The 'How good can Mangini be' and 'How bad was Herm' Thread

SouthernJet

Mangini:

I think he can instill continuity week to week and wont lose a game due to clock management

Herm:

Pretty damn awful

Mangini: We will see, although I do like how he is running things so far.

Herm: When Wannstedt was fired, Herm was immediately crowned with the "worst coach in the league" title in my opinion. We had some great teams with great talent under Herm. I have no doubt that John Fox or Marvin Lewis would have had us to an AFC championship game and even possibly a SB with the team Herm had. Given our terrible history, it is a shame that one of our most talented rosters was stained with a terrible coach.

Mangini: We will see, although I do like how he is running things so far.

Herm: When Wannstedt was fired, Herm was immediately crowned with the "worst coach in the league" title in my opinion. We had some great teams with great talent under Herm. I have no doubt that John Fox or Marvin Lewis would have had us to an AFC championship game and even possibly a SB with the team Herm had. Given our terrible history, it is a shame that one of our most talented rosters was stained with a terrible coach.

There is a reason Combs has Hannity.

The last great Jets team was the 1998 team.

Herm took on an aging cap challenged team.

Jets' fans might not want to admit this, but Herm, while not without faults, did good in a no-win situation. Mangini while bright, was a DC for only one season. He is now in charge of a team in shambles. Want to see the outcome? Go check out Belichick's Browns. Like QBs, few coaches are immediately successful. I would be willing to bet vCash that Mangini will be a good coach one day. On his next job though.

At this point, it appears that Mangini is doing the right things. Does not look to be the old form over substance so to speak. Hopefully this will not be a learning ground for his next NFL head coaching job where he does well but rather a John Fox or Marving Lewis or Bill Parcells. Having said Parcells, I will add here that he never has been to a Super Bowl without having Belichick on his staff.

Jets' fans might not want to admit this, but Herm, while not without faults, did good in a no-win situation. Mangini while bright, was a DC for only one season. He is now in charge of a team in shambles. Want to see the outcome? Go check out Belichick's Browns. Like QBs, few coaches are immediately successful. I would be willing to bet vCash that Mangini will be a good coach one day. On his next job though.

I don't put ANY weight in a post that references Hannity and Combs.

what a load of crap,,

I am a Tarheel fan and i want NC State coach Chuck Amato to stay cause he sucks,,,

same analogy ,,pats fans are afraid of mangini and tanny...

what anti-jet fan wouldnt want that idiot herm to stay,,,

Herm did nothing to save the cap. While Terry Bradway had major faults himself, he did a fantastic job of reapiring our cap situation in a very short time. Most people hated what he did giving HOU Glenn/Robinson/Young, but it was the very thing that initiated our ascent from cap hell and was a genius move. They only inherited an old team in terms of LB's. The OL was relatively young or in its prime, and they received the core of what was to become our star talent from Bill's last draft (Pennington/Ellis/Abraham). Terry struck out on a high rate of draftees, but he also found some solid players that became solid contributing starters early on.

Our 2004 team was the best since 1998, and IMO rivaled that team in just about every aspect. The only reason we only won 10 games was solely due to coaching (BAL, StL were atrocious examples of coaching), and the sole reason we lost to PIT in the playoffs was coaching. We had 2 timeouts with 1:36 seconds left already in range for a mid 40's FG, and Herm opts to run down the clock and take a knee so his already shaky kicker can attemt a FG from a distance that had never been converted in that stadium. The only other coach in the NFL who may have done something so stupid was Marty Schottenheimer. I have every confidence in the world that Fox or Lewis would have handled that situation much better.

Herm did nothing to save the cap. While Terry Bradway had major faults himself, he did a fantastic job of reapiring our cap situation in a very short time. Most people hated what he did giving HOU Glenn/Robinson/Young, but it was the very thing that initiated our ascent from cap hell and was a genius move. They only inherited an old team in terms of LB's. The OL was relatively young or in its prime, and they received the core of what was to become our star talent from Bill's last draft (Pennington/Ellis/Abraham). Terry struck out on a high rate of draftees, but he also found some solid players that became solid contributing starters early on.

