(8/3) Cimini: For Jets, backup RB plan

Sperm Edwards

For Jets, backup RB plan

The Jets are exploring the running-back market, according to sources, an indication the club might not think Curtis Martin will be ready for the opener, if at all.

Martin, on the physically-unable-to-perform list with a lingering knee injury, hasn't been on the practice field since training camp opened. Martin, 33, has said he wants to play this season, but there are growing indications he might not fit in the Jets' plans.

The organization has tremendous respect for Martin's ability to recover from injuries, and the physically-unable-to-perform designation could be its way of giving him one last chance to get healthy. At the same time, the front office is scouring the league, investigating options.

Two veteran backs could end up on the trading block - Chris Brown (Titans) and Thomas Jones (Bears). Brown already has formally requested a trade, but it was denied by Tennessee management. Jones could be expendable because of Chicago's big investment in former No. 1 pick Cedric Benson.

Chances are, the Jets will wait a game or two before doing anything, giving them a chance to evaluate Cedric Houston, Derrick Blaylock and rookie Leon Washington. By then, they also could have a better handle on Martin's condition.

Coach Eric Mangini has refused to put a timetable on Martin, saying the NFL's fourth all-time leading rusher will practice when he's "physically able." If Martin isn't activated by the end of the preseason, the Jets can put him on the regular-season PUP list, requiring him to sit out the first six weeks.

notebook.gif

NIGHT MOVES: Because of the intense heat, Mangini changed yesterday's practice time from 2p.m. to 5:45. "I wasn't too disappointed," TE Chris Baker said.

Today, the Jets have two sessions, but the afternoon practice is closed to the public.

GUARD DUTY: G Pete Kendall hurt his left arm in practice and didn't return. Doug Neinhuis and Norm Katnick split the first-team reps in Kendall's spot. The club didn't provide an update on Kendall. ...WR Dante Ridgeway may have suffered a significant knee injury. He tried to walk off the field after getting hurt, but crumpled to the ground. ... SS Erik Coleman (flu), CB David Barrett (leg) and NT Sione Pouha (knee) didn't practice. Coleman has missed five straight days with what one source described as a "flu virus." The Jets haven't provided any details. ... Rookie WR Brad Smith, the former Missouri quarterback, made a circus catch for a touchdown, grabbing a deflected pass as he fell to the ground.

Rich Cimini

Originally published on August 3, 2006

Hard to say between Jones & Brown.

Jones I think is the better talent and is bigger (Jones is 5" shorter but weighs the same). Neither has been the poster-boy for durability, but Brown's upright running style will always make him more injury-prone. On the flip-side, Jones is going to be 28 yrs old in 2 weeks; Brown turned 25 in April. Don't know if age is as much of a factor with Jones, though, since he's had barely over 1000 carries in 6 years. Missing games to injury in each season he was the primary back (including right now) is a concern when you factor in he's going to want a new deal with a new SB. Draft-pick wise, Jones would probably be more expensive (probably a #2).

If we can get Jones for a #3 or lower and a SB in the $6-7M range I say do it. But if the price is a #2 and/or a $10M+ SB, forget it. If we're lucky he'll be productive for 2-3 seasons before he hits the wall.

Brown? I think given his inury history, the lack of demand, & the fact that Tenn really doesn't need him, he shouldn't command more than a #4 pick. He's still young, is a good receiver, and shouldn't get much more than a $4-5M SB at the most to extend beyond this year (if done right now).

Hard to say between Jones & Brown.

Jones I think is the better talent and is bigger (Jones is 5" shorter but weighs the same). Neither has been the poster-boy for durability, but Brown's upright running style will always make him more injury-prone. On the flip-side, Jones is going to be 28 yrs old in 2 weeks; Brown turned 25 in April. Don't know if age is as much of a factor with Jones, though, since he's had barely over 1000 carries in 6 years. Missing games to injury in each season he was the primary back (including right now) is a concern when you factor in he's going to want a new deal with a new SB. Draft-pick wise, Jones would probably be more expensive (probably a #2).

If we can get Jones for a #3 or lower and a SB in the $6-7M range I say do it. But if the price is a #2 and/or a $10M+ SB, forget it. If we're lucky he'll be productive for 2-3 seasons before he hits the wall.

Brown? I think given his inury history, the lack of demand, & the fact that Tenn really doesn't need him, he shouldn't command more than a #4 pick. He's still young, is a good receiver, and shouldn't get much more than a $4-5M SB at the most to extend beyond this year (if done right now).

great analogy sperm. makes sense to me. I'd take jones over brown, buts its more of a gut feeling than in depth knowledge.Savage must be crushed about the workout warrior not working out eh?

Best scenario..Martin Retires.

Trade Blaylock...

Thomas Jones/Houston/WAshington

I disagree. Veteran running backs are a necessity in my opinion. Blaylock has been around longer than any of these guys, but he has not seen too much PT. This guy was hurt last year folks. I like Blaylock's potential, but I do not think he is an everydown back by any means. Houston will not ammount to much, and Washington is up in the air. I would not mind seeing the combination of Blaylock/Jones.

Are you a USC fan or just hating on UCLA?

I'm actually a Rutgers fan. Yeah, I'm a fan of the Jets in the NFL and Rutgers in NCAA so I'm basically a glutton for punishment. As horrific a program as Rutgers has been it has produced quite a few NFL players. LJ Smith, Gary Brackett and Ray Lucas to name a few.

I think Lendale White is going to do some nice things in the NFL.

Archived