Branch Upset and Holding Out

raffyD

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5691014

Upset over deal, Branch skips Patriots camp

Associated Press

Posted: 26 minutes ago

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. (AP) - Deion Branch, the 2005 Super Bowl MVP, stayed away from the New England Patriots mandatory minicamp on Tuesday because he is upset with his contract.

The team's top wide receiver, in the final year of a five-year contract he signed after New England drafted him in the second round in 2002, would like an extension.

"I'm not going to talk about anybody who's not here," coach Bill Belichick said.

Branch was the MVP in the 2005 Super Bowl, the Patriots third title in four seasons. He caught 11 passes for 133 yards in the championship game against Philadelphia.

But he was absent when the Patriots held their first session of the minicamp, which ends Thursday.

"Obviously, it's tough not having him here, but that's the business," quarterback Tom Brady said. "That gives us a chance to really work on other things." The Patriots lost their No. 2 wide receiver in the offseason when David Givens signed as a free agent with Tennessee. Without Branch, the Patriots top two wide receivers appear to be Troy Brown and Reche Caldwell, who left San Diego as a free agent after last season. Last year, All-Pro defensive lineman Richard Seymour stayed out of minicamps. He eventually reported for training camp and eventually signed a long-term deal

Associated Press

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. (AP) - Deion Branch, the 2005 Super Bowl MVP, stayed away from the New England Patriots mandatory minicamp on Tuesday because he is upset with his contract.

The team's top wide receiver, in the final year of a five-year contract he signed after New England drafted him in the second round in 2002, would like an extension.

"I'm not going to talk about anybody who's not here," coach Bill Belichick said.

Branch was the MVP in the 2005 Super Bowl, the Patriots third title in four seasons. He caught 11 passes for 133 yards in the championship game against Philadelphia.

But he was absent when the Patriots held their first session of the minicamp, which ends Thursday.

"Obviously, it's tough not having him here, but that's the business," quarterback Tom Brady said. "That gives us a chance to really work on other things." The Patriots lost their No. 2 wide receiver in the offseason when David Givens signed as a free agent with Tennessee. Without Branch, the Patriots top two wide receivers appear to be Troy Brown and Reche Caldwell, who left San Diego as a free agent after last season. Last year, All-Pro defensive lineman Richard Seymour stayed out of minicamps. He eventually reported for training camp and eventually signed a long-term deal

Look out rookies, Cindy wants some fresh meats!

It's already happening the Patsie's are fallin apart ,don't worry TX ,2nd or 3rd place in the AFC ain't that bad :eek:

Seeing that you're a Jets fan, I don't know how you would have any idea what finishing 2nd or 3rd in the AFC would feel like. :Nuts:

Associated Press

Branch apparently learned nothing from Lawyer Milloy a few years ago. I guess Buffalo is getting a new receiver this year.

Associated Press

This is exactly the same thing that happened to Seymour last year and he was rewarded with a very lucrative contract extension.

The Pats will reward Branch as well.

This is nothing more than the business side of football being played out.

This is exactly the same thing that happened to Seymour last year and he was rewarded with a very lucrative contract extension.

The Pats will reward Branch as well.

This is nothing more than the business side of football being played out.

Unfortunately TX is right, this is exactly what happened with Seymour. I think the same thing happens with Branch that happened to Seymour, i.e. lucrative long term contract. There's no way the Pats let Branch get away, that would truly be the straw that broke the camels back.

Unfortunately TX is right, this is exactly what happened with Seymour. I think the same thing happens with Branch that happened to Seymour, i.e. lucrative long term contract. There's no way the Pats let Branch get away, that would truly be the straw that broke the camels back.

Couple things:

1). The Pats are one of the top 3 teams with money remaining to spend against the cap.

2). Losing Givens puts a little more pressure on the Pats to resign Branch.

3). My guess is Branch will be signed, sealed and delivered before the start of training camp, just like Seymour was last year.

4). You guys really think it is a big deal when a vet misses a mini-camp?:eek:

Couple things:

1). The Pats are one of the top 3 teams with money remaining to spend against the cap.

2). Losing Givens puts a little more pressure on the Pats to resign Branch.

3). My guess is Branch will be signed, sealed and delivered before the start of training camp, just like Seymour was last year.

4). You guys really think it is a big deal when a vet misses a mini-camp?:eek:

Have a point there PatsFanTx Johnny Abe never even showed up until he had to- the dedicated player that he was

Branch is not by any means an elite NFL receiver. He is good, but not amongs6t the greats. If he is looking for great money he'll have another thing coming to them. He is very good with Brady as a QB in that system, but by no means irreplaceable. If he were the #1 go to guy on just about any other team he would be a middle of the road receiver.

Call me crazy, but although I think Branch is terrific, I don't think he is all that. Sure, he runs great routes, manages to get seperation and has sure hands (damn, he is good!) - but that whole falling down when he is about to get hit just bugs me. I understand it - he's a midget - but there is just something about falling down and assuming the fetal position that irks me.

Branch is not by any means an elite NFL receiver. He is good, but not amongs6t the greats. If he is looking for great money he'll have another thing coming to them. He is very good with Brady as a QB in that system, but by no means irreplaceable. If he were the #1 go to guy on just about any other team he would be a middle of the road receiver.

Booz, as usual, I agree with you.

Branch is not, and never will be, an elite #1 WR in the NFL.

However, with the loss of Givens, the Pats have to lock this guy up.

He may not be the next TO, but he makes huge plays and has great hands.

Can't ask for anything more than that.

Booz, as usual, I agree with you.

Branch is not, and never will be, an elite #1 WR in the NFL.

However, with the loss of Givens, the Pats have to lock this guy up.

He may not be the next TO, but he makes huge plays and has great hands.

Can't ask for anything more than that.

He has some Steve Smith in him. A short guy that delivers. In an offense that distributes the ball, all other receivers disappear for weeks, to include Givens, by putting up a string of 2 catches-21 yard games, but Branch seems to always be in the thick of things.

He might not be a proto-type size, but he is a legit #1.

HOLY CHIT...and you call us delusional...no friggin way to compare him to SMITH...

He has some Steve Smith in him. A short guy that delivers. In an offense that distributes the ball, all other receivers disappear for weeks, to include Givens, by putting up a string of 2 catches-21 yard games, but Branch seems to always be in the thick of things.

He might not be a proto-type size, but he is a legit #1.

I

Have a point there PatsFanTx Johnny Abe never even showed up until he had to- the dedicated player that he was

More 'any-player-no-longer-a-Jet" is garbage. John Abraham never missed a day of training, OTA's or minicamps he was obligated to attend in his entire career. He was not under contract last year and did not sign his contract until late in the trainig camp like most other franchised player.

He was never a holdout and was lied to by the Jets front office. Quite different than a player UNDER contract who holds out.

Branch/ Smith comparisons:

They both have great hands.

They both "showboat" after a TD (although Branch no longer does/has toned it down - Smith has brought the celebration up a notch - should be interesting to see what happens with this considering the new rule)

They both run great routes

They both get good seperation

They are both short

They are both African American

Smith is tougher and faster though.

BIG edge - Smith.

Archived