Our 2004 team was the best since 1998, and IMO rivaled that team in just about every aspect. The only reason we only won 10 games was solely due to coaching (BAL, StL were atrocious examples of coaching), and the sole reason we lost to PIT in the playoffs was coaching. We had 2 timeouts with 1:36 seconds left already in range for a mid 40's FG, and Herm opts to run down the clock and take a knee so his already shaky kicker can attemt a FG from a distance that had never been converted in that stadium. The only other coach in the NFL who may have done something so stupid was Marty Schottenheimer. I have every confidence in the world that Fox or Lewis would have handled that situation much better.

Owned

. I have every confidence in the world that Fox or Lewis would have handled that situation much better.

but bradways lasting legacy will be his last 3 interviews were lewis, herm and fox,,,

he had a 66% chance of getting it right,,and whiffed..

he passed over 2 proven DCs and picked a DB coach,,

MAJOR WHIFF that effected Jets for years to come,,,

what a load of crap,,

I am a Tarheel fan and i want NC State coach Chuck Amato to stay cause he sucks,,,

same analogy ,,pats fans are afraid of mangini and tanny...

what anti-jet fan wouldnt want that idiot herm to stay,,,

Read what I said and the reference to Belichick. I am not saying Mangini is terrible. There is alot to learn.

You are going to experience what Brown fans have been experiencing the last 5 years. "Where was that Belichick when he was here?"

I said it with Herm and I will say it with Mangini, you have a potentially very good coach, they just need to learn. I think Herm would have been better served going somewhere as a DC before assuming another HC position. That was the biggest factor in Belichick progression.....stepping back and learning from his mistakes.

Read what I said and the reference to Belichick. I am not saying Mangini is terrible. There is alot to learn.

You are going to experience what Brown fans have been experiencing the last 5 years. "Where was that Belichick when he was here?"

I said it with Herm and I will say it with Mangini, you have a potentially very good coach, they just need to learn. I think Herm would have been better served going somewhere as a DC before assuming another HC position. That was the biggest factor in Belichick progression.....stepping back and learning from his mistakes.

dont buy it,,,

belly had a slew of political crap goin against him in cleveland,,

apples and oranges,,,

only time will tell,,

herm wont be a good hc ever though,,will he have some good team ,,maybe with decent coordinators, but he himself will never out startegize another coach,,he will never outthink a HC in 2nd half,,he just doesnt have football101 coaching smarts

Herm did nothing, peiod.

Talk about delusional! Mangini will not be the Pats head coach, stop rooting for him to suck as a head coach like BB sucked at cleveland so that you can scoop him up later on. You guys really have that much of a hard on for him, wow! Your reign has already ended, move on and let us begin ours.

Mangini:

I think he can instill continuity week to week and wont lose a game due to clock management

Herm:

Pretty damn awful

Mangini. One year as a defensive coordinator. Led the Patriots defense to its worse showing in decades. Here's the facts:

31st in defensive takeaways

31st in pass defense

26th in total defense

5th most penalized defensive unit in the NFL.

The hype?. Cliches about putting smart, tough players in a position to make plays and not make mistakes. Reality: All the 20 hours (I'm working hard) days watching film, creating innovative game plans results in a team, poorly prepared, didn't make plays and took more stupid defensive penalties than 27 other NFL teams.

:eek:

According to the Daily News, four teams contacted the Jets about the availablility of acquiring Herman Edwards as a HC even though it would mean draft pick compensation, not a single team in the NFL had even the slightest interest in a failed 35 year old defensive coordinator. Mangini was hired because he was Mike Tannenbaum's best friend in the world the two of them having interned together with the old Cleveland Browns. The last Jet HC hired because of a close and personal relationship regardless of actual qualifications was when Leon Hess hired Rich Kotite because he 'loved' him like a son when Kotite was the Jets TE coach before he moved on to the Eagles.

Mangini and Kotite were both hired for the same reason Mike Brown was hired to run FEMA.... A disaster in the making.

Mangini. One year as a defensive coordinator. Led the Patriots defense to its worse showing in decades. Here's the facts:

31st in defensive takeaways

31st in pass defense

26th in total defense

5th most penalized defensive unit in the NFL.

