneau should have a monster year if he can shake off his off season illness.

Archived