The hype?. Cliches about putting smart, tough players in a position to make plays and not make mistakes. Reality: All the 20 hours (I'm working hard) days watching film, creating innovative game plans results in a team, poorly prepared, didn't make plays and took more stupid defensive penalties than 27 other NFL teams.

:eek:

According to the Daily News, four teams contacted the Jets about the availablility of acquiring Herman Edwards as a HC even though it would mean draft pick compensation, not a single team in the NFL had even the slightest interest in a failed 35 year old defensive coordinator. Mangini was hired because he was Mike Tannenbaum's best friend in the world the two of them having interned together with the old Cleveland Browns. The last Jet HC hired because of a close and personal relationship regardless of actual qualifications was when Leon Hess hired Rich Kotite because he 'loved' him like a son when Kotite was the Jets TE coach before he moved on to the Eagles.

Mangini and Kotite were both hired for the same reason Mike Brown was hired to run FEMA.... A disaster in the making.

4 teams wanted to go backwards? Please identify those four teams and don't refer me to the daily news article because I just want to know the 4 teams that were willing to part with draft picks for that idiot of a head coach that lied to EVERYONE, specifically us the fans.

Don't worry, you don't have to consider yourself a fan to respond.

4 teams wanted to go backwards? Please identify those four teams and don't refer me to the daily news article because I just want to know the 4 teams that were willing to part with draft picks for that idiot of a head coach that lied to EVERYONE, specifically us the fans.

Thank you. Rest assured if there were 4 teams interested in parting with a draft pick for Herm, we damn well would have done better than a 6th from KC.

Raffy c'mon. It's from the same Daily News whose Jets beat writer told us that Herm was eyeing the KC job back in week 1 when he & Lia broke bread with Carl & the Mrs.

dont buy it,,,

belly had a slew of political crap goin against him in cleveland,,

apples and oranges,,,

only time will tell,,

herm wont be a good hc ever though,,will he have some good team ,,maybe with decent coordinators, but he himself will never out startegize another coach,,he will never outthink a HC in 2nd half,,he just doesnt have football101 coaching smarts

True, but he fumbled alot of things. The draft. He micro-managed. He antagonized fans, players and reporters alike. He did show the ability to build a defense and he did help turn an old team around and beat his mentor, but he also did alot of things wrong.

raffyD

Nothing?

Jets' fans love to say the Jets were a missed FG from the AFC Championship game.

Not exactly nothing now is it?

Jets' ans love to talk how they went to the playoffs 2 of 3 years.

Herm might not be a master strategist, but his has some traits that are good and kept this team afloat while it transformed it's roster during budget constraints.

True, but he fumbled alot of things. The draft. He micro-managed. He antagonized fans, players and reporters alike. He did show the ability to build a defense and he did help turn an old team around and beat his mentor, but he also did alot of things wrong.

raffyD

Nothing?

Jets' fans love to say the Jets were a missed FG from the AFC Championship game.

Jets' ans love to talk how they went to the playoffs 2 of 3 years.

Herm might not be a master strategist, but his has some traits that are good and kept this team afloat while it transformed it's roster during budget constraints.

Yeah nothing, as in he was not a head coach. I will give you this, he could probably get a midget fired up to play in an NBA game but as far as being a head coach, i.e., strategizing, game planning, making adjustments, etc., he did nothing. The fvcker had me fooled from day one, preachin' his bs and you know damn well hindsight is 20/20 and in this case it has allowed me to see the snake that he really was. I am embarrased he was our hc and I feel sorry for kc and their fans because they are a good organization and don't deserve what they are getting.

Not to mention the fact that he got a pay raise after a 4-12 season and is looking like he will make millions based on his bs for years to come. That irks me.

Hey Lia(aka rajensenedwards), we're still awaiting these 4 teams(run by morons, imbeciles and drunks, I'd suspect) who were clamoring for Coach Jerk Chicken.

Ask Rich Cimini if anyone other than Peterson was looking to hire this a-hole.

Plain and simple, after 5 years of an idiot making a mess Mangini will be better immediately. The password is "priorities".

Enjoy Walmart, Lia, while Hermie's off to his "Loser Within" speaking engagements. Don't max out the card, though your hubby cannot do simple math(clocks and such), so may be you get away with it. Plus, he talks so much you probably couldn't get a word in edgewise to tell him.

Archived